Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Can This Be Done with the BenQ W1070?

I'm redoing my HT and wondering if I can use a Constant Image Height screen with my BenQ1070. My guess is that its zooming capabilities are too weak, but I've read differing opinions, so what do the rest of say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Take a look at this to start:

The best I can do with the BenQ 1070 is a 2.64 throw ratio given it's short throw. This (at least with the CineVista lens) introduces a quite a bit of pincushion, partially resolved with my curved screen.

However, the experience is fantastic with movie images using CIH, but you could also consider a 16x9 screen and use masking panels for the scope movies.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks for responding, Keith!

Is that your video? It looks amazing.

Can you give me an outline of the steps you took to get to 2.64? I'm assuming it is impossible without the CineVista lens? I have an Oppo 93 ... I wonder if that would help.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The 2.64 I was referring to is the throw ratio (ratio of projector throw distance to screen height) for the BenQ - you might be thinking of the screen ratio (ie., 2.35:1).

What I was making note of was that with the 1070 and the CineVista lens (my CIH setup using an anamorphic lens), the greatest possible throw ratio value is 2.64. This value relates specifically to the design characteristics of the lens. In the case of the CineVista, 2.5 is minimum, with 3.0 to 3.5 optimal. Being so close to minimum in my case results in quite a bit of pincushion.

I wanted to respond to your request about using the BenQ in a CIH setup - yes it can be done - and likely other lenses could provide better results at these throw ratio levels, though they could be considerably more expensive.

As an alternative, I experimented using a 2.35 screen, the 1070, and my Oppo 103. I found that if you displayed the scope image zoomed with the black bars off the top and bottom of the screen, you could watch a 16:9 movie sized at almost the height of the 2.35 screen by performing a 1/2 zoom on the Oppo. Unfortunately, the Oppo will only do this with DVD/Blu-ray source, not with cable/sat/Xbox images.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat
Gear in this thread - W1070? by PriceGrabber.com