Panasonic AE8000U or Epson 5030 with Lumagen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChldsPlay

post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Panasonic AE8000U or Epson 5030 with Lumagen?

Looking at getting a projector for my pending CIH theater setup. I was pretty much dead set on the Panasonic because of the auto zoom/lens memory. A local installer is pushimg the Epson and suggesting I use the Lumagen to shrink the imge for 16:9 material so I don't have to adjust the zoom once it is set for 2:35. My concern there is with losing resolution when I do that. Cost of the Lumagen isn't a factor as I will have it either way.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nevermind, I went ahead and bought the Panny.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you get a Lumagen as well? If so, how did it turn out? I'm also considering going with the AE8000U with a Lumagen specifically for a CIH with 2.35:1 screen. I keep getting more confused with each thread I read on here about various projectors, screens, etc.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdelaware View Post
Did you get a Lumagen as well? If so, how did it turn out? I'm also considering going with the AE8000U with a Lumagen specifically for a CIH with 2.35:1 screen. I keep getting more confused with each thread I read on here about various projectors, screens, etc.
You don't need the Lumagen to scale the image with the AE8000U. Lens memory will take care of resizing for you with no resolution loss.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-11-2015, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, the projector does have the lens memory settings but it won't convert 16:9 content to fit a scope screen. I really don't like the black bars. My question/concern is with how the Lumagen performs with the AE8000U. What is the image quality like? I've read a lot of reviews on the various Lumagen products with most raving about it while some said it wasn't worth the price paid. Kinda wanted to hear from someone that has both the projector that I want mated with a Lumagen to see if they'd do it the same if they had to do it all over again.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-11-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The feedback on the Lumagen has always been very positive from all of the mentions I have seen on here. I'm fairly sure the Lumagen can crop an image in the fashion you are describing. Home theater enthusiasts are usually interested in preserving aspect ratio and intended shot composition, so I don't recall this use case being discussed. I find pillar boxing to be a non-issue and much less noticeable than letterboxing. Mainly because, unless you are width limited, maximizing for height makes all formats as large as they can/should be. Unlike a letterboxed scope image where it is much smaller than it should be. Masking the pillar boxes also helps to remove any thoughts of unused screen space if that bothers you. Still whatever makes you happy. The Lumagen is a great product and should be able to get you where you want to be. I'm sure an owner will chime in with a definitive answer.

post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2015, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdelaware View Post
I did get the Lumagen, and I also had calibration done with the Lumagen. However, I can't speak for how it looks. It's still in the box, along with my projector and speakers. I'm getting close on my theater construction, so I might know in a few weeks. My main reason for getting the Lumagen (with a projector that has lens memory) was for movies with shifting aspect ratios. I am curious to see how that feature makes other films/games look however and will experiment when I get the chance. I have seen the Panny in action before at someone else's theater and was satisfied with it, even when it wasn't calibrated.
mrdelaware likes this.

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat
Gear in this thread