• 1 Post By Seegs108
  • 1 Post By CAVX

post #1 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ISCO III opening

Has any one opened an ISCO iii to clean it?
Dont know how to open it. Is it possible that just opening it and cleaning it without adjusment being moved?Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by knsy View Post
Has any one opened an ISCO iii to clean it?
Dont know how to open it. Is it possible that just opening it and cleaning it without adjusment being moved?Thanks.
Sorry, No, I have not. A special tool required to get the first part off. I fully expect there is no index on the glass to auto-align it. And when it's assembled it's done in a clean room environment. The cylinders must be aligned on their vertical axis perfectly. I would not attempt it mainly due to risking damaging the coatings which are fragile. And, you have the risk of letting the cam mechanism come apart, not sure what it takes to reassemble the cam. But if one could get it apart without damaging the glass or coatings, and you don't lose any parts, I suppose worst case is you have to send it in for repair anyway.

This begs the question, how did it get dirty on the inside anyway? It's a sealed lens. If it's dirty on the inside, I'd say something (bad) happened or maybe you have fungus on the lens. I haven't known of one of these to get fungus, but I've heard of it in optical lenses.

Last edited by GetGray; 08-25-2014 at 07:33 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you very much for your reply.
The ISCO is not completely sealed.Still dust can get through from the sides and stay inside the lens.
There four holes in the front two in the back and one at the side. I guess the second pair holes and back pair holes are adjustment related. May be the first pair and the side one is the key to open it.
Maybe the structure is too complex for person to open it.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Welcome. Isco disagrees with you re sealed. It's O-ring sealed internally. Or it was.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Even if you could get the thing apart, yes you risk the alignment being out when you reassemble the lens and it must be 100% or it won't focus properly corner to corner.

Cleaning the glass is both a science and an art form. I built myself a cleaning station with constant air flow to prevent airborne/statically charged particles settling back down on the glass. I use an LED back light light so I can see both of the surfaces of the lens that need cleaning or have particles on them.

I do my alignment in the light path before cleaning.

I then take the A-Lens to the cleaning station and remove the rectangle front lens in the wind path, clean the back lens, then the front lens and reassemble the A-Lens all in the air flow.

I then take it back to the projector to re-check the alignment.

I have times when this has taken hours because something moved and I have had to repeat the process several times.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #6 of 10 Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I'll have to find my receipt, but for ISCO to clean it will only cost you around $300. They take it apart fully, relube everything, clean the optics, and then re-align everything as they put it back together. This is all done at their factory in Germany. Though, they may do cleanings at the Schneider Optics USA headquarters in California. Mine was sent to the factory in Germany because my focus ring needed to be fixed as well. To make sure this is done right it's really worth the cost.
John Schuermann likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
And $300 is nothing compared to the price of a new lens.
John Schuermann likes this.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM

Liked: 13
Three words: DON'T DO IT.

You'll never get it back together properly.

The ONLY way to clean lenses thoroughly is to completely remove them from their mounting so that deposits on the mount are not brought onto the glass surface. This needs to be done in a jig that holds the lens element only by the barest edges. Trying to clean a lens in its original mount is a mug's game.

The Isco lens would be hermetically sealed. Any quality lens is hermetically sealed. Our lenses have 5 greased O-ring seals, with all screw holes to the outside filled with industrial thread sealer, for example.

Dust and moisture accumulate if there is no seal. Moisture will inevitably cause a fungal buildup. You'll never get fungus off, as it eats into the coating. Dust is not so much of a problem unless it gets very dense. Although regarding dust, some lenses are (amazingly) open to the air. Some even come with cleaning instructions for internal elements. I shudder whenever I see this.

Cleaning lenses is an art as well as a science. It involves the right combination of solvents, proper techniques, cleanroom-specified cleaning swabs (we use an average 30 per lens, as they can only be used once) and luck. There will always be one annoying speck of dust that seems to come from nowhere. So regular inspection throughout the clean and assembly process is mandatory.

It's not only the lenses that need to be clean. The housings need to be perfectly dust free too. We water-blast ours - every part - then triple rinse in de-ionized water, finishing off with a double rinse in distilled water, with a final rinse under clean room conditions in filtered, de-hydrated methanol to remove water and aid in drying.

Our lens sealing and cleaning process is performed in a an ISO Class 2 clean room environment under flowing, de-ionized air. This typically takes 2 hours.

Once assembled and sealed against dust (but not moisture, as yet), the lens is transported to a non clean room environment for calibration with a video microscope, laser calibrated stand, projector and screen. This rotational calibration has to be performed to within a cumulative 1/50th of a degree of rotation across all three groups of elements.

Rotation is absolutely a key factor with cylindrical anamorphic lenses, as they have no vertical power, only horizontal power.

The slightest error in alignment of rotation will first cause a skewed image (i.e. it will be slightly out of rectangular alignment). After a 1/10th of a degree of cumulative error 4K performance suffers. At 1/15th of a degree nominal "4K" performance becomes "2K". At 1/8th a degree error nominal "4K" becomes 720p (plus, of course a centimeter of skew on a 120" screen). Our lenses are set up using an 8K test pattern, guaranteed to deliver better than 4K performance.

The end target result is guaranteed 4K performance, with a skew factor of less than 1mm in 3000mm (0.03%).

When the calibration is completed the O-ring seals are tightened, thus sealing not only against dust but also against moisture. Our lenses are moisture sealed to 15 metres equivalent depth of water.

Having said that, a simple two-lens-group device like the Isco requires only one lens to be rotated against the other (which can remain fixed as the "datum" lens). Our lenses require TWO groups to be rotated against the third to achieve the same consistency and clarity of image. That is why our specifications and procedures are so strict.

Trying to do this yourself, without any fixed guides like laser levels, calibrated stands and projectors, NOT in a clean room - apart from all the fiddly mechanical aspects like trying to engage a multi-start focusing thread accurately - is a horrifying prospect. If you DIY it, the lens will almost undoubtedly be out of alignment and filthier than it was when you started, probably with solvent smudges and dust everywhere from the cleaning swabs. If you do try it, DON't use water-based cleaning solutions as they inevitably leave tiny droplets that evaporate and turn into micro-rings of mineral deposits all over the glass surfaces. These will eat into the coatings permanently and you'll never get them off.

Better to get it done by the professionals at Schneider. If they have to remove fungus, that "$300" figure mentioned above will skyrocket, as the lens(es) will need to be stripped of their coatings (both sides) and re-coated.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wow Tony - what a process! No way would I think of trying to clean a lens after that description.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 AM

Liked: 13
Stephen, it's all part of what you have to do to make a good lens that consistently outperforms the opposition.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page