• 1 Post By jeahrens
  • 1 Post By John Schuermann

post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HT screen and projector recommendations

I've been reading through a lot of posts and reviews on projectors/screens for a basement home theatre. I was about to purchase a projector but the salesman put a bug in my ear about Ultrawidescreen and i've been back to the drawing board.

My room dimensions are 14 ft wide, 17 1/2 feet long. There is a 16 in valence around the perimeter of the room due to ducting in the ceiling. The wall with the screen is 7 1/2 feet from the bottom of the valence to the floor.

I had a projector space built into the valence at the back of the room. The opening of the valence for the projector is 12 1/2 feet from the wall (roughly). There is some room to move the projector farther back in the space.

My plan is to achieve CIH using the zoom technique and a 2.40 ratio screen.

I have several questions:

1. Any recommendations to a projector to use in this setup? I had been planning on getting a Epson 6030 which says it have the ability to have a anamorphic lens in the future. However, it doesn't have memory settings for zoom between 16:9 and 2.40:1 so I think that rules it out for me. The other I have looked into is the Panasonic AE8000 but am open to other suggestions!

2. I have tried playing with the Projection Calculator Pro on projectorcentral.com to help with screen size and projector distance but it doesn't seem to fit with the size of my room and projectors I'm looking at. I may just setup the projector once I've finalized that and then choose the screen size based on what it looks like in the room.

I'd be happy to hear any other comments about what can help with my choices and moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by norco_extreme View Post
I've been reading through a lot of posts and reviews on projectors/screens for a basement home theatre. I was about to purchase a projector but the salesman put a bug in my ear about Ultrawidescreen and i've been back to the drawing board.

My room dimensions are 14 ft wide, 17 1/2 feet long. There is a 16 in valence around the perimeter of the room due to ducting in the ceiling. The wall with the screen is 7 1/2 feet from the bottom of the valence to the floor.

I had a projector space built into the valence at the back of the room. The opening of the valence for the projector is 12 1/2 feet from the wall (roughly). There is some room to move the projector farther back in the space.

My plan is to achieve CIH using the zoom technique and a 2.40 ratio screen.

I have several questions:

1. Any recommendations to a projector to use in this setup? I had been planning on getting a Epson 6030 which says it have the ability to have a anamorphic lens in the future. However, it doesn't have memory settings for zoom between 16:9 and 2.40:1 so I think that rules it out for me. The other I have looked into is the Panasonic AE8000 but am open to other suggestions!

2. I have tried playing with the Projection Calculator Pro on projectorcentral.com to help with screen size and projector distance but it doesn't seem to fit with the size of my room and projectors I'm looking at. I may just setup the projector once I've finalized that and then choose the screen size based on what it looks like in the room.

I'd be happy to hear any other comments about what can help with my choices and moving forward.
The AE8000 is a good low cost option for you. Normally I would steer you towards the JVC RS46, but that model appears to be out of production for now. With a 7.5 ft ceiling and a pedestal mounted center speaker, you are probably looking at 5' max for a screen height. With that in mind, somewhere around a 120" 2.35:1 screen is what you would want. That would be 110"x47". That gives you ~2'5" on either side of the screen for the L/R speakers.

The easiest way to calculate whether a projector will work or not is to either find a calculator with a built-in 2.35:1 option or calculate the equivalent 16:9 screen size using the width for the larger image and the height for the smaller. So using the Panasonic with a 120" 2.35:1 screen the larger screen would be equivalent to a 127" 16:9 screen and the smaller equivalent to a 96" 16:9 screen. Plug that into the calculator and you have a range of 12'4"-24'9" on the big picture and 9'5" - 18'10" on the smaller. Which just fits what you want.

Last edited by jeahrens; 09-02-2014 at 02:03 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I'd give AV Science a call about the JVC RS49/RS4910. They have lens shift, lens memory, unmatched contrast, and well, really it's about the best projector you can buy for the money these days. It's more than the Panasonic or Epson, but not necessarily a lot more, and it's in another league in performance. About the only concern would be if you plan to game a lot, apparently have a rather large amount of lag, but for video watching that's a non issue.
John Schuermann likes this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
The AE8000 is a good low cost option for you. Normally I would steer you towards the JVC RS46, but that model appears to be out of production for now. With a 7.5 ft ceiling and a pedestal mounted center speaker, you are probably looking at 5' max for a screen height. With that in mind, somewhere around a 120" 2.35:1 screen is what you would want. That would be 110"x47". That gives you ~2'5" on either side of the screen for the L/R speakers.

The easiest way to calculate whether a projector will work or not is to either find a calculator with a built-in 2.35:1 option or calculate the equivalent 16:9 screen size using the width for the larger image and the height for the smaller. So using the Panasonic with a 120" 2.35:1 screen the larger screen would be equivalent to a 127" 16:9 screen and the smaller equivalent to a 96" 16:9 screen. Plug that into the calculator and you have a range of 12'4"-24'9" on the big picture and 9'5" - 18'10" on the smaller. Which just fits what you want.
Thanks for the info. I've checked and would be able to pick up a JVC X500 in Canada with a good bundle right now. Would that work with my room dimensions and projector position for the 120" 2.35:1 screen?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I've checked and would be able to pick up a JVC X500 in Canada with a good bundle right now. Would that work with my room dimensions and projector position for the 120" 2.35:1 screen?
It looks like the JVC would need to be a minimum of 12' 11" to work with a 120" 2.35:1 screen.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-...ulator-pro.htm

So if you have any wiggle room to move it further back, you could go that route.
John Schuermann likes this.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
It looks like the JVC would need to be a minimum of 12' 11" to work with a 120" 2.35:1 screen.

So if you have any wiggle room to move it further back, you could go that route.
To update, I've picked up a JVC RS4910 projector. In the manual, for installation in an enclosure, it recommends 12 inches on side of the projector and 9 inches above the projector which is more space than I currently have. Base on this, I am looking at redoing the bulkhead ceiling which leave the option of a ceiling mounted projector which could also be farther away from the screen.

Any recommended distances or do I just put it as far back in my room as possible?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
To update, I've picked up a JVC RS4910 projector. In the manual, for installation in an enclosure, it recommends 12 inches on side of the projector and 9 inches above the projector which is more space than I currently have. Base on this, I am looking at redoing the bulkhead ceiling which leave the option of a ceiling mounted projector which could also be farther away from the screen.

Any recommended distances or do I just put it as far back in my room as possible?
A longer throw means that the light beam will pass through the "best" part of the projector lens - the middle. It also generally means higher contrast (at the expense of some brightness). With a 120" screen, you should not have any brightness issues though.

Going to about 3X the screen height will put you in a good location, plus will work well if you ever decide to add an anamorphic lens.
norco_extreme likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

Check out my new movie!:
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Tags
cih , newbie , projector , throw

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page