To curve or not to curve - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-05-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To curve or not to curve

After having to let go of my curved 142" 2.35:1 screen (due to moving and having less space) im looking to get a new one max 100" - Living in norway my choices are very limited, basically just one shop sells these here. Price for the curved and the standard one are twice as much in difference.
Now i dont really have the cash for the curved one and ive been waiting for a good 7-8 months for a price drop without any luck. Ive looked at amazon and such for other options but there seems to be few available and if i find one its usually not available for shipping to me.

Now my questions are:

1. Ive never (besides in the cinema) seen a standard 2.35:1 screen - How is the difference noticable between the 2 types? (i do still have my anamorphic lens)
2. Are there any places that sell cinemascope screens for a reasonable amount and also ships internationally?

Thanx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by linneh View Post
After having to let go of my curved 142" 2.35:1 screen (due to moving and having less space) im looking to get a new one max 100" - Living in norway my choices are very limited, basically just one shop sells these here. Price for the curved and the standard one are twice as much in difference.
Now i dont really have the cash for the curved one and ive been waiting for a good 7-8 months for a price drop without any luck. Ive looked at amazon and such for other options but there seems to be few available and if i find one its usually not available for shipping to me.

Now my questions are:

1. Ive never (besides in the cinema) seen a standard 2.35:1 screen - How is the difference noticable between the 2 types? (i do still have my anamorphic lens)
2. Are there any places that sell cinemascope screens for a reasonable amount and also ships internationally?

Thanx in advance
Do you see distortion with that target screen size with your current setup? If yes, then look at a curved screen. If no, then do not. You will actually introduce distortion. A curved screen is not aesthetic choice, it is used to remove distortion introduced with a lens in certain scenarios. I've seen a couple in older theaters. They do look impressive with the lights on. Once the movie starts, you no longer know it's curved.

Monoprice offers inexpensive flat scope screens (I have one). They have a 110" 2.35:1 screen.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Q – Does Monoprice ship to International countries?
A - Monoprice currently ships to the following countries; United States, Puerto Rico, APO/FPO, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Bermuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Uruguay and Venezuela. You may add the item(s) you would like to order in the Shopping Cart and then select from United States, Canada or Other Countries in order to generate a shipping rate. Once you have completed this, you can process your order online.

Hope that helps!

post #3 of 3 Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
As Jeahrens pointed out, a curved screen is used to remove anamorphic lens distortion in certain scenarios. If you mount the projector more than 3X the screen height back in the room, pincushion will be minimal and the need for a curved screen much less. Panamorph actually recommends a flat screen except in short throw scenarios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my new movie!:
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page