Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2.35 n00b seeks advice

Hey guys. I'm looking into the 2.35 thing in my new home theater. I have a Sony HW50ES projector that will be ceiling mounted about 14' from the screen. Haven't purchased a screen yet.

What are my options for a 2.35 image from the Sony? Panamorphic lens? Lumagen? Any general advice to a newcomer?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacos View Post
Hey guys. I'm looking into the 2.35 thing in my new home theater. I have a Sony HW50ES projector that will be ceiling mounted about 14' from the screen. Haven't purchased a screen yet.

What are my options for a 2.35 image from the Sony? Panamorphic lens? Lumagen? Any general advice to a newcomer?

Thanks!
Your best route would be a horizontal expansion lens, like the Panamorph. A good lens like the Panamorph will run you about $1500 or you can find a used example for about $1000. The only other option would be an inexpensive 2 prism lens which you can get a hold of for <$500. The picture quality will not be as good as the better lens, but it's certainly watchable.

The Lumagen route has a some concerns. The first is at 14' can the projector zoom out enough to fill the proposed 2.35:1 screen? The second is are you willing to compromise the resolution of non 2.35:1 material? This is assuming you will zoom the projector to fill the 2.35:1 screen (black bars spilling over the top/bottom) and then use the Lumagen to squeeze all other content to fit within the height of the screen.

post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 380
That projector is a manual zoom, so you're either going to have to deal with that, or add an anamorphic lens. Since the projector has the aspect ratio controls, you'd be set up for using a lens. (Have to go look again to see if you could leave the lens in place or not - whether the pj can squeeze)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 5 Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome. Thanks guys. Didn't know that the lumagen would require a zoom to full width. Definitely a deal killer in my setup.

Now I gotta figure out what I need to mount the lens via a ceiling mount. Other examples I've seen have the projector standing upright on a hanging shelf mounted from the ceiling...is that a requirement for a Panamorph lens? Are there mounting kits/sleds that can attach to the ceiling, a chief mount, or the projector itself?
post #5 of 5 Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacos View Post
Awesome. Thanks guys. Didn't know that the lumagen would require a zoom to full width. Definitely a deal killer in my setup.

Now I gotta figure out what I need to mount the lens via a ceiling mount. Other examples I've seen have the projector standing upright on a hanging shelf mounted from the ceiling...is that a requirement for a Panamorph lens? Are there mounting kits/sleds that can attach to the ceiling, a chief mount, or the projector itself?
Panamorph does make a CineVista mount specifically for the HW50. The projector can be either table or ceiling mounted.

Keep in mind that the CineVista is designed for a fixed installation, so if you want a transport you would either need to rig one yourself or take a look at the Panamorph UH480, which comes in a variety of moveable configurations.

You might contact Panamorph directly - they can answer all your install questions without any kind of sales pressure.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page