Affordable Anamorphic lens for 1000 or less ? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2015, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Affordable Anamorphic lens for 1000 or less ?

Hi sorry price is important for people like me , i have a 8350 and 8500 epson projectors
Somebody can let me know the most Affordable Anamorphic for my setup and how is the quality ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 155
If you scroll down on this front page you'll find someone asking the same question, here's their thread:

Can aneone help me buying A-lens for under $1000

Not much has changed in the last three months. The used market is your best bet. I saw an ISCO II sell for $1,100 in the AVS classifieds a couple weeks ago.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I picked up a used VC lens with really good optics, not a single blemish for 750 recently.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerito View Post
Hi sorry price is important for people like me , i have a 8350 and 8500 epson projectors
Somebody can let me know the most Affordable Anamorphic for my setup and how is the quality ?

You can find several 2 prism Horizontal Expansion (HE) lenses for $500 or less. Do they have picture issues? Yes. Do they still throw out a very nice image for their cost? Yes.

A Vertical Compression lens (VC) like the one mentioned above will have better optics, but this does not do what most people associate with an anamorphic lens. It does not expand the picture when in place. It compresses the anamorphic image back into the proper geometry but, again, does not widen anything.

I used a 2 prism HE lens for a year and was very pleased with it. Slide into place and the image expands to fill your scope screen. Slide back out and the image contracts to 16:9.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Panamorph's Cinevista lens, while not $ 1000.00, is a great lens for the money, and not too far off the mark. I've been impressed with the picture I've seen using this lens. Give us a call if interested !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
So, I'm looking for a "training wheels" animorphic lens for a JVC 4910 to go from 16X9 to 2.35-2.4:1 (I haven't bought a second screen yet)...unfortunately I've got it projecting through a porthole in a wall so I think a cylindrical lens is my only option, and they are generally more expensive, right?

Can anyone tell me what to look for...do I just need it to say 1.33X, stretch, animorphic?

I'm on the bay and seeing TONS of used cylindrical lenses, many made by ISCO, Schneider back in the 80's-90's...is there any reason one of these wouldn't work? Theres an Isco OPTIC for what looks like a deal and a Christie DE that would fit nicely if it wasn't so big.
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Last time I searched, most of the lenses on ebay were 2X or other non-1.33X ratios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page