Anamorphic lens setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By stanger89
  • 1 Post By mtnboydl

post #1 of 7 Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anamorphic lens setup

I've done some searching and am not 100% certain of my next steps. I will outline my steps so far, and if someone can help me define the next ones after that.

THANKS!!!

1. HW40ES projector with Prismasonic H-FE1500-R anamorphic lens
2. 115" 2.35:1 EliteScreen with the bottom of the screen at 36" (and the top at 86")
3. Planning on mounting the projector at 86" (projector has a 71% vertical shift, so I should be safe at a 50% shift?
4. Projector size is 17" wide and 19" deep (approximately) so the platform will be 17 wide, but I am unsure of the depth given the need to include the lens mounting.

Given the above, here are a few of the things I need to work out.

1: How deep should I make the platform?
2. Does the mounting of the anamorphic lens affect the ability to shift the image down, necessitating a need to mount the projector lower?
3. Can anyone offer pictures of their lens assembly/projector set up? I'd like to visualize the next steps!

You guys rock! I look forward to sharing my renovations soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnboydl View Post
1: How deep should I make the platform?
Wild guess, I'd say my Prismasonic HD5000 is about 6-8" deep. Ooh, I was close, according to this they're just over 6" deep:
http://www.prismasonic.com/images/drawings/p100m.pdf

Quote:
2. Does the mounting of the anamorphic lens affect the ability to shift the image down, necessitating a need to mount the projector lower?
Not really, you just have to tilt the lens so that it's perpendicular to the path of the light. Just make sure it's mounted far enough from the projector to account for the tilt.

Quote:
3. Can anyone offer pictures of their lens assembly/projector set up? I'd like to visualize the next steps!
There's a bunch in here:
The official 235:1 screen picture thread. Add your pictures!!
mtnboydl likes this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. Got it nice and calibrated last night, but haven't run a true source through it yet. Getting very excited! Lots of fiddling with the screws inside of the housing. No great guide for that part online that I could find!
post #4 of 7 Old 07-22-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Did you notice it shrinks the image height a touch? They are good for a prism based adapter.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #5 of 7 Old 07-22-2015, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

I did notice when I put the final lens in place after making the adjustments that it brought the screen size down some in both dimensions. This was frustrating mainly because I had to calibrate the lenses by moving the glass on front of and away from the lens every time.

I still have some pincushion effect with some lessening of the brightness at the far lateral edges, but this is mostly because of my desire to get as much size with a short throw. Only noticeable on a monochromatic image. Any movement and it isn't noticable. Masking has helped with the pincushion and I don't use it for ESPN or anything with straight lines that would be bent in the horizontal axis.

Very happy with the end result (especially for getting it used for 1k!)
CAVX likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0

I have the FXV200 installed with EPson projector . Installation manual indicated do not use vertical or hozirontal shift. I also have some pincushion issue and can be seen when use projector with computer. No ajustment or claibration would get rif of it. I do not think there a way of get rid of it and appeared to be the anamorphic lens design.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by annamiata View Post

I have the FXV200 installed with EPson projector . Installation manual indicated do not use vertical or hozirontal shift. I also have some pincushion issue and can be seen when use projector with computer. No ajustment or claibration would get rif of it. I do not think there a way of get rid of it and appeared to be the anamorphic lens design.
I'm not familiar with your lens but I believe most mounts allow you to tilt the A lens... Allowing you to use vertical lens shift by keeping the light path within the optics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat