AVS Forum banner

Epson 5040UB

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  ScottAvery 
#1 ·
Just curious guys...is this PJ a viable option for the cinema scope screen? I'm surprised no one has taken the plunge! :)

#4 ·
Who makes the 145" screen you have? Is it white, grey? Gain? I was thinking of using a 133" or 138" 2.35:1 (it's been a while since I last thought about this) and then I'd have a 110" 16:9. My wife doesn't want a screen that's too big, and I figured that'd be perfect, but options seem limited.

#6 ·
Will it be good for 165" 4k pc gaming setup?

#7 ·
Also, does it match the native 4k picture quality?

Thanks

#8 ·
anamorphic screen epson 5040 ub

Hello dcemery and LFE junkie:

Just got mine 5040 Ub : I have a cinemascope screen 150 inch wide: How are you guys filling the cinemascope screen : somehow I am unable to use the zoom function : it seems to default to normal :
ashwin

#11 ·
Hello dcemery and LFE junkie:

Just got mine 5040 Ub : I have a cinemascope screen 150 inch wide: How are you guys filling the cinemascope screen : somehow I am unable to use the zoom function : it seems to default to normal :
ashwin
What happens when you try and zoom? I know there was an issue with lens memory that was addressed with a firmware update, but I don't recall it effecting the zoom.

#12 ·
Is it possible that (depending on how close he has it mounted) he simply does not have any zoom left?

#14 ·
I just installed mine yesterday, 16:9 on my 2:35 138" elite screen is 110". Yours should be in the 100" area

#19 ·
Hi guys,

I already have a high quality anamorphic lens (ISCO III) and was thinking of buying a 5040. Right now I own a 5030 and I use a Lumagen Mini 3D to do the anamorphic stretch. The problem is, if I switch to a 5040, I can no longer use the Lumagen, as it is a HDMI 1.4 device and is limited to 1080p, so I have to do one of 3 things:

1. Buy a 6040 instead of a 5040 in order to get the anamorphic support. The difference in price is $1500 MSRP, and though the 6040 comes with some extras, the only extra I am interested in is the anamorphic support.
2. Buy a Lumagen Radiance Pro to do the anamorphic stretch. This is the most expensive option at ~$3800 MSRP for a full featured VP that I really don't need or want.
3. Use the zoom method for CIH - costs nothing.

Obviously, if it costs nothing, the price is right...:)

But my question is, how good is the lens memory these days? I am not so concerned about the size being right on the money, but I do insist that the focus is absolutely perfect. Once I have memories set up, is the repeatability there? That is, if I take the time to meticulously focus each AR memory, when I push a button and use the memory function to zoom to that AR, will the focus be as good as when I set it up? Or will it drift each time, causing me to tweak the focus every time I zoom?

Are there differences in repeatability from one manufacturer to another? For example, is JVC's lens memory better or worse than Epson's? Or are all lens memory functions about the same from one manufacturer to the next? The reason I ask is because I would hate to buy a 5040 (or a JVC RS420) with the intentions of using the zoom method of CIH just to find out that I am disappointed once I try it out and use it.

#24 · (Edited)
Bob Sorel - I realize your post is one year old, but I am faced with the same issue today.

I own a Prismasonic 500R A-lens that I have used very happily with a Panasonic AE 3000 and AE 4000. Now I was thinking of buying an Epson 5040 but ran into your same issue. When I called Epson Tech Support they told me I needed to go up to the 6040 to get anamorphic support. I check both manuals and even though these are allegedly the same machine, the 5040 does not appear to support anamorphic.

How did you resolve your dilemma? The 5040 and 6040 are sold through different channels so that accounts for some of the price difference also.

thank you.

dan

#20 ·
I doing change between 16:9 and 21:9 all the time, no problems with sharpness in memory. Maybe whole picture is little moving ones to the left, ones to the right, half inch maybe.

There is another solution for anamorphic lens i believe.
For example oppo 203 can do stretch picture instead of stretch in projector itself.

#21 ·
Thanks, raf77.

So you don't need to tweak the focus every time you switch aspect ratios??

Oppo 203 only stretches discs that are being played. I need a solution that will stretch any source.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.