Throw distance with anamorphic lens question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rboster
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
paulfromtulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Throw distance with anamorphic lens question

I currently have a Sony vpl-vw600es with throw distance of 19ft. Can I use a vertical compressions anamorphic lens on a 150" 2.35:1 screen? I vaguely remember needing more of a throw distance like 22ft for that large of a screen. Any input would help. Thanks
paulfromtulsa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
I currently have a Sony vpl-vw600es with throw distance of 19ft. Can I use a vertical compressions anamorphic lens on a 150" 2.35:1 screen? I vaguely remember needing more of a throw distance like 22ft for that large of a screen. Any input would help. Thanks

150" diagonal? What is the make and model of the anamorphic lens ? Is the screen curved or flat?


Need that information first .


Where do you live and what is your name paulfromtulsa ? OK , sorry couldn't resist that one.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 675ESB , Panamorph Paladin Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Anthem 1120 AVR , 7.2.4 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203
Lumagen Pro 4440 , Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
roxiedog13 is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
paulfromtulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
150" diagonal? What is the make and model of the anamorphic lens ? Is the screen curved or flat?


Need that information first .


Where do you live and what is your name paulfromtulsa ? OK , sorry couldn't resist that one.
The screen is flat and the lens is a panamorph vertical compression. I did the math and I can do the lens with my throw distance. But with the more research I do it seems like the lens might be more trouble than good. What are your thoughts? Would I really see a difference with 30 percent more output

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
paulfromtulsa is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 21,560
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
The screen is flat and the lens is a panamorph vertical compression. I did the math and I can do the lens with my throw distance. But with the more research I do it seems like the lens might be more trouble than good. What are your thoughts? Would I really see a difference with 30 percent more output

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Paul you would really benefit from having your thread moved to the CIH forum.

FS: HDBaseT HDMI Cable extender Kit (up to 100 ft) for $75 : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653465//
rboster is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
paulfromtulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Paul you would really benefit from having your thread moved to the CIH forum.
What is the cih?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
paulfromtulsa is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 21,560
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
What is the cih?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
It's our forum dedicated to constant image height and all things anamorphic lens, CinemaScope discussion

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2-...e-height-chat/
roxiedog13 likes this.

FS: HDBaseT HDMI Cable extender Kit (up to 100 ft) for $75 : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653465//
rboster is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
paulfromtulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Ok thanks can you move this post over there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
paulfromtulsa is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, Ca
Posts: 3,203
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
I currently have a Sony vpl-vw600es with throw distance of 19ft. Can I use a vertical compressions anamorphic lens on a 150" 2.35:1 screen? I vaguely remember needing more of a throw distance like 22ft for that large of a screen. Any input would help. Thanks
Simple. With a VC lens you start with your 16x9 image width. Your 2.35 image will only be as big/wide as your max 16x9 width. An HE lens will expand the 16x9 thirty three percent horizontally.
coolrda is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 03-28-2017, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,676
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Simple. With a VC lens you start with your 16x9 image width. Your 2.35 image will only be as big/wide as your max 16x9 width. An HE lens will expand the 16x9 thirty three percent horizontally.
To calculate the Throw Ratio for a HE lens, you use the 16:9 image width divided into the Projection Distance.

To calculate the Throw Ratio for a VC lens, you use the Scope screen width divided into the Projection Distance.

To get the same TR requires a longer throw for the VC. Optics pending, you may get away with a shorter TR.

Exactly what lens is it?

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 03-29-2017, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
paulfromtulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
To calculate the Throw Ratio for a HE lens, you use the 16:9 image width divided into the Projection Distance.

To calculate the Throw Ratio for a VC lens, you use the Scope screen width divided into the Projection Distance.

To get the same TR requires a longer throw for the VC. Optics pending, you may get away with a shorter TR.

Exactly what lens is it?
It's an older lens panamorph p752. I found a good deal on one but not sure it's even worth the hassle now. Also not sure if the lens quality from 10 years ago can support 4k? Your thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
paulfromtulsa is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 03-29-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,676
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
It's an older lens panamorph p752. I found a good deal on one but not sure it's even worth the hassle now. Also not sure if the lens quality from 10 years ago can support 4k? Your thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
The P752 was oil filled glass prisms.

Based on the one I saw back in 2006, I don't think this is "4k ready".

Out of curiosity, what was the asking price?

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 03-29-2017, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
paulfromtulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
The P752 was oil filled glass prisms.

Based on the one I saw back in 2006, I don't think this is "4k ready".

Out of curiosity, what was the asking price?
Thank you. Your probably right. $400

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
paulfromtulsa is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 03-29-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,676
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
Thank you. Your probably right. $400

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
If you could find one of their solid glass versions, you'd find you'd be OK.

Regardless if the type of lens used (HE or VC), once set up and left and in the light path, both will essentially do the same as shown in this video


Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off