Native 'Scope Projectors - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #61 of 68 Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Ever since IMAX went 2k digital and changed from the 1.43:1, it has never been "special". It is just an oversized video system that is not that great.

Dude if you want to watch 16:9 from floor to ceiling, then knock yourself out. Please stop telling us that we should be doing the same.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
jeahrens and bombertodd like this.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 06-19-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked: 1833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
This is a classic example of "fluff". It was supposed to make Prime look HUGE and yet 99% of the public didn't see the "IMAX" version at the cinema and unless you had access to a WalMart special, didn't get it on BD either.
Just to be clear I was talking about when I went to an IMAX (a real 70mm one) to watch it. Most of the IMAX scenes passed by entirely, or almost entirely unnoticed by me. So while it may have been intended to make Prime look huge, it really ended up having no impact on me, other than a handful of "Oh, that shot was IMAX, wonder when it started" moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
What if Game of Thrones happens to have a special cinematic release as some sort of a promotional thing and shows it on Imax Screens again.
It's pointless arguing preferences, which is what you're doing. You're using preference to try and prove the whole CIH idea is wrong. Just as little as RLBURNSIDE and you care about maintaining the relative theatrical impact of scope films relative to flat films and TV, is how I feel about using every inch of wall space I have available. CIH is a system that's been in use for almost 70 years, it's presentation is the way film makers expect their content to be shown, whether that is their primary intent or not. And in my CIH setup, I don't find any 16:9 content feels cheated or cramped, and I don't have any desire for my TV to be larger, not even GoT.

That should be good enough for you guys, rather than crashing every thread in the CIH forum, threads that aren't even discussing which way to go.

Quote:
HBO condoned the Imax release and the fans loved it. Seems in that case the only true cinematic presentation at home should be with a CIH+Imax setup and showing it in its proper level of immersion as HBO would like you to see it in. Imax at home.
And those fans are free to enjoy that, free to do CIH+IMAX at home. No one here has ever, ever said anyone shouldn't do that if they want to. If you want to watch GoT bigger than everything else because it's the best show ever made, more power to ya, do it, and be glad that we have the ability to do it.
jeahrens likes this.
post #63 of 68 Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Here is a quote from the threads OP.

He is clearly liking the expanded footage of the Imax clips in the Nolan films. Maybe with 4k and no A-lens we will someday be able to get that at home.

He seemed ok with expanding the topic of discussion in the thread. If he isn’t then my sincere apologies to him.
No apology needed, I think the discussion has been illuminating.

I think Nolan is the exception that proves the rule - he is shooting in 15/70, with a roughly 4:3 aspect ratio! He is clearly composing his images for actual IMAX-style immersion, with a presumption of filling your peripheral vision for maximum visual (and aural) impact. But when he cuts to the non-IMAX scenes, he cuts to 2.35, not 1.85. And his movies when released in non-IMAX cinemas are released in 2.35, not 1.85.

I think a CIH setup does more justice to Nolan than not, in preserving the intent of epic 'scope images. Unless of course you are able to install a true 4:3 IMAX screen at home.
bud16415 likes this.

post #64 of 68 Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Just to be clear I was talking about when I went to an IMAX (a real 70mm one) to watch it. Most of the IMAX scenes passed by entirely, or almost entirely unnoticed by me. So while it may have been intended to make Prime look huge, it really ended up having no impact on me, other than a handful of "Oh, that shot was IMAX, wonder when it started" moments.
I agree. Even on the BD of TDK, you can see a higher level of clarity to the IMAX footage. It is not IMO even close to how true 70mm film looks as it is only 1920 x 1080, but you get the idea. TF2 on the other hand, not so well and that is because Bay intentionally used grain to help mask the edges of the CG. The BD of both the TF and TF2 are quite clean compared to how grainy they were in the cinema and the HD DVD of TF preserves this well. To me, there is just no point apart from marketing to get people away from their TVs and back into cinemas. Oh, that right. CinemaScope was the original idea to get people away from their TVs and back into cinemas, created about 70 years ago.

Quote:
And those fans are free to enjoy that, free to do CIH+IMAX at home. No one here has ever, ever said anyone shouldn't do that if they want to. If you want to watch GoT bigger than everything else because it's the best show ever made, more power to ya, do it, and be glad that we have the ability to do it.
I went so far as to create a blog about how I would do this if it ever became mainstream. At just 12 films to date over almost 10 years, I don't think it will ever become mainstream.

Mark Techer

post #65 of 68 Old 06-20-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

If you read what I wrote instead of reacting to it...
I did read the entirety of your post. And I'm well aware of your preferences and viewing methods. There's nothing new here.

post #66 of 68 Old 06-20-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It's pointless arguing preferences, which is what you're doing. You're using preference to try and prove the whole CIH idea is wrong.
I agree discussing (not arguing) preference is pointless. I understand everyone evokes their own preferences into their own home theater. That is fine I will do what I like and everyone else should do what they like.

What isn’t preference is what I’m so often told and I truly believe and that is we should follow what the director had in mind or should have considered when selecting an aspect ratio. I have been told a thousand times the universal accepted system of presentation is CIH and scope is to be the largest most immersive venue with the exception of Imax. If a director shoots his movie in flat he’s expecting it to be shown the same height as a scope movie in a less horizontal immersive way. That’s what he wants and that is the proper presentation. The very wrong presentation would be to show it as CIW.

If all you watch is theatrical released movies and you wish to follow the accepted best system of presentation supported by all the different standard setting groups and you never watch Imax movies or movies that expand into Imax or if you do watch them are ok with watching the version that was shown in scope theaters then CIH is for you.

My main point has always been that all the above is true. BUT many people use home theaters for other things than theatrical released movies. Some people play video games, some ride virtual rollercoasters, some do flight simulators, some do photo slide shows, many watch sports, many more watch network tv, many watch special made for tv content, etc. I agree with Josh that most network tv should not be larger than scope in fact I agree tv sitcoms and game shows and the news is directed for a much smaller less immersive presentation than even CIH flat would provide. If you look at my thread I say I watch it not in super immersion as everyone keeps saying but I watch it about half of what flat would provide. So in fact I am maybe closer following what the tv sitcom director wished. Then there is Game of Thrones as an example. It is not a movie, It has a director, he agreed to do a theatrical release for the fans of the show, and he did it in the venue he best though showcased his work, that happened to be Imax theaters. No one is telling anyone what size to watch that show and even if they should watch it. But if you want to apply the same logic I have been told a thousand times it would be to watch tv sitcoms zoomed way in and GoT zoomed out to Imax if you have a screen that can handle it.
I have always advised people CIH is proper presentation and that should be the method of choice. I have advised them if you are doing the zoom method and have the headroom and don’t mind 4 way masking why not consider an Imax screen. If you never use the top and bottom it will still always be the exact same scope screen you would have bought anyway. And some day you might need to view something super immersive and the screen will be ready to go.

Bud
post #67 of 68 Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
Dude if you want to watch 16:9 from floor to ceiling, then knock yourself out.

I think you have me confused with The Big Lebowski, by the way a movie perfectly framed in a 1.85:1 .

In the immortal words of Mic ‘Crocodile’ Dundee 2.35:1 G’day mate.

Bud
post #68 of 68 Old 06-21-2017, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you have me confused with The Big Lebowski, by the way a movie perfectly framed in a 1.85:1 .

In the immortal words of Mic ‘Crocodile’ Dundee 2.35:1 G’day mate.
Was never a fan of THE BIG LEBOWSKI and I hope CROCODILE DUNDEE comes out on BD soon. The DVD was not the best transfer (though it have film scratches and end of reel markers, making it a nostalgic screening). I bet when they do the BD, it will be plagued with so much edge enhancement and noise, it will be unwatchable.

Mark Techer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page