Why not a native 2.35 projector? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 127 Old 08-27-2009, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
On a tangent, Optoma will be bringing out the HD86 in Europe soon which will have a built in anamorphic lens as an option- not sure what it will be called in the US.

While Optoma is not considered a high end product, I think they have to be commended for being the first to do this as far as I am aware. BTW I am still on my first HD PJ, the Optoma HD80 actually which is a very decent PJ IMO, although I do want to upgrade to the Planar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
For all we know "built-in" could mean on an external slide...

A one lens solution would be great since you eliminate the degradation of two lenses... while not as ideal as 2.35 panels, it would be a decent improvement. Although I am unaware of how one piece of glass can be made to work for 1.78 and 2.35....
post #123 of 127 Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If 2.35 capable panels/projectors came out with no need for anamorphic lens (and the asssociated extra equipment/cost/technical hassles/sliding mounts, etc...), who would not want such a projector? ... capable of native 1.78 and 2.35 by simply using extra horizontal pixes available for a 2.35 mode... Such an obvious solution... People who would not have bought 2.35 screens, would then buy them....
post #124 of 127 Old 08-27-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

If 2.35 capable panels/projectors came out with no need for anamorphic lens (and the asssociated extra equipment/cost/technical hassles/sliding mounts, etc...), who would not want such a projector? ... capable of native 1.78 and 2.35 by simply using extra horizontal pixes available for a 2.35 mode... Such an obvious solution... People who would not have bought 2.35 screens, would then buy them....

I would buy one, unless someone here could convince me that native 2.35:1 panels are a bad idea. I would rather not have to use an A-lens if I didn't have to.
post #125 of 127 Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

You could make the same argument for the Philips 21:9 TV. Obviously (all else equal) most already interested in CIH would opt for a simpler, "native" solution.

It would also probably attract some who thought CIH was "too hard" before.

But there will still be projection buyers who won't be interested, those who's rooms are "too narrow" for CIH for example. People who are upgrading and have lots invested in a 16:9 screen (thinking proscenium/room) for which there would be a significant cost to change screens.

But that's all really beside the issue. Frankly the Home Theater projector market is tiny in the eyes of Epson, Sony, JVC, and TI. And that there is the problem.

How many more HT projectors would be sold (that wouldn't be otherwise) if they used scope chips? I'm guessing about none. For now incremental improvements in quality drive sales sufficiently. It would be a huge investment to sell projectors to people who were probably going to buy one anyway.

Today, unless there's a real chance of significantly growing the 600,000 unit HT projector market because of native scope chip. There are cheaper ways to incorporate CIH functionality, like the AE3000's zoom memory.

Now, in 3-4 years, if contrast ratios are commonly and really up in the 100k's, to where an increase won't drive sales, and LED light sources are common, to where gamuts are perfectly configurable and projectors last 'forever', I could see things changing.

In a few years, if we get to a point where most of us are happy enough with performance/quality to where new models aren't compelling from a quality standpoint, I think Epson, Sony, JVC, and TI could be looking at a very different situation, where new sales are slumping because quality has plateaued, and they'll be looking for new, significant features to add.

In such an environment, native scope chips/projectors could be the distinguishing characteristic to drive sales again.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #126 of 127 Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I would buy one, unless someone here could convince me that native 2.35:1 panels are a bad idea. I would rather not have to use an A-lens if I didn't have to.

I don't think anyone is suggesting 2.35:1 panels would be a bad idea, simply that they are unlikely to be developed given the limited size of the consumer market segment. I think it far more likely that if this were to happen, higher density (4K?) panels would be used, and the native image 'cropped' to 1080x2554.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #127 of 127 Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

... native scope chips/projectors could be the distinguishing characteristic to drive sales again.

I hope so... because I'm not interested in 3D, at least the kind that requires glasses and feeding each eye differential information... OTOH, holographic projection would interest me quite a bit...
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page