Just got my UH-50 yesterday!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 147 Old 01-24-2006, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It came yesterday and it is just as he (Shawn) described it. 4"x4" w/two elements, one is held in place by housing one is epoxied in. Very clean and simple. I'm going to be setting up a temp rig tonight and throwing some pictures with it. Hopefully, I can post some screenshots tomorrow. I'll staple up a piece of canvas I have on the frame where the screen will eventually go and see how she looks. I can go up to 120" across there (should be about 125" diagonal at 2.35:1. Only problem I forsee that may cloud my results is that I cant incorporate my scaler into that temp rig yet. I'll have to see if my projector can do the scaling temporarily.

I'm so excited that I cant focus on work today! Come on 9 o'clock!!!!

Kevin

In an average home theater room there are 1,257 objects Chuck Norris could use to kill you, including the room itself. There are no weapons of mass destruction. Just Chuck Norris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Documentarymaker,

I look forward to seeing the results and can you post a picture of the lens itself? You should right to go with your player in 16:9 and your projector set to a 4 x 3 zoom mode. You may have to use component...

Here is a picture of what you need to see just using the player and projector.

The lens will then stretch the image...

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 147 Old 01-24-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mark,

Thanks for the tip! I will absolutely post pics of just the lens itself. Off topic a bit...

Did you ever persue the home-made lens we had discussed with 4 prisms?

Kevin

In an average home theater room there are 1,257 objects Chuck Norris could use to kill you, including the room itself. There are no weapons of mass destruction. Just Chuck Norris.
post #4 of 147 Old 01-24-2006, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I did. All of the latest image shots I have uploaded to the screen shot section are through the 4 prism lens. It seems to exhibit less CA than the standard 2 prisms lens particulary at the edges...

BTW The screen shots in the official 2.35:1 picture thread are from the older 2 prism lens...
My Screen Shots

Mark

Mark Techer

post #5 of 147 Old 01-25-2006, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

UH-50

2nd angle

another angle

and...

Some quick photos.

Screen shots to follow

Kevin -

post #6 of 147 Old 01-25-2006, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

the Transporter @123" diagonal 2.35:1

one more

This image is 112.5 wide and 50" tall with the lens in place. Same image without the lens literally filled the canvas which is 72x120".

If I can figure out how to fix some distortion issues I'll be set...

Kevin -

post #7 of 147 Old 01-25-2006, 07:00 PM

Liked: 15
Looks pretty good.

How's the pincushion/barrel distortion? It looks like I can see a little barrel distortion in the shot, but I can also see that you don't have a permanent setup yet.

This looks promising!

Edit: OK....I read the post above mine. With my U-100 Panamorph, it took a lot of fine tweaking to get it as good as I could get. If that's your quick setup, the u-50 looks like a winner.
post #8 of 147 Old 01-25-2006, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

My very crude set-up led me to the same conclusion. At the screen size I'll be using and at the seating distances I've chosen it should look like a million bucks. I 'm also not noticing the CA Shawn warned about. That may change once it gets permanently mounted with a proper screen. The distortion im getting is in the form of a tapering of the bottom right side. It is about 2.5 inches shorter than the left side with the top level. I tried twisting it several ways in the image path and couldnt get it to go away.<shrugs> For now i'll put that problem on the back burner and focus on creating some kind of mounting system. Uther and I are discussing that problem on another thread.

Kevin -

post #9 of 147 Old 01-25-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by documentarymaker
the Transporter @123" diagonal 2.35:1

one more

This image is 112.5 wide and 50" tall with the lens in place. Same image without the lens literally filled the canvas which is 72x120".

If I can figure out how to fix some distortion issues I'll be set...

Kevin -
I'm confused...Image was 72x120 before placing lens and 50x112 with lens in place? I thought this was a horizontal expansion lens??? Now you've got me worried!

TC
post #10 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Jeff,
The distortion im getting is in the form of a tapering of the bottom right side. It is about 2.5 inches shorter than the left side with the top level. I tried twisting it several ways in the image path and couldnt get it to go away
Kevin -
That's an easy one. Your projector probably isn't 100% squared up. I understand that you're in a temp situation now. When you do your final setup, it is very important that you are perpendicular. You will save yourself a lot of headache with the Panamorph setup. Trust me, I learned the hard way!

EDIT: ^^^ vvv Holy Cow! How did I miss the dimensions? This is getting interesting... :eek:
post #11 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcreech
I'm confused...Image was 72x120 before placing lens and 50x112 with lens in place? I thought this was a horizontal expansion lens??? Now you've got me worried!

TC
I'm with you tcreech on that. I didn't read the specs, just looked at the prisms angles and it does not look like a HE at all, but rather a VC. The vertical plain of both the front and rear prims of both Prismasonic (and my DIY) are vertical. The angels are in the horizontal plain, but do appear to be the same if you turned it on its side...

Check HERE to see what I am talking about...
And HERE are diagrams showing the case layouts, where the VC looks way closer to the UH-50...

Mark :confused:

Mark Techer

post #12 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. If the lens is not HE as advertised, it is going back. Maybe Shawn can weigh in here.
post #13 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 07:05 AM

could it be that documentarymaker's original image was 72x120 (approx 16x9), then he ZOOMED OUT before setting lens. Even if it was a VC lens, it shouldn't decrease width (128 -> 120).
Or maybe his lens is set on it's side? :)
Care to elaborate, documentarymaker? We're kinda on pins & needles here.
Geez, i've already built my screen!

TC
post #14 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcreech
Or maybe his lens is set on it's side?
If the HE was laid on its side, it becomes VE not a VC. To make it compress, the lens would have to turned around as well. But the part towards the screen would than be smaller and as a result, the image would most likely clip from having to pass through a smaller aperture...

The angles get me though - why are they tilted in the vertical plain?...

SEE HERE as to what I am talking about. Notice the angle of the prism is tilted towards the front...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #15 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Wow,

I've got everybody all anxious...
I'll weigh in... I was also confused by the way the lens was performing. Let me say first that it could be as simple as my setup causing all the problems. I had my projector doing the scaling and the dvd set to 16x9. Without the lens in fron the image filled almost the whole screen. With the lens in place it squished everything to the proper height. To me that sounds like a VC lens. It didnt get wider, it got skinnier. Shawn said via email that there was only one way to use the lens and that any other way besides the right way wouldnt look the way it was supposed to. Now, im confused....

Kevin -

post #16 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like VC to me. Have you tried turning it around and the laying it on its side?
Might clip the beam, but then again...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #17 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a reply via email from Shawn at Panamorph:

"Hi Kevin,

I saw your setup image on the forum and you've really got these guys scratching their heads!

Note that the epoxied prism should be toward the projector lens. The way you've got it set up right now will do a vertical compression, and the UH50 is not designed for that (lots of astigmatism). If you turn it around so that epoxied prism is near the projector lens and then the angled cuttout is toward the screen then you'll be better off. Rotate it so that you get the horizontal expansion.

Fun with optics!

Shawn "

Looks like it was me and my setup... These things dont come with instructions. I'll setup the temp rig again friday night and get some new shots now that I know how its supposed to go... DOH!

Kevin

post #18 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news!

Shawn, just a thought but you might consider including a pamphlet with the lens showing proper setup and white dot on the lens case that represents the top edge that is supposed to be next to the lens.
post #19 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 AM

Too late for me, I already had a heart attack and died.
The good news is, everything up here is HD and the screen is a mile wide.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

TC
post #20 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

This time guys I'll post before and after shots of the screen, with and without lens...

Kevin -

post #21 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 AM

Shawn,
Could you post back w/ thread size for pre-drilled/tapped holes in lens?

Thanks,

TC
post #22 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I don't get on the forum much but I do generally respond to PMs and even faster to emails (shawn@panamorph.com).

The holes in the sides are 1/4"-20 threads. Yes, we do need to come up with some basic illustration. We've just been telling people to put the epoxied prism toward the projector but certainly a picture will help a lot.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
post #23 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Shawn, I asked this in the other thread but you probably missed it.

I've currently got a P752, but a horizontal stretch would work better in my setup. The P752 will work with my PJ (Tosh MT700) even at maximum zoom, though I run it at almost minimum. Do you have any insights on if the UH-50 would work as well? It seems to be a bit smaller than the 752, but as I said, the 752 will work even at max zoom for my PJ.

Thanks

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #24 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 06:08 PM

Got mine in and up tonight...used the drawer slider idea which works like a charm to easily move the lens in and out of the stream. I actually used an old under desk keyboard tray slider I had laying around, and the little drop down stand offs worked perfect for the side mounts. Will try get a pic up by tomorrow PM if I can. Looks like the more axis's of adjustment you have the better off you will be. Off for more tweekage..........
post #25 of 147 Old 01-26-2006, 06:35 PM

Just read what I posted....good thing you guys know we're taking about an anamorphic lens...other wise, that reads like a REALLY filthy letter to Penthouse....
post #26 of 147 Old 01-27-2006, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here's a reply via email from Shawn at Panamorph:

"Hi Kevin,

I saw your setup image on the forum and you've really got these guys scratching their heads!

Note that the epoxied prism should be toward the projector lens. The way you've got it set up right now will do a vertical compression, and the UH50 is not designed for that (lots of astigmatism). If you turn it around so that epoxied prism is near the projector lens and then the angled cuttout is toward the screen then you'll be better off. Rotate it so that you get the horizontal expansion.

Fun with optics!

Shawn "

Looks like it was me and my setup... These things dont come with instructions. I'll setup the temp rig again friday night and get some new shots now that I know how its supposed to go... DOH!

Kevin

Given that in your case the lens works both as a VC and a HE, I am curious to see the image results (hope you can get back to the same scene) and project the image this time as a HE... That must mean also that you will (might) have to move the projector right in...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #27 of 147 Old 01-27-2006, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mark,

I should be able to keep it in the same place. I was using some of the zoom capability of the lens. If I back that out it should be fine. I will also use the same screen grab for continuity sake.. :O)
I'm anxious to see Brian's setup and possible some before /after lens screen shots...

Brian??

Kevin -

post #28 of 147 Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 AM

Greetings all. My first post here at this forum. I've often dropped in from time to time just to see and learn whats going on in the world of HT.

As a proud owner of an Infocus 4805 I'm happy to announce I just purchased the UH-50 as well. It arrived yesterday in good order and I can tell you my immediate reaction to it so far had been quite good. However all I have done at this point is taken it out of the box and merely hand held it up to my ceiling mounted 4805 for a few minutes. I picked a bright scene from one of my 2:35.1 dvd's and stretched the image via letterbox mode and butted the UH-50 against the lens. The image remained focused well enough and I couldn't see any of the dreaded chroma abberation that we were all warned about. If it's there maybe my eyes just aren't trained enough to notice it yet. Ignorance is bliss I always say. At the moment i dont even know what 'pincushion' and other anomilies there might be.

All I know is now I need to figure out a way to mount this thing!
post #29 of 147 Old 01-28-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All I know is now I need to figure out a way to mount this thing!
Very cool :) Keep us posted...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #30 of 147 Old 01-28-2006, 05:32 PM

Sorry, just got back into town. Here are some rough photos. Should be self explanatory but feel free to fire away with the questions....

I will be cutting down the length of the slider and cleaning up the mount plate a bit. Its just a piece of aluminium plate but lexan or plexi or mdf would work fine too. I have some 1/2 spacers between the PJ and plate to make room for the slider and center up the lens a bit.
Closed Thread 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page