Panamorph P752 and 1080p? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-11-2006, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I'm still using the Panamorph P752 lens with my 720p projector. Eventually I hope to upgrade to a 1080p model. Does anyone know how well the P752 optics will pass a 1080p image? Is this a concern?

Unfortunately, due to my room constraints I'm forced to stay with a Vertical Compression lens. A Horizontal Expansion lens would cause a movie image to spill off the sides of my screen.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Josh-
I can't answer your question, but how well does your P752 and 720p perform?

Don
post #3 of 9 Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarillo_cinema View Post

Josh-
I can't answer your question, but how well does your P752 and 720p perform?

No complaints at 720p.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-12-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I'm still using the Panamorph P752 lens with my 720p projector. Eventually I hope to upgrade to a 1080p model. Does anyone know how well the P752 optics will pass a 1080p image? Is this a concern?

Unfortunately, due to my room constraints I'm forced to stay with a Vertical Compression lens. A Horizontal Expansion lens would cause a movie image to spill off the sides of my screen.

This is my situation also

Perhaps Alan Gouger or Shawn (from Panamorph) might respond

I figure Alan has probably tried every combo out there and I heard he has and loves the 752 for short throw applications

Dan
post #5 of 9 Old 01-01-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I suppose I'm in the same situation. I've got a P752, and I'm looking to upgrade to 1080p, probably in the next 12 months or so. The RS1 really has my eye at the moment.

But this has been one of my questions, if the 752 would be a limiting factor such that it wouldn't be worth going to 1080p without a better lens.

I know for the most part I don't have complaints, but it does exhibit some (annoying to me) CA on the bottom of the image (ceiling mount).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #6 of 9 Old 01-02-2007, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Also interested in this. I'd consider just sticking with this lens and upgrading to another 720p/great scaling solution to get 720 out of the ~817 vertical source lines of a 1080p source.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #7 of 9 Old 01-02-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Also interested in this. I'd consider just sticking with this lens and upgrading to another 720p/great scaling solution to get 720 out of the ~817 vertical source lines of a 1080p source.

Well I've already got a nice 720p PJ, an IN76, and if/when I upgrade one of my requirements is going to be significantly better black level, but same brightness. My IN76 has (from what I can tell) pretty good ANSI contrast (>550:1), good brightness (~600 lumens), but is a little lacking in On/Off contrast (1500:1)

To improve on that in a 720p, basically I'm looking at the 8720, or something in that class. Problem is, some of the newest 1080p PJs, look like they'll be able to easilly best that, at a similar price point. Specifically the RS1, which according to Ekkard (cine4home) actually hit >15000:1 On/Off and ~700 lumens at D65.

Even if it only hits 350 ANSI (what some JVC reps have claimed, but some AVS members expect it to be higher) it should still significantly outperform my IN76, and be 1080p, and all for a lower MSRP than the 8720.

Plus the fact that when I bought my IN76 (Sept), I made the choice to go with that vs the 8720 specifically because I knew the new crop of 1080p stuff would be competitive with the 8720 in most ways.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #8 of 9 Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ahh, interesting. I'd also only look to another 720p is I could significantly improve blacks/ANSI (AE900's iris gives ok on/off, but it really only benefits measurements of such). I've not followed that closely in the last year, so your post gives food for thought. Perhaps, though, the bottom will drop out on 720p DLP after CES. Then I jump.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #9 of 9 Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Ahh, interesting. I'd also only look to another 720p is I could significantly improve blacks/ANSI (AE900's iris gives ok on/off, but it really only benefits measurements of such).

Well they're both valuable measurements, but neither tell the whole story (eg ANSI uses 50% APL, while most video is closer to 20% APL) I think it's in the "New method for contrast measurement" thread that there's an interesting theory/observation/rule-of-thumb was posted. I think it's based off the theoretical model of the PJ/Room. That being that the "factor of 9". That On/Off contrast being 9x ANSI is sort of a threshold, where if the ratio is < 9, On/Off contrast is the limiting factor, and if the ratio is > 9, ANSI is.

That seems to illustrate, or explain the problems with current DI systems, sure they can hit 5000:1 contrast, but with the limited ANSI (~200-300:1) it doesn't do them any good.

Conversely, with my PJ and it's ~560:1 ANSI and ~1600:1 On/Off(as measured by Jason Turk), the On/Off is holding it back.

But anyway, that's way OT. I suppose one answer to my question is that since resolution isn't one of my complaints with my current PJ (black level/contrast is) a new 1080p, high-contrast PJ would help in that area. Then later as HD proliferates, I can move up to a better lens.

Quote:

I've not followed that closely in the last year, so your post gives food for thought. Perhaps, though, the bottom will drop out on 720p DLP after CES. Then I jump.

Maybe you should look, I think the bottom already fell out of the 720p DLP market. The gap has really closed in the last six months.

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page