post #91 of 232 Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_ View Post

S.Cane:

I hope you really get better. People are right. Take it very easy, stay in bed and please don't overexert yourself. I know it is hard but don't be testing any equipment ok

I think it shows your love of home theater if you have pnemonia and still find the time and strength to log in, read these posts, think about them, and send your own posts. Feel better soon.

Take care.

Carlos

Thank you Carlos, I appreciate the kind words.

Which of these projectors are you interested in?

Sutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 232 Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Liked: 12
S.Cane:

I am interested in the Panasonic AX100u. I have never owned a projector before. Ever since I went to a friend's house and saw his setup, I have been in love with projectors. He did not even have a new state of the art projector. He had a 3 1/2 year old Sanyo projector. It was not one of the Z series projectors. I know it had 2000 ansi lumens. He was projecting to a white wall. The picture was about 100 inches diagonal, around 88 inches wide.

I brought several Dvds with me to test. One of the them was the digitally restored version of "The Shining". For an old movie, the quality of this DVD is tremendous. I am used to seeing this movie on my 20 inch Sony Wega TV. But when my friend fired up his projector and the pictures started playing, it was INCREDIBLE. It is amazing how much of a movie you are missing when you look at it on a small display.

I hope you are familiar with the movie. It starts with a helicopter shot following Jack Nicholson's character as he drives through this BEAUTIFUL, Majestic, mountainous landscape. My mouth HIT THE FLOOR when I saw that on the projector. Right there and then I made a decision that I must buy a projector.

I am hoping to project on a white wall. 120 inches wide. 135 inches diagonal. Maybe sitting from 9 to 12 feet from the screen.

I have considered the Sanyo Z5. But at 1100 lumens, I have been told that it may not be bright enought to light up the wall nicely where the picture just pops off that wall.

Carlos
post #93 of 232 Old 01-23-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

S. Cane:

I've been thinking Carada BW all the way as well. As I've been watching a Sony Grand Wega RPLCD the past 3 years and have just bought the TW700, I don't think a gray screen with low gain will help me transition very easily as the Sony is very bright.

I was just concerned about the black levels on a BW, and if they would look more gray than tolerated for you.

Hope you get better real soon.
post #94 of 232 Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFigueiredo View Post

S. Cane:

I've been thinking Carada BW all the way as well. As I've been watching a Sony Grand Wega RPLCD the past 3 years and have just bought the TW700, I don't think a gray screen with low gain will help me transition very easily as the Sony is very bright.

I was just concerned about the black levels on a BW, and if they would look more gray than tolerated for you.

Hope you get better real soon.

Joe,

Some people have reported that they liked the CCW a little better then the BW in terms of black levels, but on the same token, I've never really heard anybody being disappointed in the black levels that the BW produces.

Although it is true that the CCW may in fact be a little better on the blacks, I personally feel it doesn't out weigh the benefits of the BW. Everybody that I know who has purchased the BW has just simply been blown away by the screen. Due to it's higher gain, it really provides you with that extra pop which really helps to bring out that wow factor in the picture.

Have you given thought to contacting David Giles at Carada and requesting samples? Granted the samples are not that much bigger then a piece of 8X10 sheet of paper, but they're big enough to give you an idea on what each screen does and has to offer.

Once I'm stronger and back on my feet, I'm going to be ordering the Carada BW, along with the Vutec SilverStar. So in addition to testing/reviewing these projectors, I'm also going to do the same with these two screens. I might even consider throwing Stewarts Firehawk G3 along with their StudioTek 130 into the mix as well.

My purpose for going all out and spending so much of my time and money in reviewing these projectors and screens are really two fold.

1. I demand the best for what I'm willing/wanting to spend.

2. Since I have the means and resources to do so, it's my desire to help everybody here the best that I can. Because we all share that common thread. We all want the best in which we can afford to spend, and or are willing to spend. So, I'm doing all of this for all of you here, as much as I'm doing it for myself.

The way I look at things, I'm only as good to myself as I am with others. That's just the way that I am. I take alot of pride in all that I do, and I do so because I care.

Sutter
post #95 of 232 Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Look forward to your results with the screen testing. I'm a month or so away from purchasing the screen, as my HT is being built in the basement right now.

I have received samples from Carada, but haven't tested with them yet.
post #96 of 232 Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

A couple of dumb questions for you guys in the know.
What is CIH or CH setup and why is it important to you guys?
Vertical Stretch, why is this needed?
And what are these anamorphic lens used for?
Told you they were dumb questions
Finally hope you're feeling better Cane

dc

DC,

A CIH setup allows you to project the correct aspect ratio for all movies at the same height, allowing you to recreate the true cinematic feel.

You know when you watch a movie that's done in 2.35, what do you see? You see black bars above and below the picture, right? Well this is where vertical stretch and an anamorphic lens comes into play.

Having vertical stretch allows you to, well, stretch the picture to fill the screen, eliminating the black bars. Unfortunately vertical stretch isn't enough though.

Do you see or know what the problem is at this point? If you employ vertical stretch, it will expand the picture, eliminating the black bars and fill your screen, but everyone and everything will look tall, skinny, and for lack of a better word, stretched. This is where the anamorphic lens comes into play, for it expands everything back out, in a matter of speaking, allowing the picture to look as it should, or once again, for lack of a better word, normal.

Not my best explaination, nor the most technical, but I hope this helps in answering your questions. If not, let me and the rest of us know and we'll be glad to help you further understand.

Sutter
post #97 of 232 Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post

DC,

A CIH setup allows you to project the correct aspect ratio for all movies at the same height, allowing you to recreate the true cinematic feel.

You know when you watch a movie that's done in 2.35, what do you see? You see black bars above and below the picture, right? Well this is where vertical stretch and an anamorphic lens comes into play.

Having vertical stretch allows you to, well, stretch the picture to fill the screen, eliminating the black bars. Unfortunately vertical stretch isn't enough though.

Do you see or know what the problem is at this point? If you employ vertical stretch, it will expand the picture, eliminating the black bars and fill your screen, but everyone and everything will look tall, skinny, and for lack of a better word, stretched. This is where the anamorphic lens comes into play, for it expands everything back out, in a matter of speaking, allowing the picture to look as it should, or once again, for lack of a better word, normal.

Not my best explaination, nor the most technical, but I hope this helps in answering your questions. If not, let me and the rest of us know and we'll be glad to help you further understand.

Thanks for the explaination, I think I've got it now...
But a couple more questions if you will,
On most projectors what is the procedure to set it into "stretch mode"? I'm guessing the aspect ratio button?
Does this require a special aspect screen? I'm guessing not since the CIH process should work with whatever screen?
The Anamorphic lens would only be used with 2.35 aspect movies correct?
You would remove the lens other wise, correct? Is this an easy process?

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #98 of 232 Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the explaination, I think I've got it now...
But a couple more questions if you will,
On most projectors what is the procedure to set it into "stretch mode"? I'm guessing the aspect ratio button?
Does this require a special aspect screen? I'm guessing not since the CIH process should work with whatever screen?

dc

Well, typically speaking, most who go with a CIH setup, also goes with a 2.35 screen for a varity of reasons. It isn't necessarily mandatory, but it is prefered.

And yes, you'd use the lens for 2.35 movies and remove the lens for 16.9 content, unless you have a bypass lens, such as any of the Prismasonic lens.

In most cases, stretch mode is usually found through the aspect ratio button.

Sutter
post #99 of 232 Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First, not all projectors have. Most new Panasonics and several Optoma's have this feature and each name it differently. Panasonics calls the V-Fit, H-Fit, etc. Optoma, I think calls them LBX (Letterbox) feature. You need to check into projector manuals. On projectors that don't have this feature, you need to get a video scaler that could run over 1-2K. Or, you get a DVD player like Samsung 950 that has the feature. One reason most budget CIH setup fans do is to get a projector can do the vertical stretch.

Quote:

It needs a special screen that has 2.35:1 ratio dimensions. The dimensions should be:
Width of Screen = 2.35*Height of Screen

Quote:

Yes!

Quote:

This depends on the len you get. Some lens like Prismasonics have Pass through mode that allows you to leave it infront of projector and set it to Pass through mode.

One other cheaper option refered to has Poor man's CIH is the have the wall around screen covered in black color (Balck cloth), and zoom the regular projector until the black bars zoom out of the CIH screen. If you do this, it's safer to buy projector that has zoom over 1.33, I believe.
post #100 of 232 Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits View Post

First, not all projectors have. Most new Panasonics and several Optoma's have this feature and each name it differently. Panasonics calls the V-Fit, H-Fit, etc. Optoma, I think calls them LBX (Letterbox) feature. You need to check into projector manuals. On projectors that don't have this feature, you need to get a video scaler that could run over 1-2K. Or, you get a DVD player like Samsung 950 that has the feature. One reason most budget CIH setup fans do is to get a projector can do the vertical stretch.

It needs a special screen that has 2.35:1 ratio dimensions. The dimensions should be:
Width of Screen = 2.35*Height of Screen

Yes!

This depends on the len you get. Some lens like Prismasonics have Pass through mode that allows you to leave it infront of projector and set it to Pass through mode.

One other cheaper option refered to has Poor man's CIH is the have the wall around screen covered in black color (Balck cloth), and zoom the regular projector until the black bars zoom out of the CIH screen. If you do this, it's safer to buy projector that has zoom over 1.33, I believe.

Although all of this is true for the most part, a 2.35 screen isn't totally necessary, but is prefered. Panamorph website use to have information on how you can do CIH with a 16.9 screen. So it can be done and 2.35 screen is not necessarily a requirment, but is indeed the way you'd want to go if you're going to go with CIH setup.

I just wanted to clear that up, because it isn't vital that you have a 2.35 screen, it's just having a 2.35 screen simply is the best way to go about it if you're going to step up to this type of setup.

Sutter
post #101 of 232 Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 PM

I'm looking at a 123" screen with the first row at 13.5 feet. Its a 1.3 width/seat ratio. My back row is around 20'. My room is totally light controlled. Based on this would you recommend a 1080 over the 720? This is my first projector, and I don't want to see any SDE, or pixels.

Specifically, I'm thinking about the AE1000U, and a Stewart Ultramatte 200.

Cane, this is by far the most informative thread I've read on 720 vs 1080. Thanks for taking the time.

If at first you don't succeed, maybe you should quit.
post #102 of 232 Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorCar1 View Post

I'm looking at a 123" screen with the first row at 13.5 feet. Its a 1.3 width/seat ratio. My back row is around 20'. My room is totally light controlled. Based on this would you recommend a 1080 over the 720? This is my first projector, and I don't want to see any SDE, or pixels.

Specifically, I'm thinking about the AE1000U, and a Stewart Ultramatte 200.

Cane, this is by far the most informative thread I've read on 720 vs 1080. Thanks for taking the time.

Hey how about that, someone from my home town. Granted I only lived there for two years before my family packed up and moved, but I was born in Oklahoma City all the same.

Anyways, where do you find yourself sitting the most, the first or second row? I ask because you'll notice the benefit of a 1080p unit when sitting closer then 1.5 X the width of the screen. Anything beyond that, you're not going to be able to tell much of a difference, if any at all.

Whenever I'm asked about which way a person should steer, 1080p or 720p, it really comes down to a game of twenty questions. Meaning you need ask yourself a series of questions to really determine if you really want to make that jump up to 1080p now at this point in time.

For starters......

1. What am I after? What it is you're wanting to do.

2. Which projector will give me all or most of what I'm looking for, for the least amount of money? As I've mentioned before, most of us are not rolling in the dough, with cash flowing out of our rear ends. It's not like we have money trees growing out in the backyard that we can just pull as much cash off of whenever we want/need to. Despite what anybody says, cost is always an issue to "some" extent.

3. Will and or could, my decision effect other things that I'm going to want and need to pull off the setup that I want to do? Example: If I purchase the most expensive projector, would it or could it effect getting that new screen I want, or that new lens I've been eyeballing ect...ect...?

4. Do I really want to jump up to a 1080p projector now, knowing that they will only get better and cheaper as time goes on?

And......

5. Am I really going to benefit from a 1080p projector? The fact of the matter is, many people, despite what they "want" to think, will not. It all boils down to various factors, such as how far from the screen they're going to sit, how big of screen they're projecting on, is the room light controled or not, ect... ect...

These are all things that I feel everybody should ask themselves and take under serious consideration. Unfortunately, alot of people fail to do so.

Once you've answered these questions for yourself, you'll be better prepared to make a logical and sound decision based upon what is best for YOU, your SETUP, and of course, your WALLET.

The reason that I recommend these steps, is because in this hobby it's simply far to easy to get sucked into what I call the bandwagon game. There's constantly new products that are always coming out. With these new products comes a lot of hype, some justifed, some not. We all hear this hype and by nature we get excited. These feelings of excitement often causes us to make irrational decisions, without throughly thinking things through. So ask yourself these questions, and buy what's right for you, your needs, your system/setup, and ultimately your budget. By doing so, I think you'll find greater peace of mind and a system that you'll not only love, but one in which you can enjoy for years to come.

Sutter
post #103 of 232 Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

I decided to give AX100 from Costco a try. I hope I don't have to use Costco's return policy as this projector seems to have everything that is needed for my Home Theater setup.

Thanks Cane for this perfect thread for anyone wanting to do budget CIH. Now, i will wait for the new Anamorphic lens from Prismasonic that might be on Powerbuy here next month.
post #104 of 232 Old 01-25-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I decided to give AX100 from Costco a try. I hope I don't have to use Costco's return policy as this projector seems to have everything that is needed for my Home Theater setup.

Thanks Cane for this perfect thread for anyone wanting to do budget CIH. Now, i will wait for the new Anamorphic lens from Prismasonic that might be on Powerbuy here next month.

Hi Kits, and congrats on your purchase of the AX100!

If you don't mind, and if I may, let me offer you a little advice that might help you feel a little more comfortable with your purchase.

First, do you have a trained eye? Because if you don't, you are in my opinion blessed. Have you ever heard the saying what you don't know can't hurt you. Well, there's a lot of truth in that, in a round about sort of way. If you don't have a trained eye, then I wouldn't go out of the way looking for something that you normally would never notice.

Sure, we all want our projectors to work flawlessly, but I've yet to come across any projector that was 100% flawless free. They all have their down falls/short comings in one way, shape, or form.

When you receive your projector, install it, hook it up, calibrate it to your liking and do nothing more. At that point start watching your favorite movies and programs. If you love the pic, then you're golden. If not, if you see/notice a visual problem, one in which you can't correct or solve yourself, well then you're still ok, because you bought from a place that has one of the best exchange/return policies around.

More then likely, you'll be fine. For I truly believe that these problems lie within the minority and not the majority. Either way, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you throughly enjoy your new projector. I know the AX100 has sure impressed the heck out of me, and despite it's reported problems, I'd still recommend this projector to people with a word of caution, and that caution being, just make sure you purchase from some place that has a good exchange/return policy, just to cover your bases just in case.

Keep us posted and if I can be of any further help and or assistance, just let me know.

Sutter
post #105 of 232 Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 PM

I think I'll probably go with the 1080 because I'll mostly be sitting in the front row. (That's where the most comfortable seats are) And I've got an friend with a dealership, so I can get it at cost. Thanks again for the info Cane.

If at first you don't succeed, maybe you should quit.
post #106 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 AM

For those who may be interested, Costco now has the PT-AE1000U.

You now have the choice between the AX100U and the AE1000U, plus all the groovy benefits that comes along with buying from Costco's.

Sutter
post #107 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

What happens if Costco sell RS1/HD1 from day ONE of it's release?
post #108 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:

What happens if Costco sell RS1/HD1 from day ONE of it's release?

Then I'll be adding that one into the mix as well.

However, I've more and less put a $4999 price limit on any projector that I plan on upgrading to myself. Which also means any that I'd purchase for test and review.

Right now I'm sitting on four excellent projectors, with a fifth showing up shortly. My wallet along with my credit cards can only take so much abuse before they bust. So.....that basically means, I'll be getting rid of a few of these projectors in order to make room for any other ones, should there be any other ones that is.

Sutter
post #109 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 AM

Funky that Costo US carries those PJs .. that's hilarious.

S.Cane - feeling better?

You've not yet received the Cinema 1080 yet hey?
post #110 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Heh, hard to keep a good man down. I hope your feeling as well as your posts seem to indicate.
I need to tell you Sutter, that this has been the most valuable thread for me as far as these forums go. If I don't make the very best decision, we have at least illiminated many of the mistakes I may have made. The good news is that I've given myself 30 days 'till I pull the trigger. Thanks a million for taking so much time with this.
(Now a newb question)
If I got my thoughts right, going CIH will add a minimum $1000 to your HT viewing budget, providing that the projector does the "stretch". This is assuming the least expensive anamorphic lens.
Is (in your opinion) it worth downgrading your projector budget, in order to get the additional hardware. (My present proj allowance is $3000.)
Please be aware that I have never seen a home theater projector in the flesh. Being semi-homebound, the only time I ever will, is if its in my own home.
Tony...
post #111 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishysan View Post

Funky that Costo US carries those PJs .. that's hilarious.

S.Cane - feeling better?

You've not yet received the Cinema 1080 yet hey?

The 1080 is expected to be here today or tomorrow.

As for my well being, well, I'd call it so so at this point. No major improvements by any means, but the meds are defiantly helping because I do feel a difference. I suppose the short answer would be I'm feeling a little better, but nothing dramatic at this point.

Why do you find it hilarious that Costco is selling these projectors? Costco is a great company, and these are two great projectors. I just don't understand where the comedy comes into play on that.

Sutter
post #112 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Since there seem to be so few AE1000 owners out there, I thought I would ask you guys the following:

How noticeable will the difference between an AX100 and AE1000 for movies? (I have the AX100 already, wondering if the upgrade is worth it)

Will the AE1000 be bright enough for my setup: 106" screen, shelf mounted 11 feet away, limited ambient light (cream colored walls).

I have asked this elsewhere (sorry for the repetition), but seems that folks on this thread would have some good advice here. I am considering this projector, the Epson, or the JVC.
post #113 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post

Heh, hard to keep a good man down. I hope your feeling as well as your posts seem to indicate.
I need to tell you Sutter, that this has been the most valuable thread for me as far as these forums go. If I don't make the very best decision, we have at least illiminated many of the mistakes I may have made. The good news is that I've given myself 30 days 'till I pull the trigger. Thanks a million for taking so much time with this.
(Now a newb question)
If I got my thoughts right, going CIH will add a minimum $1000 to your HT viewing budget, providing that the projector does the "stretch". This is assuming the least expensive anamorphic lens.
Is (in your opinion) it worth downgrading your projector budget, in order to get the additional hardware. (My present proj allowance is $3000.)
Please be aware that I have never seen a home theater projector in the flesh. Being semi-homebound, the only time I ever will, is if its in my own home.
Tony...

That's really a tough call because naturally there's going to be pro's and con's in doing so. For myself, me personally, yeah, I would.

Only people who have or seen a CIH setup will truly understand where I'm coming from on this. It's just truly a remarkable experience. So, if I had to choose between spending more money on a projector, or a little less on one in order to afford getting all that I would need to do a CIH setup, then personally I myself would do just that, because the experience of a CIH setup is truly unreal. Worth every penny/dollar in my opinion.

Thank you for the kind words, as I appreciate them greatly. I'm hanging in there, doing a tad bit better but no dramatic improvements at this point. Meds are helping a lot though.

Sutter
post #114 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2 View Post

How noticeable will the difference between an AX100 and AE1000 for movies? (I have the AX100 already, wondering if the upgrade is worth it)

In terms of brightness, quite a bit. In terms of contrast, sharpness, ect..ect.., you'll notice a difference with AE1000 if you're sitting closer then 1.5 X the width of your sreen. If you're seating is greater then that, then the difference will be barly noticeable, if at all. Especially in you're case (screen less the 110", light color walls, ect..ect...).

Now if you had a dark room, total light control, and really huge screen, the factors would change a little bit. Going off of what you all shared, it is of my opinion you'd be fine with either unit.

The Gods honest truth on which of these two projectors is the better unit to go with, really resides in your setup. I can elaborate on that if requested.

Sutter
post #115 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post

Tony...

I am very much in similar situation except that I've been enjoying home theater projectors at friends places. I've never seen a CIH setup anywhere but the pictures I've seen here and in Home theater construction forum made it clear for me what I should have in my theater. Since 90% of my viewing will be movies, CIH became the only option for me.

I never thought I will get a Panasonic initially as I was all set on JVC RS1 and had Pearl as my second option as they both have so much going here by the pros. Either of them not having VERTICAL STRETCH made me look at other options and ran into this most informative thread for my budget. 5K for projector setup.

Initially, it was RS1 with SMX screen. Then, I downgraded my self to AX100 and invested the rest on a lasting 12' wide 2.35 High Power screen(to compensate for low power 1080ps) and will soon order prismasonic Anamorphic lens. All for close to my 5K budget.

Sometimes, I wish I skipped on High Power and went with SMX as AX100 seems to have plenty of brightness to lite up the 12' screen with lens.
post #116 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Cane, I should have noted that my seating distance is 1.3 X width of screen.

I primarily watch movies, so the movie modes (i.e. not dynamic) are most relevant. What I have found with the AX100 is that even though it puts out a lot of light, in the movie settings it is considerably less bright--and thus the high lumen capacity is a bit wasted/irrelevant for me. The AE1000 has much lower lumens, but I do worry if it is too low in the movie settings (cinema 1 and 2).
post #117 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2 View Post

Cane, I should have noted that my seating distance is 1.3 X width of screen.

I primarily watch movies, so the movie modes (i.e. not dynamic) are most relevant. What I have found with the AX100 is that even though it puts out a lot of light, in the movie settings it is considerably less bright--and thus the high lumen capacity is a bit wasted/irrelevant for me. The AE1000 has much lower lumens, but I do worry if it is too low in the movie settings (cinema 1 and 2).

Oh ok, well that defiantly makes a difference.

To help answer your area of concern regarding the AE1000U, can you please tell me a little more about your screen. Specifically what kind of screen is it and what is it's gain level?

Sutter
post #118 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

the screen is 106" graywolf (1.8 gain), and am considering getting a 106" Dalite High Power screen (which is even higher gain than the graywolf).
post #119 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Since there seems to be a lot of people who are really unsure as to what/which projector will be best for them and their setup (720p or 1080p), I figured I'd take the time, and well, try my best to help you come to that determination.

As I've mentioned more then a few times, a series of questions really need to asked and answered. I'll start by reiterating those, so you guys won't have to go back and try to find them in this thread.

For starters

1. What am I after? What is it you're wanting to do.

2. Which projector will give me all or most of what I'm looking for, for the least amount of money?

Despite what anybody says, cost is always an object. As I've mentioned before, most of us are not rolling in the dough, with cash flowing out of our rear ends. It's not like we have money trees growing out in the backyard that we can just pull as much cash off of whenever we want/need to. Despite what anybody says, cost is always an issue to "some" extent.

3. Will, and or could, my decision effect other things that I'm going to want and need to pull off the setup that I want to do?

Example: If I purchase the most expensive projector, would it or could it effect getting that new screen I want, or that new lens I've been eyeballing ect...ect...?

4. Do I really want to jump up to a 1080p projector now, knowing that they will only get better and cheaper as time goes on?

And last, but certainly not least

5. Am I really going to benefit from a 1080p projector?

The fact of the matter is, many people, despite what they "want" to think, will not benefit from stepping up to a 1080p projector. Or at least not in the way they're thinking they would. It all boils down to various factors, such as how far from the screen they're going to sit, how big of screen they're projecting on, is the room light controled or is it not, ect... ect...

These are all things that I feel everybody should ask themselves and take under serious consideration. Unfortunately, alot of people fail to do so.

Once you've answered these questions for yourself, you'll be better prepared to make a logical and sound decision based upon what is best for YOU, your SETUP, and of course, your WALLET.

The reason that I recommend these steps, is because in this hobby it's simply far to easy to get sucked into what I call the bandwagon game. There's constantly new products that are always coming out. With these new products comes a lot of hype, some justified, some not. We all hear this hype and by nature we get excited. These feelings of excitement, more often then not, causes us to make irrational decisions without throughly thinking things through. So ask yourself these questions, and buy what's right for you, your needs, your system/setup, and ultimately your budget. By doing so, I think you'll find greater peace of mind and a system that you'll not only love, but one in which you can enjoy for years to come.

However, in order to answer these questions appropriately and effectively, further explanation is needed.

In order to truly benefit from a 1080p projector, many factors have to be presented and not all or any specific one is required, but at least one of them is necessary. Sound confusing? It isn't, let me explain.

To make it easier for everyone to understand, I'll break it down and then elaborate from there.

A person will benefit from a 1080p projector if....

1. You plan on sitting less then 1.5 X the width of your screen.

2. You plan on projecting onto a very large screen (greater then 110) and the conditions of your room, followed by your setup, is right.

3. You plan on projecting onto a smaller screen (less then 110) and the conditions of your room, followed by your setup, is right.

Now everybody gets totally confused regarding 2 and 3, so let me just clear up all that confusion regarding that issue. I think we can all agree that number 1 pretty much speaks for itself, therefore I don't believe any further explanation is necessary on that one.

Room condition gentlemen, whether or not you'll benefit from a 1080p projector pretty much all comes down to the condition of your room, followed by the type of screen you decide to go with.

Let's assume that your room is dark and totally light controlled. Let's also assume that you plan on going with a screen that less then a 110 and that you're seating is greater then 1.5 X the width of your screen. Do you think you're going to benefit from a 1080p projector under these conditions? Oh I hope that you don't, because I'm sorry to say that you will not, and here's why. It's all predicated on facts, and the fact of the matter is, there's only so much the human eye can see/notice or in other words differentiate.

When you start talking about the differences of 1080p verses 720p, the numbers are not quite as large as what one may think. For example, the resolution of pixels in a 720p projector/display is 1,280x720. Where as the resolution of pixels in a 1080p projector/display is 1,920x1080. Looks like a huge difference, doesn't it. However when you break that down that's only a difference of 640x360. Still a fairly significant difference, but one that is only noticeable to the human eye under the right conditions/circumstances.

So what are those conditions and or circumstances in which would allow me to benefit from a 1080p projector? It's a good question but one that doesn't come with an easy answer, for there's a lot of variables that plays into that.

I personally believe that the more important question would be, is it worth it?

In my personal and expert opinion, no, I do not feel it's worth jumping up to a 1080p projector at this point in time; And the reason is simple.

They lack the lumens needed to really benefit from having a 1080p projector, unless your screen is smaller then 110 and your seating is less then 1.5 X the width of the screen.

To really reap the benefits of having a 1080p projector, you'd want to go with a really large screen, for the larger the screen, the more you'll notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. The problem with that is none of the 1080p projectors that's available right now have a high enough lumen output to do a screen of that size justice.

So what the hell is the solution. Well, you got two choices.

1. You wait it out. Save your money and wait another year or two. It's a known fact in this hobby, products only get better and cheaper as time goes on.

If you feel you just have to have a 1080p projector now, or simply just want one, then

2. You go with a high gain screen such as the Vutec SilverStar or Dalites High Power, for example. Basically anything with a gain of 1.4 or greater, and personally if it were me, I'd stick with a gain of 2.0 or higher, but it all depends on the actual size of the screen.

The bottom line, in order to truly benefit from a 1080p projector at a seating distance greater then 1.5 X the width of the screen, is to go with a really large screen and one with a higher gain level, otherwise you won't be benefiting at all due to low lumens that these 1080p projectors posses. At least at this point time. That is why I recommend that if a person wants to go with any of these 1080p projectors, it's vital to choose your screen wisely.

Ok, I'm ending this here in fear of writing you all a novel to read. If anybody has any questions or would like further explanation, please feel free to ask.

Sutter
post #120 of 232 Old 01-26-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post

Since there seems to be a lot of people who are really unsure as to what/which projector will be best for them and their setup (720p or 1080p), I figured I'd take the time, and well, try my best to help you come to that determination.

As I've mentioned more then a few times, a series of questions really need to asked and answered. I'll start by reiterating those, so you guys won't have to go back and try to find them in this thread.

For starters

1. What am I after? What is it you're wanting to do.

2. Which projector will give me all or most of what I'm looking for, for the least amount of money?

Despite what anybody says, cost is always an object. As I've mentioned before, most of us are not rolling in the dough, with cash flowing out of our rear ends. It's not like we have money trees growing out in the backyard that we can just pull as much cash off of whenever we want/need to. Despite what anybody says, cost is always an issue to "some" extent.

3. Will, and or could, my decision effect other things that I'm going to want and need to pull off the setup that I want to do?

Example: If I purchase the most expensive projector, would it or could it effect getting that new screen I want, or that new lens I've been eyeballing ect...ect...?

And last, but certainly not least

5. Am I really going to benefit from a 1080p projector?

The fact of the matter is, many people, despite what they "want" to think, will not benefit from stepping up to a 1080p projector. Or at least not in the way they're thinking they would. It all boils down to various factors, such as how far from the screen they're going to sit, how big of screen they're projecting on, is the room light controled or is it not, ect... ect...

The reason that I recommend these steps, is because in this hobby it's simply far to easy to get sucked into what I call the bandwagon game. There's constantly new products that are always coming out. With these new products comes a lot of hype, some justified, some not. We all hear this hype and by nature we get excited. These feelings of excitement, more often then not, causes us to make irrational decisions without throughly thinking things through. So ask yourself these questions, and buy what's right for you, your needs, your system/setup, and ultimately your budget. By doing so, I think you'll find greater peace of mind and a system that you'll not only love, but one in which you can enjoy for years to come.

However, in order to answer these questions appropriately and effectively, further explanation is needed.

In order to truly benefit from a 1080p projector, many factors have to be presented and not all or any specific one is required, but at least one of them is necessary. Sound confusing? It isn't, let me explain.

To make it easier for everyone to understand, I'll break it down and then elaborate from there.

A person will benefit from a 1080p projector if....

1. You plan on sitting less then 1.5 X the width of your screen.

2. You plan on projecting onto a very large screen (greater then 110) and the conditions of your room, followed by your setup, is right.

3. You plan on projecting onto a smaller screen (less then 110) and the conditions of your room, followed by your setup, is right.

Now everybody gets totally confused regarding 2 and 3, so let me just clear up all that confusion regarding that issue. I think we can all agree that number 1 pretty much speaks for itself, therefore I don't believe any further explanation is necessary on that one.

Room condition gentlemen, whether or not you'll benefit from a 1080p projector pretty much all comes down to the condition of your room, followed by the type of screen you decide to go with.

Let's assume that your room is dark and totally light controlled. Let's also assume that you plan on going with a screen that less then a 110 and that you're seating is greater then 1.5 X the width of your screen. Do you think you're going to benefit from a 1080p projector under these conditions? Oh I hope that you don't, because I'm sorry to say that you will not, and here's why. It's all predicated on facts, and the fact of the matter is, there's only so much the human eye can see/notice or in other words differentiate.

When you start talking about the differences of 1080p verses 720p, the numbers are not quite as large as what one may think. For example, the resolution of pixels in a 720p projector/display is 1,280x720. Where as the resolution of pixels in a 1080p projector/display is 1,920x1080. Looks like a huge difference, doesn't it. However when you break that down that's only a difference of 640x360. Still a fairly significant difference, but one that is only noticeable to the human eye under the right conditions/circumstances.

So what are those conditions and or circumstances in which would allow me to benefit from a 1080p projector? It's a good question but one that doesn't come with an easy answer, for there's a lot of variables that plays into that.

I personally believe that the more important question would be, is it worth it?

In my personal and expert opinion, no, I do not feel it's worth jumping up to a 1080p projector at this point in time; And the reason is simple.

They lack the lumens needed to really benefit from having a 1080p projector, unless your screen is smaller then 110 and your seating is less then 1.5 X the width of the screen.

To really reap the benefits of having a 1080p projector, you'd want to go with a really large screen, for the larger the screen, the more you'll notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. The problem with that is none of the 1080p projectors that's available right now have a high enough lumen output to do a screen of that size justice.

So what the hell is the solution. Well, you got two choices.

1. You wait it out. Save your money and wait another year or two. It's a known fact in this hobby, products only get better and cheaper as time goes on.

If you feel you just have to have a 1080p projector now, or simply just want one, then

2. You go with a high gain screen such as the Vutec SilverStar or Dalites High Power, for example. Basically anything with a gain of 1.4 or greater, and personally if it were me, I'd stick with a gain of 2.0 or higher, but it all depends on the actual size of the screen.

The bottom line, in order to truly benefit from a 1080p projector at a seating distance greater then 1.5 X the width of the screen, is to go with a really large screen and one with a higher gain level, otherwise you won't be benefiting at all due to low lumens that these 1080p projectors posses. At least at this point time. That is why I recommend that if a person wants to go with any of these 1080p projectors, it's vital to choose your screen wisely.

Ok, I'm ending this here in fear of writing you all a novel to read. If anybody has any questions or would like further explanation, please feel free to ask.

Wow.... S.Cane, you can never leave this forum or at least you have to tell us where to go to read your good stuff
Maybe the Epson 1080/TW1000 will break the rules and become something for all of us regardless of screen size, seating distance, etc.....
Brigtness or the lack there of, seems to be the shortcoming of the 1080p projectors, thereby limiting their appeal to those of us with less than ideal setups.
Anyway, get well and don't over do it........

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page