On the cheap-How to get into the secret club? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 287 Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
re: ISCO II

Yes, you do have to adjust your zoom slightly when removing/adding the lens. Never found it much of a problem, but I guess it could be if you want a fully automated set up and don't have motorized zoom and lens shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 287 Old 03-10-2008, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Is it just the size which changes, or is it also the focus?
If it's just the size, I imagine that some systems could suck this up invisibly into the overscan area.
For example at 1.04x on a 50" high screen you end up with 1" more overscan top and bottom (it if enlarges evenly which maybe it doesn't)
At 1.12 you end up with 3" top and bottom which I guess is trickier, especially if it's more at the bottom (which I suspect it is for most people with a ceiling-mounted pj).

I'm currently thinking that if I get an ISCO II that I will leave the lens in place anyway, but it's not certain.
post #273 of 287 Old 03-10-2008, 10:52 AM

The ISCO II has it's own focusing ring, so you should be able to leave it set for proper focus after the zoom adjustments have been made.

I never got that organized, and would mess around with both zoom and focus when using it, which just took a few seconds. My setup made that easy, though, as my projector was shelf mounted and easy to reach. One reason I've stopped using it, is that I switched to mounting the projector on a pole (an upside down ceiling mount), and didn't have the patience to figure out how to mount the lens as well.
post #274 of 287 Old 03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Correct me if I am wrong, but the lens should be a set and forget thing. Even if you do find that your making projector zoom/focus adjustments, you should have to touch the lens as you would make sure that the projector is right before sliding the lens into the light path...

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #275 of 287 Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

That's what I read doctormyeyes as saying Mark. i.e. that you can adjust for the focus change on the isco II itself (set and forget) so that when it's slid in and out, it maintains focus.
I was thinking that I would have to refocus something each time, but it appears not.
post #276 of 287 Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that you can adjust for the focus change on the isco II itself (set and forget)

Once more, the "focus" adjustment on an anamorphic lens is NOT a focus adjustment. It is used to correct for astigmatism, which varies based on the throw distance from the lens to the screen. There is one and only one correct setting for this and it has nothing to do with correcting for possible focus differences when the lens is positioned, either in or out of the beam of the projector.

Vern
post #277 of 287 Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Vern. So in your experience, does the projector need a refocus with an ISCO II sled?
post #278 of 287 Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 AM

I guess I was using the focus ring improperly, all those years. Whatever, it looked pretty good once I set things up. If memory serves me, I did have to refocus the projector slightly when inserting the lens, but perhaps that was because I was setting the ISCO's own ring improperly. I defer to a present user.

I'll check it out for you if I have time. It's a pain with my present projector mount, though. Sorry.

Trying to figure out what these go for on ebay, then probably willing to sell.

(To those of you have sent me messages, sorry for the slow replies, I no longer spend my days at the forum, been playing in my band, instead.)
post #279 of 287 Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't ever move my anamorphic lens from it's fixed position. I view sleds as an unneeded complication to an anamorphic projection environment which imposes severe restrictions on having a truly flexible constant height setup. Since there are at least 10 different AR's that have been used over the years in motion picture presentation, having the ability to only handle 2 of them in my HT isn't acceptable to me. Ditto for zooming, focus changes, recalibration due to the differences in light output with the lens in or out of the light beam etc. etc. etc.

Of course one needs a scaler or an HTPC to take care of AR control in this environment.

Vern
post #280 of 287 Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post

I don't ever move my anamorphic lens from it's fixed position. I view sleds as an unneeded complication to an anamorphic projection environment which imposes severe restrictions on having a truly flexible constant height setup. Since there are at least 10 different AR's that have been used over the years in motion picture presentation, having the ability to only handle 2 of them in my HT isn't acceptable to me. Ditto for zooming, focus changes, recalibration due to the differences in light output with the lens in or out of the light beam etc. etc. etc.

Of course one needs a scaler or an HTPC to take care of AR control in this environment.

Vern

Vern,
Do you mind my asking if you use a scaler or HTPC? What brand/model/specifics if you are happy with the results?
Thanks-
post #281 of 287 Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Vern,

Are you still using HTPC with YXY? I seem to be having too many inconsistencies with this program be able to program as many as 10 ARs.

I do believe I have the latest version (1.6) but it doesn't allow the kind of precise control for multi aspect ratios. I am lucky if I can get the frame vertically centred each time I use it

Mark

Mark Techer

post #282 of 287 Old 03-13-2008, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

James, my primary use is an HTPC. I have a Crystalio II Scaler for other sources such as cable, but I can't really recommend it. It's flakey with too many issues.

Mark, yes I am using YXY 1.6. With no problems. I have 9 presets assigned and perfect repeatability. The only issue I have seen is that with PowerDVD, sometimes it takes 2 keystrokes to select an AR. With Arcsoft TMT, this behavior doesn't seem to occur.

It's also possible you may be using an Nvidia video card and VMR9. I gave up on Nvidia long ago, after a driver change caused VMR9 to not allow the image height to exceed the selected vertical resolution. (This also caused issues with ZP and Theatertek). This issue doesn't affect overlay or VMR7.

One thing to watch for: Make sure the hot keys you are using are not also used by other programs. With YXY's flexibilty in assigning hot keys this shouldn't be an issue.

Vern
post #283 of 287 Old 03-13-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Vern for responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post

Mark, yes I am using YXY 1.6. With no problems. I have 9 presets assigned and perfect repeatability. The only issue I have seen is that with PowerDVD, sometimes it takes 2 keystrokes to select an AR. With Arcsoft TMT, this behavior doesn't seem to occur.

So am I better off to get Arcsoft and ditch PowerDVD?

Quote:

It's also possible you may be using an Nvidia video card and VMR9. I gave up on Nvidia long ago, after a driver change caused VMR9 to not allow the image height to exceed the selected vertical resolution. (This also caused issues with ZP and Theatertek). This issue doesn't affect overlay or VMR7.

Now that I don't know about. It is what ever is built in to the Toshiba NoteBook - Satellite A200...

Quote:

One thing to watch for: Make sure the hot keys you are using are not also used by other programs. With YXY's flexibilty in assigning hot keys this shouldn't be an issue.

Vern

Thanks for the heads up, looks like I may have some homework ahead of me...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #284 of 287 Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Now that I don't know about. It is what ever is built in to the Toshiba NoteBook - Satellite A200...

Looks like you have nVidia Go 7300 onboard graphics.

You can get archived drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

post #285 of 287 Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
YXY is a useful program, but it's a little funky and takes some time to figure out how to do some functions. For example I had problems saving the ARs I set up, finally realized I had to save the individual ARs in one menu rather than just a general "save" for the main application.

I'll have to give the new ArcSoft trial a go, PDVD has been unstable for me recently, 50% of the time it dies on startup, sometimes I can't even kill the processes.
post #286 of 287 Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tried YXY with SD, and no problems at all. Just seems to have a problem with HD...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #287 of 287 Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I just tried YXY with SD, and no problems at all. Just seems to have a problem with HD...

Mark

I had heard that YXY doesn't work properly with HD material since they stopped developing the program in 2000.

Check with the guys in the HTPC forum. They'd know the details.

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page