Anthem D-2 scaler - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the scaler in the Anthem D-2 (its a Gennum) work to do the proper sscaling. Is anyone using this to do 2:35 if so how is it working out

Dewboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewboy3 View Post

Will the scaler in the Anthem D-2 (its a Gennum) work to do the proper sscaling. Is anyone using this to do 2:35 if so how is it working out

Dewboy

Yes, the Anthem D2 or AVM50 will do custom scaling for 2.35 "scope" movies with an anamorphic lens. Here is a link to a thread that will give you plenty of details, with the best post so far on this subject being post #3867. Anthem D2/AVM50 Tweaking Thread
post #3 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 PM

And I'd definitely make sure that it will work for you with HD content ( 1080p ) also - as it was indicated to me by an Anthem tech not to rely on it. I didn't pursue it with Anthem to find out for sure as I've held off buying something similar until I get a new PJ, etc. I haven't seen anything clearly stating 1080p content can be vertically stretched for CIH in the mega threads either - not that someone's not already answered (like Levesque or Bob )..

Wish the Radiance was coming out soon.. :P

Cheers.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Oh and to add - HD is key - it may stretch non-HD just fine (probably does). Many projectors are the same way. But I've noticed for example the Panny 1000 does vertically stretch 1080 content, where as the Pearl and others don't.

The Quest continues.. and the RS1 won't either probably (my next PJ hopefully - or the Epson 1000)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishysan View Post

Oh and to add - HD is key - it may stretch non-HD just fine (probably does). Many projectors are the same way. But I've noticed for example the Panny 1000 does vertically stretch 1080 content, where as the Pearl and others don't.

The Quest continues.. and the RS1 won't either probably (my next PJ hopefully - or the Epson 1000)

The D2 will scale 1080 as well. Here is the answer to this question from another post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlbrand
Quick question, I couldn't find this in earlier posts (but could have missed it).

Will the D2's custom scaling work with an HD signal?

This was being discussed in the 2:35 CIH forum here, as folks were wondering what scalers will allow you to vertically stretch/expand an HD signal so they can then horizontally stretch with their anamorphic lenses. It appears that many scalers won't do this, but I am thinking that the D2 will. Can Bob or someone confirm this?

Mike

The D2 and AVM-50 will do this. Use CROP INPUT = CUSTOM in the Video Source Adjust menu to set a 2.35 frame (or whatever) around the movie embedded in the 1.78 (16:9) or 1.33 (4:3) source video input. Then use SCALE OUT = ANAMORPHIC to uniformly stretch that cropped image to your chosen output horizontal x vertical resolution. The result will be that your 2.35 movie is stretched uniformly in the vertical direction to fill the output frame.

You can also shift the centering of the crop as necessary to include subtitles that happen to be displayed below the image.
--Bob

post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Isn't that just a zoom? It does not look to me to be a vertical stretch, or did I miss read that?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

I do not have a D2 but from what I have read on the input side you crop and then on the output side you stretch the cropped output, it is a two step process.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page