Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to go CIH, but have several reservations:

1. I want to use all the resolution of the panel, in both 16:9 and 2.35:1.

2. I don't want to use an anamorphic lens, because I don't have the money to buy one that won't degrade the picture.

3. My projector will probably have no lens shift, and minimal zoom range.

The above requirements possibly rob me of any way of doing CIH, except maybe the following way:

What if I were to mount the projector on a ceiling track ?. This way, if I want to watch 16:9 material, I push the pj forward on the track (to make a smaller picture), and when I'll want to watch 2.35:1, I'll push it backwards on the track. Actually, I can make the forward end of the track at a distance perfect for 16:9, and the backward end of the track perfect for 2.35:1, this way I will be able to easily and accurately switch between modes, because each mode will be the end of the track (this way I won't have to struggle with finding the exact right distance for each mode, everytime I switch).

Is it theoretically and practiclly possible ?, if so, what I are the downsides for this scheme ?.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Yes, it's possible, but you won't be using the full resolution of the panel without an anamorphic lens.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're right, what I wanted to say in requirement #1, is actually that I want to use the entire *horizontal* resolution, in each mode.

Is there a projector that will not be compatible with the scheme I outlined above ?.

I will have to change focus everytime I switch between modes. Do you think this constant play with the focus mechanism could shortly lead to failure of the mechanism ?, i.e is the focus mechanism usually robust enough to endure such "torture" ?.

Another question:
When switching beween modes, will the center point of the 16:9 and 2.35:1 images, will overlap on the same point on the screen ?. If straight light leaving the projector lens, does not hit directly at the center of the screen, I can't see this happening (and I think many projectors shoot at an angle). Is this indeed a problem ?.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-15-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you get a projector with enough zoom you can do what you say without a ceiling mounted slide. My Optoma H77 can fill my 2:35.1 screen, well almost, and can be sized to fit the height of the screen with 16:9 both stay in focus just zoom in and out. Of course as stated you are not using the full panel that way. but this is what I did till I got my Panamorph UH380.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 AM

McCall,

How do you like the 380 with the H77? Can you tell me the pros and cons?

Scott
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well we don't have it permanently mounted yet, it has been a bad few weeks here. But from the temp cludge efforts to see how it would be, I can't find any real cons. I am still hoping one of these days to get the theater really finished and get some pictures posted.
I mean as we do mount it etc. we will need to do adjustments etc. I am sure, heck nothing is even calibrated yet in there, still all looks fantastic. and the fact we keep changing out various components and testing high end stuff out, like Esoteric UX-1 DVD player , [that thing is sweet] and Lexicon AVR's various ones, does not help to keep straight what is best with what, but it sure makes for some fun viewing and listening.

are you thinking of getting the UH380? or do you already have it? did you sell your H77?

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Jones -

What you want to do is possible. In fact last year I remember seeing photos of someone who had done this. They also included a drop feature for the image shifting while zooming issue. I am sorry but I don't remember who it was. It will probably be impossible to search for. The good news is that it worked!

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post

Jones -

What you want to do is possible. In fact last year I remember seeing photos of someone who had done this.
Jeff

This might not be the specific reference, but Member Monkey Man has done something similar with various DIY mounts.

Scroll through these photos

ted
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page