post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which projector do you have now?

A few things to think about.

1. The current crop of "lower priced" 1080p projectors do not have very high lumen output. Depending on your current setup this could be a big factor. There is a thread about the Panasonic 1080p and CIH you might want to read.

2. If your current pj has the needed v stretch then you could get a lens and screen and be ready to upgrade to 1080p later when (hopefully) brighter pj's come out and probably at lower pricing yet.

3. There is another thread about 1080p vs 720p somewhere on AVS where a group in Greece couldn't really tell the difference. Some info in the Panny 1080p thread as well I believe. Basically, if you are sitting 1.5x screen width or further you really can't tell the difference according to many people.

I have only seen one CIH setup in person and I was blown away. I didn't think I could afford it but after reading so much here I realize I can...and I am. Lens is ordered. Will get pj when I move into my new place in April and decide on screen then as well.

Have Fun!

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #4 of 8 Old 02-14-2007, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Mustang,

What lens did you go with?

Scott
post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably the Australian one.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Actually I did choose the Aussiemorphic at this time. I was going to build my own but figured by the time I had some trial and error it would be worth spending a little more on a ready to go kit. If you are looking to save some money it's a great option (IMO) but I don't know how much longer the power buy lasts. I thought it ended today. Also keep your eye open for people selling lenses. I have run across a couple of those as well. In fact if things work out I may be upgrading in May already.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is exactly what I have been doing the last 2 weeks.

I upgraded from my z2 to the Sony Pearl. I haven't got around to mounting my Panamorph U-100 that I had been using with the Z2. I have watched Spiderman 2 and Sgt. Pepper's (both 2.35...save your SP comments for another thread) and zoomed/shifted the Pearl. I'm effectively getting 1920 X 720 in this mode.

PQ is better than the Z2/Panamorph combo...whether this is the extra resolution, SXRD reducing pixel structure, or just a better projector...I'm not sure. The only thing that I have noticed that annoys me is that it seems the letterboxing bars are affecting the dynamic iris. 1/3 of the panel is black, so the iris adjusts accordingly.

I'm going to give the Panamorph a shot with this setup, and it's going to be used like I always have used it: for scope movies only, slid out of the way for everything else. The only problem I can see is that the Pearl lens is huge compared to the Z2. I'm not sure if the U-100 has a big enough opening to accept the light path from the lens. A quick hand-held test makes it a 50/50 proposition. I have to mount the Pearl back about 5-6 feet for the throw ratio to be correct, which is why I haven't bothered trying it out yet.

Reader's Digest version: going from 720p+Panamorph=<1080p zooming. 1080p+panamorph=?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only thing that I have noticed that annoys me is that it seems the letterboxing bars are affecting the dynamic iris. 1/3 of the panel is black, so the iris adjusts accordingly.

Wow, I never thought about it before. You mean the DI works best only when the entire panel is used ?. What is the net effect of this, that the iris never opens completely ?, the image appears dimmer ?.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page