I think I am in over my head with the Lumagen HDP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, I received the Lumagen HDP scaler today with the Panamorph uh380 due to arrive wednesday. After looking at the Lumagen manual I just don't think I have the intelligence to operate it. I reminds me of my college days when I first opened up my calculus book for the first time. It looks like I am reading a manual written in a non english language. To make matters worse, the Lumagen arrived today without a component output that I need. I was told by the dealer I ordered from twice that it had this feature. After getting it today, I called Lumagen and they said that it was an optional feature available for an extra cost. I am soooooooo tempted to call Dalite tomorrow and if it is not too late, cancel the 2.35 screen order. I can return the Lumagen but the uh380 is subject to a 15% restocking fee so I would probably just put it on the forums marketplace and give some member a good deal. I have been dreaming of having a CIH setup but think I might be too stupid to do it. I just don't know if the cost and aggravation are worth it

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My opinion is to hang in there and in the end it will be worth it, youre attempting something that not everyone has done there is a lot of help here on the forums, your equipment is popular enough that you can receive help, umm how did you do in your calculus class anyway?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yeah agree, don't throw in the towel just yet. Your gonna have some serious toys to go CIH, and once you work through this, you'll laugh everytime you think back to how you nearly gave it up...

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I am in the process of building my room and also have the UH380, plan on getting a Lumagen processer (HDP or HDQ). I am also a bit worried about getting it all working seamlessly. Stick it out for me so that I keep my hopes high.

-T.Wells

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If anyones sweating Its me, Isco III arrives today, Dalite 125" diagonal highpower on order Anthem D1 sent out for D2 upgrade, JVC RS1 preorder( marantz 11s1 will be used for scope movies), Ive got almost a years mortgage payments tied up here, if thing goes bust look for me at the bottom of the river

post #6 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yes, the Lumagen can be challenging in learning how to use it. But after using it a while, perusing the Lumagen support forum (link is on their support section of their site), asking around here, you'll get it. And, when you do you'll wonder why you didn't understand it in the first place.
However, you will have to get one with the BNC outputs if you want component outputs. It costs an additional $100, I think. Then you will either have to use a cable with BNC plugs, or get some BNC to RCA adapters if you are using component cables. I would also recommend buying the new optional remote control that has the dedicated button for 2.35 aspect ratio. If you're using a universal remote, the code is available to assign to a button, so you don't really have to have the new remote. That's what I did.
You could also upgrade to the HDQ which comes with the component outputs standard.
Once you have done the above you're almost there. I will be happy to step you through setting it up, either on the phone or via email; just PM me if you need help.
Once you learn the Lumagen, you'll appreciate that while the menu system is rudimentary, it certainly isn't crippled in any way. Also, there are very simple "shorthand" codes that allow you to bypass the menu system and do what you want very fast.
Hang in there, don't give up.

Bob
post #7 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Lumagen charges $100 plus shipping to add the optional BNC output to any VisionHDP. You can check with Lumagen for details.

You can use a DVI to BNC cable. This should work just fine but the analog output won't be terminated as well as if you install the optional BNC output.

The Lumagen Dealer Training Manual has information that you might find helpful to learn how to set up your Lumagen. Send an email to support at Lumagen and request a copy of the manual.

Best regards,
Randy Freeman
post #8 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Yes, the manual is a bit overwhelming, but it really is not difficult to get started. Basically you set up your output resolution and change the TOPL and BTMR settings on two different memory banks and you are good to go for CIH. There are a huge number of tweaks that you can do (hence the many options in the manual), but you don't have to set everything up on the first day. It's about 10 minutes of setup needed for someone who is used to the Lumagen menus...I would estimate about an hour or more for someone who isn't. That will get you going.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys! Believe me, it was something I desperately needed and GREATLY aprecciate. I decided to go ahead and keep my order because of it. I received the UH380 lens today, the screen was to be shipped today and Jason is working on getting me the Lumagen HDP with component out. I can hardly wait to start working on this. I am sure I will have plenty of questions during setup By the way, I highly recommend buying from Jason Turk here at avcience. He is always understanding and has never tried to sell me something more expensive than what I can afford. These days, dealers like Jason are as rare as a reliable contractor.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #10 of 10 Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 AM

KEEP the Lumagen and and the lense. Only once you have it setup will you understand CIH. I got my Lumagen about 2 months ago and I just did the basic setup for now too. I don't what the hell else to do yet, but i've been reading lumagen forum and here to get some info.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page