My first 2.35:1 theater finally finished! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks to many of you on this forum for the help you have given me over the past 6 months designing and answering my questions. I am proud to say my first 2.35:1 theater (first theater actually) is now officially complete. I did all the work myself with the help of my wife on the curtains and screen. Click on my signature to be linked to my construction thread for this theater if interested.

Again thank you all!

Basics:

8' wide 2.35:1 SMX screen
Masking side panels retract into columns
Panasonic AX100U
Prismasonic 1400R
Throw ratio about 1.9 in native 16x9 mode
Seating ratio about 1.4 in 2.35:1 mode
Acoustically treated room (fabric panels and entire screen wall)
Cozy, seats 4 (room 13.5' x 14.5')
Xbox 360 (gaming on a big screen is so cool!)
Total cost under $10K

Screen view showing 2.35:1

Screen view showing 16X9

Seating and Projector:

Theater entry and equipment closet with velour curtains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
Looks great!
post #3 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks very good!

Where did you find the fabric panels and for how much? Looks very nice. 8) I might take some ideas from that setup. 8)

My setup, still in progress:

post #4 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Are the curtains supposed to drag on the floor like in the picture? It doesn't look bad but you might want to consider lifting them up so they don't get stepped on.

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #5 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 View Post

Looks very good!

Where did you find the fabric panels and for how much? Looks very nice. 8) I might take some ideas from that setup. 8)

Thanks for your nice comment. I built the frames myself. Click on the link in my signature for the entire build thread.

Please feel free to take away ideas, I got many of mine from here and hopefully I can contribute some of my own

post #6 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turansformer View Post

Are the curtains supposed to drag on the floor like in the picture? It doesn't look bad but you might want to consider lifting them up so they don't get stepped on.

My wife seems to think so Some of the design mags she consulted show the curtains pooling on the floor.

post #7 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishIWasFlying View Post

My wife seems to think so Some of the design mags she consulted show the curtains pooling on the floor.

That's cool. I hope you don't have a cat with claws, though....

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #8 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turansformer View Post

That's cool. I hope you don't have a cat with claws, though....

No pets just kids. Kids are probably worse

post #9 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How wide is that sectional?? It sure looks comfy. It looks a little too wide for room, but it's worth asking....
post #10 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

How wide is that sectional?? It sure looks comfy. It looks a little too wide for room, but it's worth asking....

Yep it is a little too wide right recliner won't recline but left one does. I think it is about 12' wide. When originally designing the theater I wanted to orient the room the other way with door to the rear of the theater but the darn sectional was too wide and the budget didn't allow for new seating.

post #11 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I like it! Tell us about your side panels that retract into the columns - how did you do that? I assume it is manually operated? What is the story with your projector box - where is your equipment? I am a big proponent of hidden equipment. The SMX gives you the perfect imaging from your speakers, and hides them as a bonus. Looks great!
post #12 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

WIWF,

Read your entire construction thread. Very nice work. 8)

I love your paneling, your front screen wall, the masking, and your equipment rack. 8) You and your wife are very handy, that room looks professionally done.

I think you mention in your thread that the HD-DVD drive of the x360 does vertical stretch. Am I understanding this correctly? It does the stretch vertically to allow an anamorphic lens to fill out a 2.35 screen? 8)

post #13 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 View Post

WIWF,

Read your entire construction thread. Very nice work. 8)

I love your paneling, your front screen wall, the masking, and your equipment rack. 8) You and your wife are very handy, that room looks professionally done.

I think you mention in your thread that the HD-DVD drive of the x360 does vertical stretch. Am I understanding this correctly? It does the stretch vertically to allow an anamorphic lens to fill out a 2.35 screen? 8)

I replied on my construction thread but will correct my orignal post here as well.

The 360 console DVD drive will do the V stretch for DVD's.
The HD-DVD add on drive does not have any aspect ratio modes, you will have to rely on project or external scaler.

So if you are a Panasonic AX100U owner like me your 360 will do the stretcch for DVD's and the projector will do the stretch using the V-FIT aspect ratio mode for 720P signals and higher. AX100U will not scale vertically on 480P (V-FIT not supported at 480P).

post #14 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Very good to know on the x360. Thanks!

post #15 of 23 Old 02-25-2007, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Very nice Be sure to email Alan...

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #16 of 23 Old 02-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

WIWF,
Congrats to you for doing a great looking theater. I am sure you must have enjoyed immensely the first movie you played. I've been following your threads and as we were in the same boat for a month now.

I myself finished (except for some decor) my theater yesterday and was just blown away with CIH setup I had. I've been seeing friends theaters for years now and this CIH felt like a whole new ball game.

I will post pictures and all about my theater soon.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-25-2007, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits View Post

WIWF,
Congrats to you for doing a great looking theater. I am sure you must have enjoyed immensely the first movie you played. I've been following your threads and as we were in the same boat for a month now.

I myself finished (except for some decor) my theater yesterday and was just blown away with CIH setup I had. I've been seeing friends theaters for years now and this CIH felt like a whole new ball game.

I will post pictures and all about my theater soon.

Please do, and PM me with the link or put it in your sig. Thank you for your nice comments on this thread and on my build thread.

I was so excited turning on the projector for the first time and getting the lens in place. As I mentioned before this is my first home theater and I have never owned a projector before nonetheless an anamorphic lens.

I wanted to do it right the first time after being introduced to AVSForum and this group in particular.

Thanks!

Matt

post #18 of 23 Old 02-25-2007, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

I like it! Tell us about your side panels that retract into the columns - how did you do that? I assume it is manually operated? What is the story with your projector box - where is your equipment? I am a big proponent of hidden equipment. The SMX gives you the perfect imaging from your speakers, and hides them as a bonus. Looks great!

Sorry missed this post

Click on the link in my signature. Page #4 has all the details regarding the retractable side masking panels. If you have any further questions please post on the construction thread.

My equipment is in the closet with the velour curtains covering it. I hate seeing wires (and equipment for that matter) so I wanted everything hidden that I could. The rear surrounds are however visible but above and behind the seating and black

Yes love the SMX. Would have used the tensioning keys for the Utrecht stretcher bars next time because I do have some wrinkes but they aren't noticiable during viewing.

post #19 of 23 Old 02-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Very nice setup. How do you like the Prismasonic? That would be my next upgrade but they are a bit pricey.

Greg
post #20 of 23 Old 02-26-2007, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Matty View Post

Very nice setup. How do you like the Prismasonic? That would be my next upgrade but they are a bit pricey.

Greg

I am still in the process of getting it all setup. Waiting to recieve the upgrade part to make it a 5 element lens so I don't have to focus the image when going from pass to stretch and vice versa.

post #21 of 23 Old 02-26-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Generally speaking she is right but because of the tightness of the space and the utilitarian purpose of the curtains, I would raise them a bit.

Kaboom.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-26-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

No pets just kids. Kids are probably worse

I can agree there, but we've got both, 2 cats and 2 kids.

Looks great, I'm uber jealous.

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
Choosing sides is so...last gen.
360/PS3/Wii/HD DVD/Blu-Ray/Plasma/PJ - Too much money
Not having to choose - Priceless
post #23 of 23 Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS10L View Post

I can agree there, but we've got both, 2 cats and 2 kids.

Looks great, I'm uber jealous.

As long as we don't have blue berries, markers, paints, scissors, etc. downstairs we are doing well. Luckily the screen is high enough that when they are running around in the room I can still see the picture

Thanks for your nice compliements

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page