vertical stretch with lumagen HDQ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-03-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I just got my Lumagen HDQ last week and have just now had the time to put it in the system.
Rather than read the whole manual tonite, would some one know what menu and command I need to do a quick vertical stretch for my blueray for my 2.37 screen?
So I can watch a movie tonite.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-03-2007, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quick and dirty (not the way I would leave it long term): go into the output setup and change the AR to 2.35:1.

Edit: Then press the 16:9 button, then press the "up" arrow as many times as it take for the image to fill the screen. If you have the new remote, just press the 2.35:1 button (still need to set the output AR first).
post #3 of 8 Old 03-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have a lumagen. I'm using a VP-30. try looking for the aspect ratio button.
You should be able to change between 16:9 and 4:3 or you should be able to change the frame rate .
post #4 of 8 Old 03-03-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks I'm going to try that.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

Quick and dirty (not the way I would leave it long term): go into the output setup and change the AR to 2.35:1.

Edit: Then press the 16:9 button, then press the "up" arrow as many times as it take for the image to fill the screen. If you have the new remote, just press the 2.35:1 button (still need to set the output AR first).

I can set mine up two ways (at least) and to my eyes they give identical results.
1. Keep output aspect ratio at 1.78 (16:9). Set input aspect ratio to 2.35 using the new remote command for 2.35. Then adjust the input size (top left and bottom right) to fill the screen when viewing 2.35 image. I use the GetGray calibration DVD which has a pattern with the 2.35 marked in blue. Works great.

2. Set the output aspect ratio to 2.35. Set input aspect ratio to 16:9 and push zoom to fill the screen.

I have #1 stored in Mem A and #2 stored in Mem B and can switch back and forth. Nobody can see any difference in the two images except for a slight change in size. I'm using the Naomi Watts' hair in the King Kong HD-DVD to spot any resolution differences, and I can't see any difference in resolution between the two methods. Consequently, I use #1 for convenience.

I don't set both input AR and output AR to 2.35 as that doesn't seem to work for me.

Bob
post #6 of 8 Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't use the 2.35:1 output AR or the 2.35:1 input AR. I use two memories - one with 16:9 stretched for a 2.35:1 image, and one not. There was a discussion a while back about what exactly was happening to HD signals under various scenarios of input and output AR setups on the Lumagens. It was stated (and it makes sense to me) that when you use an output AR of 2.35:1 what is happening is that 16:9 HD inputs are being squished horizontally (loosing 1/3 of their resolution). This gives you the pillarboxed image that you need for 16:9 images on a 2.35:1 output AR. Then you can use zoom to make letterboxed (scope) images fill the screen. This is how I had my Lumagen setup with my old 720p projector. When I got my 1080p projector, I set everything up from scratch and decided to go with the 16:9 output AR always. This was something I had experimented with on 720P and I could not see a difference between using a 16:9 output AR and a 2.35:1 output AR. Perhaps I would not see a difference between these two methods even on 1080P - but I decided to forgo the loss of 1/3 horizontal resolution on principal.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I don't use the 2.35:1 output AR or the 2.35:1 input AR.

Isn't that exactly what you said to do in your earlier post?
Quote:

Like I said I've set it up many ways, including stretching the 16:9 input AR. I don't see any difference in any of the ways. I even did the letterbox for a friend last weekend, and we couldn't see any difference on HD material. I only tried the 2.35 aspect ratio because I thought you were recommending it. I'll stick to 1.78 output AR.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-04-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I just offered that way because it is very fast and easy to set up for someone who wants to view a scope movie "now" - you don't have to mess with the TOPL and BTMR. It may be only a theoretical difference and not a practical one anyway....
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page