Choices for MANUAL slide for ISCO 3 lens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I built a slide using a simple heavy slide drawer for the ISCO 3, which worked fine, although it sagged a tiny bit. Cost = almost free since someone gave me the drawer slide...

I'm in the process of moving into a new house and would prefer to use something a bit more sturdy, any good manual slides out there? Maybe some other year I will have a need for a motorized slide, but to be honest, I just reached up and slid the lens in and out with no problem whatsoever...

What manual slide options are there?

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
They are pretty much do it yourself I think most of the commercial ones are electric.

I used TWO drawer glides side by side, heavy duty ball bearing type for my UH380 and it does not sag a bit.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 01:23 PM

Made a slide using an electric actuator from E-Motion

http://www.e-motionllc.com/Default.asp

Working OK so far . Has a pendant control right now and will put a remote on it in the future if it is reliable.
LL
LL
post #4 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 PM

post #5 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Thats the one I used. The only negative so far is the slide material is made from plastic so its hard to know if it will wear OK. So far it is working well.

This was my first stab at a slide and the goal was to build a powered slide as cost effectively as possible. Kind of ridiculous I guess considering the cost of the ISCO III.

But if it works then I saved money to buy a Cary Cinema Video Processor to go with my Cinema 11.

The mount for the actuator provides manual adjustments for azimuth over the PJ lens as well as left/right so that the limit switch on the actuator positions the lens correctly over the PJ lens.

I found when I had the picture centered on the screen in 16:9 and then slid the ISCO III in place I had to adjust the azimuth of the actuator mount to parallel the output of the PJ lens. Now when I go back and forth the picture in 2.35:1 lines up perfecly with the Screen edges.

Two things left to do, 1) Install a limit switch in the left position to limit the travel when not in use and 2) remote control system so I can operate from my MMX 3000.

Tim sells the limit switch kit as well.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhelo View Post

...the goal was to build a powered slide as cost effectively as possible

Chhelo,

Looks like an excellent implementation! I have an RS1, UH380 (in a box) and SMX screen material. Right now, I am projecting the RS1 onto an old Vutec 1.3 in 1.78 80" width (92" diagonal) screen. I will build a curved 120" wide (130" diag.) 2.37 SMX screen. additionally, I have been thinking of using that exact same track actuator from this website:http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...roducts_id=108 .

I have a few questions for you:

1. How stable is it?
2. What kind of bearing is it?
3. How is the remote control working out?
4. Is the displacement smooth?
5. Fabrication details for mount?

TIA,

Mike
post #7 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Lee Valley provides excellent hardware here in Canada, certainly you can find comparable in the U.S. or you could order.

Browse here: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...,43614&p=43616 for examples.

ted
post #8 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just be mighty careful when hanging a $6000 (MSRP) lens from a $20 drawer slide. Get what you pay for applies here in a big way. Be positive the slide is rated for loads in the direction you plan to apply them as well (i.e. flat, etc.). Personally, as a engineer and designer, properly rated linear bearings is the least I'd hang an expensive lens, particularly an Isco from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela8 View Post

Chhelo,

Looks like an excellent implementation! I have an RS1, UH380 (in a box) and SMX screen material. Right now, I am projecting the RS1 onto an old Vutec 1.3 in 1.78 80" width (92" diagonal) screen. I will build a curved 120" wide (130" diag.) 2.37 SMX screen. additionally, I have been thinking of using that exact same track actuator from this website:http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...roducts_id=108 .

I have a few questions for you:

1. How stable is it?
2. What kind of bearing is it?
3. How is the remote control working out?
4. Is the displacement smooth?
5. Fabrication details for mount?

TIA,

Mike

The actuator is rated at 400 lbs and is very stable based on the actuator mount. The sled carrier surrounds the metal frame that encloses the ball screw so there is no failure that could cause the lens to fall off the actuator. The only issue is the fact the carrier is plastic however, its size and the limited amount of cycles that this application requires , should not have a wear issue. The mount for the actuator is made from 1.5 and 2.0 inch schedule 40 pipe and is welded construction. The interface between each section is secured by dual internal wrench set screws.

The pendant remote works fine but will install a remote control system that works with my MX 3000. In operation the tracking is very smooth.

Since I made the mount form scratch I did not make any drawings. Best I could do is detailed pictures. If you are capable of basic fabrication skills most could handle it. As in most DYI designs there are several changes I would make. One, the travel on mine is longer than required to position the lens from in front of the PJ lens. I plan to install an external limit switch to resolve this.

If you need addiitonal info just send me a pm.

Chuck
post #10 of 12 Old 07-27-2007, 05:26 AM

The more I look at your design, the more I like it. PM on the way.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm really only looking for a manual slide... I'm not too happy with the slide drawer method and I'm about to mount the projector this weekend. I'd use the above even if just to reach up and slide it over. You'd think there would be a manual slide somewhere... something other than a slide drawer...

Could I get just the slide mechanism from GetGray's device?
post #12 of 12 Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 PM

[quote=Health Nut]You'd think there would be a manual slide somewhere... something other than a slide drawer...QUOTE]

Health Nut,

Check the DIY sub forum. I found some very interesting web sites on slide type bearings there. If you have trouble PM me and I will send you some of the links I dug up when I get home tonight.

Mike
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page