My scope set up is coming along - Page 8 - AVS Forum
First ... 6  7  8
2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat > My scope set up is coming along
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 10:47 AM 10-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by khellandros66;11996648
[SIZE="1"
View Post

BTW I think the HT is cool too I guess...[/size]

~Bobby

I didn't know AVScience forum had a font that small.

khellandros66's Avatar khellandros66 07:55 PM 10-24-2007


You got mail, at comcast....

~Bobby
LJG's Avatar LJG 02:52 PM 10-30-2007
Art:

Wondering what the depth of the screen wall is (from screen to wall), do you happen to have any pictures you might be able to post of the original construction, lastly hwere there any accoustical requirements?

Thanks
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 03:48 PM 10-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Art:

Wondering what the depth of the screen wall is (from screen to wall), do you happen to have any pictures you might be able to post of the original construction, lastly hwere there any accoustical requirements?

Thanks

The screen wall is two feet from the front wall. There is JM Insulshield covering the front wall the side wall behind the screen wall and ceiling 2" thick.

Art
LJG's Avatar LJG 04:19 PM 10-30-2007
Thanks Art, appreciated
William Seaward's Avatar William Seaward 08:09 AM 11-01-2007
Art,

Did the extra treatment help? I've been considering adding another layer behind my screen as well.
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 08:32 AM 11-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Seaward View Post

Art,

Did the extra treatment help? I've been considering adding another layer behind my screen as well.

Well actually William, when we compared the before and after it didn't make much difference in my room. We did ,however, change other things at the same time including a much larger screen ,smaller screen wall, cut back the width of the towers to accomdate the new wider screen ,etc so tough to say if it made or would have made a difference if the other changes hadn't also been implemented.



Art
LJG's Avatar LJG 06:42 AM 11-05-2007
Art:

Could you possibly share your thoughts on the screens you auditioned before you chose the Stewart Microperf X2, I am sure you considered SMX and Screen research.

Thanks
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 07:37 AM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Art:

Could you possibly share your thoughts on the screens you auditioned before you chose the Stewart Microperf X2, I am sure you considered SMX and Screen research.

Thanks

At the time I made my choice ,SMX wasn't making anything remotely like the Vistascope/ BRIC so despite the fact that I'd seen their screen it was out of the running. I saw pretty bad moire on the SMX using the Pearl at a home theater meet as well.

SR has no gain choices and the Studiotech 130 has Joe Kane's blessing so that meant a lot. The ANSI loss using SR has been documented compared to X2 so was part of the decision mix.

This was my third Stewart screen and they have done me right so them being a known quantity meant a lot.

Art
LJG's Avatar LJG 09:21 AM 11-05-2007
Thanks Art, means a lot
thuway's Avatar thuway 02:00 PM 11-05-2007
Art I'm somewhat curious,

Why did you choose the components that you did. Aside from the ISCO lens (which is by far the best out there)- the projector, the speakers, and the screen (I was wondering why you didn't go high power)?


How do bluray and HD-DVD look on a screen that big? Do you lose any impact or does it come very close if not as close to the theater as possible?

AWESOME theater btw.
SmX's Avatar SmX 03:57 PM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I saw pretty bad moire on the SMX using the Pearl at a home theater meet as well.

Hi Art,

I have a question on this, was this at Cliffs CRT Blendzilla meeting when they were testing the Pearl? If so, his screen wasn't rotated for moiré since he is using CRT.

Ruben
coldmachine's Avatar coldmachine 04:29 PM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuway View Post


(I was wondering why you didn't go high power)?


usualsuspects's Avatar usualsuspects 04:29 PM 11-05-2007
Just a point of reference - The only time I have ever seen moiré on my SMX screen + Pearl combo was during initial setup - the first stretch of the screen material was not tight enough. My material is mounted at about a 15 degree tilt. Images sizes between 120 wide and 67 tall in different AR's.
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 05:07 PM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuway View Post

Art I'm somewhat curious,

Why did you choose the components that you did. Aside from the ISCO lens (which is by far the best out there)- the projector, the speakers, and the screen (I was wondering why you didn't go high power)?


How do bluray and HD-DVD look on a screen that big? Do you lose any impact or does it come very close if not as close to the theater as possible?

AWESOME theater btw.

Going back four years I wanted in walls at the time in my columns,Triad was the best at the time. They are still in place but will likely be one of a couple of things I upgrade in the next year they have performed very well despite being undersized compared to the fronts and subs now that i've upgraded them.

My front channels are Seaton Catalysts which were designed by Mark Seaton for rooms like mine. They have been one of the best audio desicions I've made. My subs are Seaton Submersives. There are four each with two 15" drivers and 1000 watts per speaker. These allow tremendously powerful LFE in my room flat to about 7Hz or 8Hz in room.

I did not choose the high power for several reasons. The first is the narrow viewing cone is unacceptable for my theater,there is no AT alternative,no masking system like the vistascope and last but certainly not least, I get 22fL with the reference Studiotech 130 surface so no need for a high gain screen.

Art
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 05:09 PM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Hi Art,

I have a question on this, was this at Cliffs CRT Blendzilla meeting when they were testing the Pearl? If so, his screen wasn't rotated for moiré since he is using CRT.

Ruben

No it was not but I heard about it later.


Art
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 05:10 PM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

Just a point of reference - The only time I have ever seen moiré on my SMX screen + Pearl combo was during initial setup - the first stretch of the screen material was not tight enough. My material is mounted at about a 15 degree tilt. Images sizes between 120 wide and 67 tall in different AR's.


Good to know that the tilting solves the problem.

Art
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 05:11 PM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post



LOL

Art
zamboniman's Avatar zamboniman 05:20 PM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuway View Post


How do bluray and HD-DVD look on a screen that big? Do you lose any impact or does it come very close if not as close to the theater as possible?

AWESOME theater btw.


Witnessing Art's setup first hand.... I'd go as far as.... It not just close but surpasses any theater I've seen. His "system" (that's really what it is, an integrated complete system room, equipent, execution) is far and away the real stuff top to bottom first rate no compromise.
overclkr's Avatar overclkr 07:43 PM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Hi Art,

I have a question on this, was this at Cliffs CRT Blendzilla meeting when they were testing the Pearl? If so, his screen wasn't rotated for moiré since he is using CRT.

Ruben


Ruben, no Moire from the Pearl at my meet.

I would not have shown it if so.

Cliffy
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 06:24 AM 11-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

Ruben, no Moire from the Pearl at my meet.

I would not have shown it if so.

Cliffy



Art
video_bit_bucket's Avatar video_bit_bucket 10:00 PM 11-06-2007
Art do you have any experience with the Firehawk as opposed to the Studiotech 130? I am really having a hard time selecting a screen. In the quest for the best image the Studiotech 130 would seem to be the choice, but am not clear how tolerate if at all it is of ambient light which would seem to be the only reason not to use the Studiotech 130 as opposed to the Firehawk. Is that your understanding/experience?

Based on what affect (if any) you see from the x2 treatment if I hope some day to go to an AT setup should I go ahead and get that now? Any idea in real impact how much the X2 treatment lowers gain? The Stewart site just says up to 70% brighter than competitors.

I could actually use a Dalite HP for ambient rejection but am concerned over time it will seem to be too much of a compromise, and a waste if I want to later go the AT route.

This will be in front of a Infocus 777 running at 56x134 screen



Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

At the time I made my choice ,SMX wasn't making anything remotely like the Vistascope/ BRIC so despite the fact that I'd seen their screen it was out of the running. I saw pretty bad moire on the SMX using the Pearl at a home theater meet as well.

SR has no gain choices and the Studiotech 130 has Joe Kane's blessing so that meant a lot. The ANSI loss using SR has been documented compared to X2 so was part of the decision mix.

This was my third Stewart screen and they have done me right so them being a known quantity meant a lot.

Art


GetGray's Avatar GetGray 06:03 AM 11-07-2007
I can't speak to the rest, but if you have any ambient issues, I'd recommend against a ST130. It will wash badly if the conditions aren't optimal. It's the standard if you have a dedicated thater (100% light control and no side reflections), but it won't do anything to to help with Ambient. I am a fan of the Firehawk due to it's great flexibility for a lot of installs, particularly with a bright PJ like the 777. Don't know about the MP. HTH
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 07:37 AM 11-07-2007
HP has two problems that made it a non starter for me. The first is no AT and the second is viewing cone limitations.

Art
thebland's Avatar thebland 08:17 AM 11-07-2007
I considered a Firehawk microperf but they could not make in in the 14' wide screen I needed.... So, it was a moot point.
First ... 6  7  8

Up
Mobile  Desktop