Shuffleboard question - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
elmalloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The professional mcclure boards are like 350 lbs and the cabinet is 350 lbs or so. The whole thing is over 700 lbs, it's nuts.

Old, did you adjust yours already? That process seemed to take me hours.

-ELmO

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
elmalloc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Old
Senior Member
 
Old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo36 View Post

Thanks for those pics Old. And for the advice of recruiting more help. Damn nice looking basement play area you have. I see the legs of that Edmore are a pretty close match to your pool table's.

Man, I can't wait. Just a couple more weeks till we're finished with our build. I didn't get the scoring unit. I see yours, but looking back, would you still order it, or not?

Thank you for the compliments.

I think their scoreboard is extremely overpriced, but I personally would still get it b/c I like the look of it, and rather push a button to keep score and have it displayed for all to see, rather than moving the score beads around and having to look down at it to see who is winning.

They sell a smaller electronic unit for much less, but probably still overpriced.

One issue to having the larger scoreboard is it does block your view from looking at the other people across from you. Not sure if that is a big deal or not, but...
Oh, Another issue is, you can't turn it on or off with a switch, I have to unplug it when not in use and plug it back in when playing. Not a huge pain, but I wish there was a switch for it up top.
Good luck with your build and be sure to post some pics

Old
Old is offline  
post #63 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Old
Senior Member
 
Old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

The professional mcclure boards are like 350 lbs and the cabinet is 350 lbs or so. The whole thing is over 700 lbs, it's nuts.

Old, did you adjust yours already? That process seemed to take me hours.

-ELmO

I could've sworn our board was closer to 500lbs!! But I could be wrong. Heck, anything over 300 is heavy...

Yes, I adjusted it already. went with the concave playfield.
It took a bit, but probably only like 30 to 45 minutes or so.

I had a friend up top with a leveler and a piece of paper, and I was below adjusting it. It's quicker with another person for sure.
Old
Old is offline  
post #64 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
 
whiskey > work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: trash can
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it's 500 pounds that's about the limit of my strength (bench press). Lesser men have problems moving such a table, but I'd just be getting warmed up
whiskey > work is offline  
post #65 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Old
Senior Member
 
Old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

If it's 500 pounds that's about the limit of my strength (bench press). Lesser men have problems moving such a table, but I'd just be getting warmed up

You will need much more than Bench press strength to lift this thing onto the cradle. Try, deadlift to clean jerk. You can use the climatic adjusters as the handles.

All jokes aside, you must be built like a brick house!
Old.
Old is offline  
post #66 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Member
 
bravo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Corinth, Texas
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

If it's 500 pounds that's about the limit of my strength (bench press). Lesser men have problems moving such a table, but I'd just be getting warmed up


Are you volunteering?
bravo36 is offline  
post #67 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Member
 
bravo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Corinth, Texas
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old View Post

Thank you for the compliments.

Oh, Another issue is, you can't turn it on or off with a switch, I have to unplug it when not in use and plug it back in when playing. Not a huge pain, but I wish there was a switch for it up top.
Old

How's this for a solution? $14.99


http://www.amazon.com/SVAT-WRC101-Wi...JQ5J2VKY7P52DN
bravo36 is offline  
post #68 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Member
 
albrigsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone comment on the quality of the Gamenamics tables? I get that the McClure, etc. are likely better but Costco has a Gamenamics (12 foot) for a reasonable price which is more what I am looking to spend. My assumption is that it is better than a Playcraft or the $200 Sears tables...
albrigsr is offline  
post #69 of 86 Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
taylor34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old View Post

You will need much more than Bench press strength to lift this thing onto the cradle. Try, deadlift to clean jerk. You can use the climatic adjusters as the handles.

All jokes aside, you must be built like a brick house!
Old.

I had a roommate once who could bench press a ton. Unfortunately though he couldn't lift anything. All his muscle was in his upper arms, which isn't much good for carrying things. You need strong legs, back, hands, and forearms to carry things. I've never been able to bench press squat (like maybe 150 to 200 if I was lucky, and that might be stretching it) but I could lift a full keg over my head. I don't even know what a keg weighs but it isn't light. In any case, bench press weight does not equal actual carrying weight.

Taylor34
taylor34 is offline  
post #70 of 86 Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Old
Senior Member
 
Old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bravo,

I'll look into that. That seems like a good idea.
I checked out HD and saw this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100654950
Looks like an actual wall switch, so I may try this instead. Thanks for the idea.

Hey Taylor,
I agree with you, but most folks that can bench that much should know to work other body parts as well

Hey albrigsr,

I'm no shuffleboard expert, but can you give the specifics of the table you're looking at? Like board material, thickness, finish, cradle, etc? price? or send a link to it. perhaps we can offer more insight on them.
Old.
Old is offline  
post #71 of 86 Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
taylor34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old View Post

Thanks Bravo,

I'll look into that. That seems like a good idea.
I checked out HD and saw this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100654950
Looks like an actual wall switch, so I may try this instead. Thanks for the idea.

Hey Taylor,
I agree with you, but most folks that can bench that much should know to work other body parts as well

Hey albrigsr,

I'm no shuffleboard expert, but can you give the specifics of the table you're looking at? Like board material, thickness, finish, cradle, etc? price? or send a link to it. perhaps we can offer more insight on them.
Old.

You would think that they'd lift other weights, but you'll see a ton of guys at the gym with huge upper arms and chests with little tiny legs. Not everyone, but you'll see that a lot.

And if you want a good laugh, get the guys that only lift upper body weights all the time to play a sport like basketball. I don't know how many times we'd have a guy play with us where I'd say "man, this guy is ripped, he's going to be awesome" only to have them totally suck. No coordination, just raw power.

Taylor34
taylor34 is offline  
post #72 of 86 Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 PM
 
whiskey > work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: trash can
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who wants some in the octagon
whiskey > work is offline  
post #73 of 86 Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Remax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clinton township Michigan
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

I had a roommate once who could bench press a ton. Unfortunately though he couldn't lift anything. All his muscle was in his upper arms, which isn't much good for carrying things. You need strong legs, back, hands, and forearms to carry things. I've never been able to bench press squat (like maybe 150 to 200 if I was lucky, and that might be stretching it) but I could lift a full keg over my head. I don't even know what a keg weighs but it isn't light. In any case, bench press weight does not equal actual carrying weight.

Taylor34

Actually bench press is mostly chest and some triceps depending how you hold the bar. Doesnt matter how big your upper arms are.
Remax is offline  
post #74 of 86 Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Member
 
albrigsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Specs on the Gamenamics Costco Shuffleboard from their website:

- 2” thick play-field with maple wood veneer for durability and long life

- Maple wood veneer play-field has a polymer finish that never requires resurfacing and is the same quality used by the professionals for tournament play

- Top rails and round corners are constructed with solid wood providing a high end look and feel

- Cradle cabinet is made with premium oak veneers providing an exquisite look and durability

- Inner layer of cradle cabinet is lined with premium carpet for professional look and performance

- Square legs are constructed with solid wood for extra strength and durability

- 6” diameter adjustable leg levelers are made with cast metal providing additional stability and an even play-field

- Easy to read and easy to operate electronic overhead scoreboard is visible from both sides with 2 colors (red and green) of 3” LED numbers, provides for accurate two-player scoring

- Overhead scoreboard housing is constructed of wood and supported with a decorative powder coated steel pole providing a long-lasting traditional classic look

- Includes 8 pucks (4-red, 4-blue) and wax powder

- Overall Dimensions: 144”L x 24.5”W x 34”H (without scoreboard) / 78”H with scoreboard
albrigsr is offline  
post #75 of 86 Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Old
Senior Member
 
Old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by albrigsr View Post

Specs on the Gamenamics Costco Shuffleboard from their website:

- 2 thick play-field with maple wood veneer for durability and long life

- Maple wood veneer play-field has a polymer finish that never requires resurfacing and is the same quality used by the professionals for tournament play

- Top rails and round corners are constructed with solid wood providing a high end look and feel

- Cradle cabinet is made with premium oak veneers providing an exquisite look and durability

- Inner layer of cradle cabinet is lined with premium carpet for professional look and performance

- Square legs are constructed with solid wood for extra strength and durability

- 6 diameter adjustable leg levelers are made with cast metal providing additional stability and an even play-field

- Easy to read and easy to operate electronic overhead scoreboard is visible from both sides with 2 colors (red and green) of 3 LED numbers, provides for accurate two-player scoring

- Overhead scoreboard housing is constructed of wood and supported with a decorative powder coated steel pole providing a long-lasting traditional classic look

- Includes 8 pucks (4-red, 4-blue) and wax powder

- Overall Dimensions: 144L x 24.5W x 34H (without scoreboard) / 78H with scoreboard

I'm sure this table will work fine for you. I don't know what the cost is so I don't know if it's a good deal or not.
But my guess is it should be a bit under the $1K range??

Reasons why is:

it's probably a 15" wide play surface, I would prefer a 20" play surface as it gives you more playing options.

the play field is made from wood veneer, I don't know what's inside it, but my guess is MDF board with Maple veneer top. This is the biggest factor on guessing this table cost less than most that use some sort of solid wood construction here.
Veneer is very thin stuff, so...

Polymer coat is a good thing, but keep in mind there are different qualities of polymer top. cheaper qualites can chip on you if you're not careful with it.

Electronic Scoreboard is a nice add on.

Cradle and cab is veneer, which is ok, but that's another reason for lower costing.

But if it looks good for you and plays smooth and level, why not Good luck
Old.
Old is offline  
post #76 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Newbie
 
ShuffleboardsTod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was directed to this site because some of my customers have told me about it. I do not want to sound like we are push our brands or lines of tables. I just want to point out that many of the statements about the GameTronics table are very questionable. Do not believe all that you read. It is easy for factories to make something look like a shuffleboard but to actually manufacture a quality board is not easy. If you can not afford the investment of the McClure line of shuffleboards I would suggest you try the Adroit shuffleboard line of tables for a more affordable solution. One of the most important things about a board is the board itself. If you have a cutting board in your house of wood you can see how it is made. Most economical boards are not made with a true edge glue butcher block design. Also for polymers they have many different qualities and substitute finish process that can look like and pass off as polymer but they are not a poured polymer finish. Any good Polymer will have a lifetime warranty and you would want to make sure the warranty is backed up by a reputable company.

I can say that I had a customer who bought one of these tables from Costco and they got them to come and pick it back up because they could not even keep the pucks on the board as it was not flat. They upgraded to a nice McClure table.

I can also say that Costco approached us 3 years ago about make shuffleboard tables for them. We are a small family run business and would not sell to Costco as we do not think they are a proper fit for market a quality shuffleboard table.

You can also buy a shuffleboard table at Sams club but these are toys and you are going to be disappointed in the quality of the game. You can get a quality board and furniture cabinet from Adroit it may not look as fancy but each of our models are made to give the customer the most value not just look like something more expensive then pass off with as many marketing buzz words to mislead or confuse the consumer. I would have to visit a Costco to inspect this table but I doubt many of the claims. However if you can not tell the difference between a PVC plastic, real wood veneer or solid wood and it looks good for you for the money then buy it. I would suggest you try the table set up at Costco see if the board is flat or warped and I would assume it has no way to adjust the board. So if the pucks do not play properly you can not adjust this to work

Todd McClure
McClure Tables Inc
ShuffleboardsTod is offline  
post #77 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM
 
whiskey > work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: trash can
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
all that and no Mcclure power deal announcement for AVS?
whiskey > work is offline  
post #78 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Newbie
 
ShuffleboardsTod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just call me at 800-565-0977 I will give you a power deal just for AVS users
ShuffleboardsTod is offline  
post #79 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM
 
whiskey > work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: trash can
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sweeeet!

oh and post a link to your website. Doesn't violate forum rules as far as I'm aware. I'd like to see a few tables
edit: forget it, just went and looked myself. Frickin awesome tables man! Don't get much nicer than that.
whiskey > work is offline  
post #80 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Member
 
bravo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Corinth, Texas
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuffleboardsTod View Post

Just call me at 800-565-0977 I will give you a power deal just for AVS users

I can personally vouch for this statement.

If anyone is in the market for a top of the line shuffleboard table, I would highly recommend considering giving Todd McClure a call.

Thanks again Tod.

http://shop.mccluretables.com/main.sc
bravo36 is offline  
post #81 of 86 Old 04-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Newbie
 
ShuffleboardsTod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just an update, McClure Shuffleboards is working on a new site to combine both Adroit and McClure Shuffleboard Tables together under one site. It will be at our main site location for McClure Tables site. I am a new poster so I can not post the URL yet but it is simply McClure Tables com. You can not purchase McClure Tables on this site at the present time but you can emal me or you can visit our other site for or give me a call at 800-565-0977 mention you saw this at AVS and I will give you some special member only prices. My email is mccluretables@yahoo.com
ShuffleboardsTod is offline  
post #82 of 86 Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Newbie
 
ShuffleboardsTod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I am new at this post and a few customers started this thread. My attention was brought to this board from my customers. I really appreciate all the comments and know this board is responsible for at least a couple sales. I recently just shipped a table to DC area from an AVS member and a local retail dealer will do the set up and installation.

Some of you may not know but we make two lines of shuffleboards the Adroit and McClure tables. We have combined both in one site now. We also offer restored Antique Rock-Ola shuffleboards and have a line of Custom made in the USA shuffleboards. Sorry no pictures yet will have some in a few more weeks but all the product for all your shuffleboard needs is now in one location.

I am going to see if this works and I can post a URL in the thread yet. Do not want to spam just that Bravo one of my customers has posted a url that is no longer valid and I want to correct it.

You can visit our new site here at www.McClureTables.com

See all the tables in one site and call me at 800-565-0977 mention you want an AVS special or email me at Todd@McClureTables.com and I will set you up with a special AVS discount

Thanks for all the support as a small business we really appreciate the support and kind comments.
ShuffleboardsTod is offline  
post #83 of 86 Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Member
 
holemania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I've visited AVS for a number of years for good advice on home theater products, but just now came across this shuffleboard thread.

I live in central Michigan and will be relocating with my job to Florida.

I have a 22' Venture Ambassador tournament shuffleboard in my basement that I am looking to sell before our move in about 4 weeks.

This board was bought brand new 5 years ago and has had minimal, personal use...it is in pristine condition!

It sells for over 5k now....I will sell for half-price.

If anyone is interested in more info, pics, etc., please PM or email me.

http://picasaweb.google.com/holemania/Shuffleboard#

Dave
holemania@gmail.com

Dave
holemania is offline  
post #84 of 86 Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Newbie
 
kvroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For everybody looking to get a shuffleboard:
Have you ever heard of the Dutch Shuffleboard?

This is a tabletop shuffleboard of almost 7 feet long. It has 4 slots at the end and 30 pucks to play with. Exciting and addicting game to play.
Easy to install and no huge investment!

I think it is a great solution for everyone who likes the game of shuffle.
See for yourself here: http://www.shuffle4all.com/
kvroom is offline  
post #85 of 86 Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Member
 
dlclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.mccluretables.com/blog/index.php/shuffleboard-tournament-hopes-to-raise-money-for-hospice-of-michigan-2/

We ordered a table from Mr. McClure. He lost his daughter due to cancer a few years ago and is giving a great deal on tournament built tables if you give a $500 donation to Hospice of MI. If anyone is looking for a great deal on a 22' table, now is a great time to contact him. We are buying this for our son who is 5 and beat Leukemia. We have three sons and they love to play shuffleboard and are looking forward to our new toy and the bowling kit for the table. Just wanted to share in case anyone is in the market for a new table.
dlclark is offline  
post #86 of 86 Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Member
 
Jdgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ames IA
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlclark View Post

http://www.mccluretables.com/blog/index.php/shuffleboard-tournament-hopes-to-raise-money-for-hospice-of-michigan-2/

We ordered a table from Mr. McClure. He lost his daughter due to cancer a few years ago and is giving a great deal on tournament built tables if you give a $500 donation to Hospice of MI. If anyone is looking for a great deal on a 22' table, now is a great time to contact him. We are buying this for our son who is 5 and beat Leukemia. We have three sons and they love to play shuffleboard and are looking forward to our new toy and the bowling kit for the table. Just wanted to share in case anyone is in the market for a new table.

I was only able to fit a 14ft table from McClure table in my room, you will love the 22ft. The table is awsome, but more importantly the customer service that Todd provides is even better. Considering the high quality of the table, that is a pretty big accomplishment.

Jdgate is offline  
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off