AVS Forum banner

best video output for MAME?

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Cameron 
#1 ·
I've been messing around with MAME a bit lately, and was wondering if there was a specific video card or anything, in terms of getting the best video output from MAME. The way I understand it, is that the old Arcade machines had analog RGB monitors in them. Basically a 15Khz analog RGB video signal. Obviously, the output from a PC is dramatically different. I was wondering if anybody created a video card specifically for MAME to try to simulate the true analog RGB output. I'm not sure if that is even possible, but I figured with MAME, somebody has tried to get it to work.

Other than that, are there any other specific settings or anything that people recommend? I was thinking of hooking my MAME pc up to my projector, but my projector is a 16:9 High Def projector, and I'm sure I would like the look of it in 16:9. hmmm.

#2 ·
Have you played with mame much? I recall it having "scanlines" output, etc. that most video cards seem to support?

#3 ·
Check out the ArcadeVGA card at www.ultimarc.com

This is the best for hooking up a real arcade monitor. Used with their PC to Jamma card, it is a really easy conversion if you have a JAMMA cab.

#5 ·
no problem. The mame scanlines output doesn't look that great to me. I do love how mame looks on a real arcade monitor though.

As with everything though, it is harder to do the setup etc. with these older standard resolution CRTs.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/14191160

I've been messing around with MAME a bit lately, and was wondering if there was a specific video card or anything, in terms of getting the best video output from MAME. The way I understand it, is that the old Arcade machines had analog RGB monitors in them. Basically a 15Khz analog RGB video signal. Obviously, the output from a PC is dramatically different. I was wondering if anybody created a video card specifically for MAME to try to simulate the true analog RGB output. I'm not sure if that is even possible, but I figured with MAME, somebody has tried to get it to work.

Other than that, are there any other specific settings or anything that people recommend? I was thinking of hooking my MAME pc up to my projector, but my projector is a 16:9 High Def projector, and I'm sure I would like the look of it in 16:9. hmmm.

What about this guy:
http://www.zektor.com/ZVG.html

#7 ·
That ZVG is pretty awesome. The big trick is getting a Vector monitor to go with it.

If I ever run across a good big color vector monitor, I will totally be getting one of those.

#9 ·
I want one badly. Just need the monitor. If I could find a good big one for the right price, I would go for it.

#10 ·
I have a 25" cga monitor, but have know idea how to hook it up to my pc video card. What kind of adapter do I need? The monitor cable at doesn't look like anything I could hook up to my video card.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.