Buying a brand new pinball game: a good idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah it's all subjective. But I don't want the headaches of an older game. Are the newer pinball tables built to last a bit more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Gerat question..meanwhile I am getting williams pinball on Wii!

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #3 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

well, I'm thinking of buying one top notch table to last my lifetime. The new Dark Knight table looks insane! Of course it's 4500. Just don't want it to break I guess
post #4 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

New is not necessarily better. Commercial coin op pinball machines are built for reliable and low maintenance operation regardless of when they were made.

Dark Knight?? Drop a bunch of quarters and learn the game and whether or not it is just Batman hype or a well designed and fun for years pin game.

New doesn't have much to do with how reliable or how much fun a game will be over time. True "keepers" are far and few between.

My bride and I have bought, enjoyed, sold or traded about 150 pin games since we bought our first one in 1975.

Once a pin game is in good working order and has been set up in home use it can go for years and years without a failure or problem. Following is our personal experience with the different types of games.

Electro-Mechanical (no CPU - only wired logic) We've owned more of these than any other type and still have one - Old Chicago - we started playing it in a tavern early in our marriage in 1976 - bought one for home use over 20 years ago and over that time I have had to do very little except replacement of light bulbs and worn rubber rings and after thousands of games it has been extremely reliable.

Solid State - Began appearing in the late 70s and are extremely reliable and made for hard use - Bally or Williams or Gottlieb. We still have 5 Ballys - Eight Ball, Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, Centaur and Star Trek - all continue to work and are fun to play and we have owned them for 15 to 20 years - One Williams - F-14 Tomcat - had it for about 14 years and it is a killer game - we have beaten this game to death and only maintenance so far has been to replace worn rubber rings and light bulbs.

Digital Games - We now own three - Twilight Zone, No Good Gofers and Fish Tales. All three made in the 1990s and all three work perfectly and I expect them to last for years.

OKAY - here is the thing about pinball games. They are complicated machines that are CPU driven with multiple circuit boards and complicated wiring and a lot of transistors, micro switches, coils, digital displays and other stuff that can fail.

Buying a new one from a dealer that will provide in home warranty work might give you piece of mind.

You should know that the new ones don't play much differently or better or more reliably than games from the 1990s and some from the 1980s.

HOWEVER, game components will fail and it's very helpful if you can do a bit of electronic tinkering and know how to use a multi-meter, read a schematic and use a soldering iron. Example - other day a coil shorted in our EBDeluxe which cause a transistor to "fry" on the Solenoid Driver Circuit Board. No big deal - I replaced the shorted coil and the associated transistor and all is okay again - BUT - if I had to pay some "tech" to do that repair it would have probably cost two or three hundred dollars - or more.

What should you buy? Do your homework. Go and play the game - don't worry so much about new but how much fun the game is to play and what kind of condition it's in. Learn how to inspect a game and to use game test functions to run diagnostic tests for coils, switches, switch edges and lamps.

Play, play, play it and make sure it is fun and a challenge before you buy it. New isn't important - I'd rather have our 1993 Bally Twilight Zone that most any of the new pin games I have seen. Remember that you can buy two or even three KILLER pin games for the price or a new one.

I rattled on a bit - hope it is helpful.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The new Sterns are built well. I pretty much agree with what has been said above. If you like the new Batman theme and pin layout, get it! Like imjay says above, if you get an older machine in nice condition, it will last a long time too. The older the solid state ones get, the more they have possibility for problems though. My Twilight Zone has been reconditioned to like new condition and it is just as reliable as the LOTR pin I bought NIB last year.

Another interesting option for no maintenance pinball is the Ultrapin by GlobalVR. It is a very cool digital pin. They only made 200 of them and one of the former developer's has been converting tons of VP games over to its format. I have one on the way for me right now.

I will sneak it in with the other 11 pins I have.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #6 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Liked: 11
Newer Sterns are pretty reliable. I have owned:
Lord of the Rings
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Sopranos
World Poker Tour
Family Guy

I've not had any issues with any of them. And other than WPT they were all route games. I like to work on my pins. I tear them down to the wood and perform my own board work. Have not had to do that with the Stern pins.

If you plan on keeping the machine for a long while go ahead and buy a new in box. If, you are like me and get bored of games quickly, do not buy a new machine. As soon as you buy it, it depreciates by about $1000. In that case, you can wait a few months and buy a used one.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Just Opinion - unless you are into video gaming DO NOT consider Ultra Pin "virtual" pinball video arcade games - simply put - It Ain't Pinball.

You can buy new Ultra Pins even at Sams Club online - it will be a sad day when people play these things saying they are playing pinball though you may think it's okay if you are say under 25 years of age and can be forgiven for not knowing any better. LOL and it's all just opinion but in my humble opinion after seeing an Ultra Pin - It Ain't Pinball!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hi, I got into pinballs just about three years ago. I got my first pins off eBay and it turned out that the seller had a shady selling history. The pins Creature From The Black Lagoon and Congo needed work. The first time I raised up a pinball playfield, I was like whoa nelly! There is a lot of wires and things under here. Since then I've learned some good stuff about replacing parts and shopping a game. I'm not intimidated anymore and I really like playing pinball games. Since then I've have had a Monster Bash, another CFTBL a new in box Stern Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Tales From The Crypt, Twilight Zone and a Whodunnit? I only have room for one so I have been wheeling and dealing them in and out. For me, pinball games are the ultimate sight and sound toys. It's the artwork, colorful lights, sound and inventive game play that draws me.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Ultrapin is a different concept. Digital pinball simulation. Being a pinball collector, I was quite sceptical about how good it would be, but having played one, I am excited to have it in addition to my 11 other real pins. It has a much improved physics engine over the current Visual pinball and Future pinball applications and a few other nice features.

It isn't for everybody, but for me it is very very cool. We are working on porting a lot of excellent tables to the Ultrapin. Right now we have over 150 pinball machines emulated.

I would say for your 1st real pinball, get one that is in good condition. Get into the projects once you are more familiar with how they work.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page