X-Arcade Tankstik - Opinions or Reviews Wanted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I'm thinking about starting my first MAME project and what scares me the most is the controller. I can't sodder so I need a ready made product. I want something simple but also very functional. The Slik Stick is very pricey and I believe unobtainable at the moment. I've been looking at the X-Arcade Tankstik and like what I see. I'd like to see if anyone can give me their opinions or reviews of this controller. Also, will it work with any cabinet plan or does it take special plans. I'll probably build the cabinet myself.

This will be used for MAME and all the old game system emulations. Also, if anyone has any thoughts or opinions about ordering from the X-Arcade website, please share that also. Currently this controller is $199 with free shipping.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
i've heard xarcade's stuff is crap...though it looks nice to me, I haven't used it.

Such as the 4 way sensitivity is bad, so it's hard to play games like pacman (the stick is 8 way).

Current Projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #3 of 44 Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 PM

I've heard from a friend who has a friend who his brother knows from his friend's friend at work, who doesn't work there anymore, but knows a guy who dreamed about having one that saw his friend playing one, but left before getting a chance to hear from him on what he thought about it.

"Welcome to the party pal!"
post #4 of 44 Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel like my post contributed more than yours, though.

Current Projects:

post #5 of 44 Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Yes elmalloc. Like an "eyewitness" to a crime as he was standing around the corner as it happened.

"Welcome to the party pal!"
post #6 of 44 Old 08-19-2008, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Still better than yours. But you're used to that.

Current Projects:

post #7 of 44 Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkcpa View Post

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about starting my first MAME project and what scares me the most is the controller. I can't sodder so I need a ready made product. I want something simple but also very functional. The Slik Stick is very pricey and I believe unobtainable at the moment. I've been looking at the X-Arcade Tankstik and like what I see. I'd like to see if anyone can give me their opinions or reviews of this controller. Also, will it work with any cabinet plan or does it take special plans. I'll probably build the cabinet myself.

This will be used for MAME and all the old game system emulations. Also, if anyone has any thoughts or opinions about ordering from the X-Arcade website, please share that also. Currently this controller is $199 with free shipping.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Jeff

You don't need to solder to work with the individual buttons, joysticks, and emulator. The wiring kits come with crimp on connectors and a crimper. My 10 year old help me wire up mine.
post #8 of 44 Old 08-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

If the Slick Stik is out of your price range then the X-Arcade is a good choice. The track ball is a great addition to the X-Arcade. As someone has said allready the 4 way games will be tough to play with an 8 way joystick but you could easally adjust the settings in MAME to compensate. Buy it and start building.

Check out the Bat-Cade:

post #9 of 44 Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't get the Slick Stik now. There are a bunch of people that have sent in money and it looks like they are shutting down. Hosing the prebuy people over.

I bought a Slik Stik years ago. It was really nice. I will have to say that they really sucked in the customer service dept. though.

The X-Arcade controllers are actually really great. Plus it is pretty easy to replace parts in them with Happ ones if you want to. A year ago they had had a clearance of a two player control panel with the trackball for $99.00. I couldn't resist. Right now I am working on attaching that to my latest MAME machine.

So far it has been great. I don't plan on switching out anything on it. The difference between its joysticks and buttons and the happ ones are pretty small IMHO.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #10 of 44 Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Use this as the control panel base for you machine

http://www.mameroom.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=TANKBASE

Check out the Bat-Cade:

post #11 of 44 Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm getting geared up for a build myself. Like you, the controls appear intimidating to me, but I see how it is done and it seems you just have to take your time with it. I would rather buy the controls all made rather than have to use a router, contact paper, etc.
post #12 of 44 Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meany View Post

Use this as the control panel base for you machine

http://www.mameroom.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=TANKBASE

link is busted by the way. Would love to see it
post #13 of 44 Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all (or at least most) of the replies. I'm still confused but a little less foggy than before. How does the cost compare with buying a ready made controller versus buying all the pieces and putting it together yourself?

After the 4 way vs 8 way issue was mentioned, I did some further reading on it. I'm surprised X-Arcade hasn't released something to fix this. I'd hate the thought of having to open the controller and make a hardware change each time I went from Pac Man to Street Fighter. I'd think the easiest way would be to add a 4 way stick somewhere above the trackball. Maybe that's something I could do myself, I'm not sure.

Thanks again for the help!

Jeff
post #14 of 44 Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 PM

ok link works here at home. That's actually a really good price
edit: no, not a good deal, it's only the wood.
post #15 of 44 Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The X-Arcade controls are a very great price. It would be very hard to beat their price once you bought all the parts and the wood for your own control panel.

With that said, there are some interesting joystick variations out there.
Check out:
www.ultimarc.com
and
www.groovygamegear.com

They both have some interesting joystick solutions.

post #16 of 44 Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

The X-Arcade controls are a very great price. It would be very hard to beat their price once you bought all the parts and the wood for your own control panel.

With that said, there are some interesting joystick variations out there.
Check out:
www.ultimarc.com
and
www.groovygamegear.com

They both have some interesting joystick solutions.

Oh, so this is the thing that HOLDS the arcade controller in the arcade. I was confused as to what I was looking at
Hey, in look at the quad stick in OP's original link for 700 bucks. Now THAT's a stick!
post #17 of 44 Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Had a friend with a slikstik quad. It was pretty cool. The thing was super huge.
They had a good product.

It was fun to play 4 player gauntlet.

post #18 of 44 Old 08-23-2008, 07:02 PM

I heard slikstik went belly up. I want to buy one and make a mame setup
post #19 of 44 Old 08-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Santa brought us a Tankstick a couple of Christmas's ago, and I use it for MAME, DAPHNE (Dragon's Lair emulator), and Visual Pinball. I'll be ordering an X-Arcade machine in the near future and it will integrate perfectly. Regarding 8 way sticks...I seem to play the 4 way games fine...but I was a pretty good gamer back in the 80's.
post #20 of 44 Old 08-24-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

read up on x-arcade before purchasing, i wanted one as badly as you before I read.

Current Projects:

post #21 of 44 Old 08-24-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

I heard slikstik went belly up. I want to buy one and make a mame setup

Every once in a while a nice used slikstik shows up on ebay or over at BYOAC.

post #22 of 44 Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

read up on x-arcade before purchasing, i wanted one as badly as you before I read.

I'm pretty picky about quality having built several nice control panels, owning a Slik Stick and having a X-Arcade control panel. The X-Arcade is really close to the happ stuff.

post #23 of 44 Old 08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I am picky too, that's why I don't have one - the happ stuff is superior, if it's only close - I think you will still find people say it's better...

Current Projects:

post #24 of 44 Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it is better. When I had the X-Arcade and the slikstik running at the same time, none of the people that came over could tell the difference. Some guys that came over that played a lot back then didn't really care when I pointed it out.

post #25 of 44 Old 08-25-2008, 08:03 AM

I have the x-arcade bundle and an ipac
and their is no soldering at all. Crimp on wire ends for the button and stick side and screws for the ipac side. You can save a little money but you have to build the control panel. If you go with the prebuilt the price isn't much more and you have no work to do really.
Also I can say I haven't had any problems with my buttons or sticks.

post #26 of 44 Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As for wiring, all you need is a nice crimper like this one:

it will turn anyone into a pro at least than $25 at either HD or Lowes.

With either the Ipac or Keywiz, they have screw in plugs that you just plug wires into and screw tight. On the other end, just use the crimper to crimp the quick-connect, then plug into the joystick or button.

As for any X-Arcade, they are very decent. The button and sticks don't see as great as Happ or some of the other brand, but again they are not bad at all. Compare to all the crap that they try to see to you on the console, the X-Arcade is seem to be heavenly. What I have told people is buy it as they 1st stick and as they feel they know what to improve, move on. Some have just changed out the buttons and sticks and called it perfect. Others have gone as far as junk the box and button and take the interface and build a new panel and buttons.

Most that complaint X-Arcade as junk are the same that expect perfection. Without X-Arcade, a lot of use would not even have started our own mame cabinet. I too started with the 2 player X-arcade, them move on to build my own control panel using Happ and Keywiz.

If you can cut a few pieces of wood, crimp some wires, you can also build control panel. the hard part is trying.. check byoac if you don't believe me.

And if you like cheating like me, find empty cabinet and re-use them. That way you don't have to rebuilt or start at the beginning.

Here's one of mind from ms pacman to mame:

Wiring is not hard at all.

LL
LL
LL

post #27 of 44 Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Cheater!

Current Projects:

post #28 of 44 Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just another option. There are a lot of custom stick builders on www.shoryuken.com that can probably make a custom stick for a MAME cabinet. They'll also use genuine Happ, Sanwa and Seimetsu parts.

I bought a custom Sanwa arcade for the Xbox360 from www.arcadeinabox.com and it's a great stick. I know the owner Ed used to make MAME cabinets, etc. You can try sending him an email.
post #29 of 44 Old 08-27-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Starting with a used cabinet is a really good idea. I have done it both ways. Much easier and you can still have some really good results with the prebuilt.

post #30 of 44 Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Starting with a used cabinet is a really good idea. I have done it both ways. Much easier and you can still have some really good results with the prebuilt.

it does make sense. You just gut the thing out get the controls and you're done. I'm leaning this way myself
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page