Built in Kegerator Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. Just looking for some built in refridgeration recommendations for my basement project.

I plan to put in a fridge and a kegerator that will have the tap mounted on the granite bar top. I would also like to be able to use the kegerator as a fridge most of the time.

I would also like any other appliance recommendations that you think a basement bar should consider.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I recommend you go to a commercial keg box vendor and buy a two or three keg box which all have plenty of room for fridge items.

We never bought a keg box knowing we would drink way too much brew.

Good friend of ours had a 3 keg sized commercial unit installed in his home game and media room. Media Room element a very nice 63in TV and Game Room element a pool table and nice pin game. He always keeps 3 full kegs on tap allowing his favorite dark draft, K.Red and a publically popular brand.

WOW - always nice to visit this guy's house. These draft boxes can be their own commercially attractive stainless top or they can reside beneath a decorative bar top with holes drilled for the tap handles and etc.

Go with a commercial keg box and then develop a relationship with your local beer distributor so they will make an exception to their normal business practices and deliver kegs to your house. That's what our friend did and it was quite helpful to have the driver use his pro dolly to take those kegs upstairs to his fun room. Plus, those commercial boxes are very well made and will last forever.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-25-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Doubt I would have room for a keg box but I like the though

My searching keeps bring up Summit appliances for use under counter. Is this the recommended brand?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM

I don't know how much room you have but I bought a commercial kegerator that will hold 2 half barrels. I just have one on the go at a time (for now) and I have lots of room to use as a fridge. The dimensions are 36" high, 23" deep and 48" wide.

Eric

The Hopo Rec Centre
post #5 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up ordering a summit freezer/fridge and a summit duel tap kegerator for installation under counter. I have heard some beers/kegs may need different tap connections.

I ordered a Cleveland Browns (my home team) tap handle for one of the taps. I may just get an Indians one for the other vice trying to collect a bunch for different beers. They are not cheap, $40 new, though I am sure used tap handles could be found for much cheaper. I also got a smaller Browns neon sign which should look nice.

Anyone think of any other esentials or just nice to have items for a home bar. I am going for a more pub style feel with it. Though I will have two small LCDs wall mounted on both sides of the bar.

My daughter is one, so I will not be worried about her getting into anything for a bit.

post #6 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 01:49 PM

jesus, 3 kegs on tap at the home.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
naxos i hat ethe cleveland browns

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #8 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

naxos i hat ethe cleveland browns

Your from Burnswick what is not to love.

I am from Cleveland/Strongsville orginally. The Browns are my cross to bear, I would wish this burden on no man.

The reason I went built-ins is that it will be a small bar. If I had room a keg box sounds pretty nice. I would never have the need though.

post #9 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 05:04 AM

Here is a link to an excellent source to set up and run your Kegerator with plenty of FAQ and solutions to some problems you will encounter along the way. Enjoy & happy drinking.

http://www.micromatic.com/Forum/us-en/

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #10 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

Here is a link to an excellent source to set up and run your Kegerator with plenty of FAQ and solutions to some problems you will encounter along the way. Enjoy & happy drinking.

http://www.micromatic.com/Forum/us-en/

Hmm where did you ever find that place

kegworks.com has pretty much everything for a home bar. I did a pub style bar build in my media room that you can check out to get a few ideas by clicking on the dingers at the bottom of my post

Check out
post #11 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links LSWHO & Dinger.

Dinger - I like the wood work you did. Looks very nice. I plan on doing something similar but just around my small bar.

I had started a thread with my layout and some construction pictures in the general basement,theater, gameroom forum, if you wanted to take a look.

So far so good.

post #12 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 AM

How many drunk bastards would it take to drain 3 full kegs at a superbowl party?
post #13 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

How many drunk bastards would it take to drain 3 full kegs at a superbowl party?

Depends on the type of beer and how close the bathroom is ...

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #14 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

The bar is coming along now. I can almost taste the beer.

post #15 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
there is plenty of room there to put an elbow and a beer

Randy

post #16 of 20 Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

Depends on the type of beer and how close the bathroom is ...

Bud light and the bathroom is right there. I'm thinking 30 guys could wipe those out in a weekend but I may be wrong
post #17 of 20 Old 12-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

Bud light and the bathroom is right there. I'm thinking 30 guys could wipe those out in a weekend but I may be wrong

That would be about 16 beers each

Check out
post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 AM

Liked: 12
One thing you might consider is 5 gallon kegs. I have a kegarator that will hold 5 of the 5 gallon kegs which are about 2 1/2 cases of beer each. You can find a lot of beers in the 5 gallon kegs and if you have any brewpubs close you can certainly find a lot of their beers packaged this way.

Mike
post #19 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartenhagen View Post

One thing you might consider is 5 gallon kegs. I have a kegarator that will hold 5 of the 5 gallon kegs which are about 2 1/2 cases of beer each. You can find a lot of beers in the 5 gallon kegs and if you have any brewpubs close you can certainly find a lot of their beers packaged this way.

Mike

Sounds about right. The one I ordered has a two tap kit with it but it would probably fit 3 1/6 slim kegs.

post #20 of 20 Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 PM

I'm working on a home theater/wetbar area for the basement. I'm also looking for a good kegerator, but I'm on a budget and probably can't pay more than $500. Seems like models in that range are all freestanding. Is there a reason why under counter kegerators seem to be two- to three-times more?

Also, my understanding was that it's best to build a wetbar after the flooring is in. Am I wrong about that? If so, I need to get moving, because the drywall's going in now.
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page