What kind of beverage center did you use? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 163 Old 02-28-2009, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased from Home Depot a wine cooler/beverage center for $349. It is made by Franklin Industries and the model # is HDBC 361D. Very cool looking with 2 triple glass doors. Stainless and glass. They were $545 at HD a few mos ago and are $699-$999 on line ($999 at Amazon). Two separate zones and it says it goes down to 36 degrees and I verified last night with a thermometer that it does go that low.

HD's brand is called Everlast but you can go to Franklin Industries on line to see this unit. It looks identical to their outdoor units which are around $1200. They are on close out now so it may be a bit difficult to locate one. 2 of the 5 HDs had 1 left each in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 163 Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvjs View Post

I just purchased from Home Depot a wine cooler/beverage center for $349. It is made by Franklin Industries and the model # is HDBC 361D. Very cool looking with 2 triple glass doors. Stainless and glass. They were $545 at HD a few mos ago and are $699-$999 on line ($999 at Amazon). Two separate zones and it says it goes down to 36 degrees and I verified last night with a thermometer that it does go that low.

HD's brand is called Everlast but you can go to Franklin Industries on line to see this unit. It looks identical to their outdoor units which are around $1200. They are on close out now so it may be a bit difficult to locate one. 2 of the 5 HDs had 1 left each in my area.

Do you have pics? Or a link? Or maybe a HD part #? Anything.... Sounds sweet

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #63 of 163 Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 PM

The unit is not on the HD on line site.

The identical unit can be seen at Franklinchef.com Go to wine cellars/coolers and scroll down to the FBC 361D. The HD model # is HDBC 361D.

It seems to have the quality and the ability to cool lower than 42 like the $1500 units.
post #64 of 163 Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 PM

compactappliance.com also has the Franklin units at their site. Their outdoor units look identical to the HD bev center/winerack. What I like about it is that it has 2 separate and distinct sides with the ability to set 2 different temps.

An important thing to remember with any beverage center is that if you transport it and it is not sitting upright during transport, it is imperative that you do not plug the unit in for at least 24 hrs.
post #65 of 163 Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found that one of my semi local HD's has 2 in stock so I am off to get one.......will post more to follow later w/pics.

post #66 of 163 Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I got there and got the last one besides the display model. For $347 before tax I think this is a steal of a deal, I can only hope that it cools low enough for my liking. This thing is great looking and the extra shelves make the interior layout perfect as you can make any configurations of beverage or wine storage that you want. Here's a pic of it, I also posted these in my build thread. Much thanks to "bjvjs" for the heads up on this deal!!!

post #67 of 163 Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 AM

For the people that have the above vault from HD. Just to guesstimate, how many bottles of beer would that hold. Not a fan of cans, and kegs are out as it is really only my wife and I that drink here. Would only need a shelf for a couple of wine bottles.

I located one at the HD a few miles from my house and wanted to ask before I pulled the trigger. Thanks.
post #68 of 163 Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggie View Post

For the people that have the above vault from HD. Just to guesstimate, how many bottles of beer would that hold. Not a fan of cans, and kegs are out as it is really only my wife and I that drink here. Would only need a shelf for a couple of wine bottles.

I located one at the HD a few miles from my house and wanted to ask before I pulled the trigger. Thanks.

Not sure as I havent put anything in mine yet. But the manual says: "It can hold up to 18 standard bottles of wine in one compartment while storing up to 45 12-oz cans or bottles on the other. It can easily be converted into an al wine cellar or all beverage center or a combination of both storing up to 36 wine bottles or 90 cans." Not sure if it helps but its all I got but if its just you and the wife then I would say this is plenty big enough as you could always restock once in a while.

post #69 of 163 Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Not sure as I havent put anything in mine yet. But the manual says: "It can hold up to 18 standard bottles of wine in one compartment while storing up to 45 12-oz cans or bottles on the other. It can easily be converted into an al wine cellar or all beverage center or a combination of both storing up to 36 wine bottles or 90 cans." Not sure if it helps but its all I got but if its just you and the wife then I would say this is plenty big enough as you could always restock once in a while.

Thats what I am thinking as well (Restocking) which isn't that big of an issue as we usually like to keep at least a 12 pack cold in our current fridge and rotate out. However it has been cold enough to have them in our garage at the moment.

I think I'll pull the trigger and head over to HD. They have it on hold right for me right now. Worst case, wife will have to get used to cans. LOL.

Thanks for the reply. I think it'll be the best route to go (for the price)
post #70 of 163 Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats what I am thinking as well (Restocking) which isn't that big of an issue as we usually like to keep at least a 12 pack cold in our current fridge and rotate out. However it has been cold enough to have them in our garage at the moment.

I think I'll pull the trigger and head over to HD. They have it on hold right for me right now. Worst case, wife will have to get used to cans. LOL.

Thanks for the reply. I think it'll be the best route to go (for the price)

I Agree as well. I prefer bottles as most do and I think that you could easily get atleast a case of them maybe 2 and a few wine bottles. But I havent tried so dont quote me. Let me know when you stock it what the space is like as I havent had the time to do anything with mine except plug it in as I am working on the basement. And for the price there is no way you could go wrong as this thing is $799 and higher every place I looked online and for $347 you CANT go wrong as this thing is a beauty IMO.

post #71 of 163 Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Well, I went over there and looked at the display model. It looked as if it fell off the shelf and they put it back together. Bad interpretation, but it looked rough. So, not to have me waste my hour drive over there. I picked up:

It came with glass shelves and seems that it may fit the bill. Kind of disappointed that the floor model looked that rough, but I picked this up for the same price. Thanks for the help.
post #72 of 163 Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM

staggie,

Let me know what you think of that model ( i assume thats the magic chef one at HD). I am planning on getting it but the reviews have been mixed. Hpefully it gets plenty cold

K
post #73 of 163 Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupermanp View Post

staggie,

Let me know what you think of that model ( i assume thats the magic chef one at HD). I am planning on getting it but the reviews have been mixed. Hpefully it gets plenty cold

K

I have heard alot of the same on the reviews as far as the unit getting cold enough.

post #74 of 163 Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 AM

It is the Magic Chef one. As far as getting cold enough, it seems to be cold enough for me. But this is a person that lived in Germany for 5 years and was able to drink warm beer. I had it semi stocked with 1 /12 cases of canned soda, and 3 1/2 cases of beer (Mixed 12 and 16 oz bottles). I don't have a thermometer here, so I can't give you an exact reading. Will it have drinks at 32 degrees? No, but it does chill the beers to make them enjoyable. The lowest setting is 39 degrees, which is okay with me being my main fridge is set at 38 (Could go lower, just keep it there). I was upset that the fridge I went to look at look busted, so this was the second option. For the price, it was worth it in my eyes. However, the same fridge is $349 online.. If you can get some form of free shipping, I would go that route.
post #75 of 163 Old 03-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:

It is the Magic Chef one. As far as getting cold enough, it seems to be cold enough for me. But this is a person that lived in Germany for 5 years and was able to drink warm beer. I had it semi stocked with 1 /12 cases of canned soda, and 3 1/2 cases of beer (Mixed 12 and 16 oz bottles). I don't have a thermometer here, so I can't give you an exact reading. Will it have drinks at 32 degrees? No, but it does chill the beers to make them enjoyable. The lowest setting is 39 degrees, which is okay with me being my main fridge is set at 38 (Could go lower, just keep it there). I was upset that the fridge I went to look at look busted, so this was the second option. For the price, it was worth it in my eyes. However, the same fridge is $349 online.. If you can get some form of free shipping, I would go that route.

Thanks. Can you fire one of those soda fridge packs in it or do you have to put the cans in individually?

K
post #76 of 163 Old 03-15-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I went over there and looked at the display model. It looked as if it fell off the shelf and they put it back together. Bad interpretation, but it looked rough. So, not to have me waste my hour drive over there. I picked up:

It came with glass shelves and seems that it may fit the bill. Kind of disappointed that the floor model looked that rough, but I picked this up for the same price. Thanks for the help.

I saw that one on clear out as well. I'm thinking of upgrading, but only if I can get a killer deal. I'm still happy with my cheap one (shown on the first page). But the unit they had on clear out at HD was beat up pretty good on the outside (especially the top). But where I put my unit the only thing you see is the door which is fine. So if they keep lowering it, I might bite.

BTW, my unit will easily hold over 2 cases of bottles on two shelves (tho I had to add a piece of Plexiglas's or the wire shelf would bow). In addition to 2+ cases of bottles, but will hold a dozen+ pub cans (I keep Guinness and Old Speckled Hen) on the bottom.

As mentioned previously the unit I use isn't designed to go to freezing. But it easily get to the lower-mid 40's. Which is plenty cold for good beers which should not be enjoyed ice cold. I also have to "defrost" it on occasion (couple times a year) as the back wall will freeze up. This unit is not a built in unit and even tho I have an inch or two around it, I'm afraid it might not be getting enough circulation.

Around the corner in the garage I also have a full size figerator I picked up at a garage sale for $75. I keep clear beer there, also with wife's wine coolers, cokes, and other items that "need" to be kept ice cold. I can also load it up with extra beer during parties and such.
post #77 of 163 Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupermanp View Post

Thanks. Can you fire one of those soda fridge packs in it or do you have to put the cans in individually?

K

Hmm, Never tried. Here in PA we go to Beer and Soda Distributors. I usually buy my canned soda by the case and rarely by the fridge packs. How long are the fridge packs? The depth of the fridge to the back is 17 1/2" (That is to the front edge of the shelf.
post #78 of 163 Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM

That should be enough. A fridge pack is about 16" long

K
post #79 of 163 Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM

I have the magic chef and took out one shelf so I have two shelves with bottles and Guinness Pint Cans. I then put one shelf on the highest point and for the fridge pack soda packs and they fit like a glove. I have not stocked it fully and keeps everything cold but not "ice cold". I set the temp to the lowest 39 but it usually stays at 42. Good for beer, I drink IPA's and Guinness and the soda.
post #80 of 163 Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You know I have been saying that my beverage center won't get cold enough for some. However, my buddy has been in town and his standard beer is Coors Light. And their bottles got those funky color changing mountains on them. You know when they turn to blue or something the beer is ready to drink. My little frig gets them to change colors pretty quickly. No not as quick as the big frig out in the garage, but it does it. I don't know exactly what temp those are supposed to turn...but it does do it.
post #81 of 163 Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Well I got there and got the last one besides the display model. For $347 before tax I think this is a steal of a deal, I can only hope that it cools low enough for my liking. This thing is great looking and the extra shelves make the interior layout perfect as you can make any configurations of beverage or wine storage that you want. Here's a pic of it, I also posted these in my build thread. Much thanks to "bjvjs" for the heads up on this deal!!!

I bought one of these from Home Depot and I'm sorry to say it was junk. I was very disappointed too because it was a good price and exactly what we were looking for.

But when it ran it was so loud that it was disturbing to be around. It blew out a tremendous amount of heat and seemed to run all of the time. I talked to the guys at Home Depot and they told me that they were getting a ton of returns on these because they were too loud. I returned mine and am now looking for a better unit to put in our kitchen bar.

I hope that you have better luck with yours than I did. It sounds like it may be just a matter of getting lucky and getting one that works properly.
post #82 of 163 Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 PM
RWB

This is my Maytag SkyBox. I changed out the front and added static cling decals.

post #83 of 163 Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post

This is my Maytag SkyBox. I changed out the front and added static cling decals.

Thats sweet. Any more info on it?

post #84 of 163 Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 AM
RWB

Quote:

Thats sweet. Any more info on it?

I'm not sure if they make anything similar to the Skybox anymore? I've been very lucky with my model going 4 plus years in use without a problem. I know if you do a search here on AVS you'll find a number of posts claiming this product was complete junk.

The front conversion look was simply a $20 dollar purchase. The static decals came from a company called Wall Appeal. Can't remember where I purchased them though I know it had to come from some small home furnishing department in Kohls, Target or the like.
post #85 of 163 Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I have been out of town for a couple days and get back and grab a beer and none of them are cold! Looks like I may have spoken to highly of my cheap unit and it is out! The light comes on, but no cold. I tried turning the temp up and down to get the compressor to come on, but no go. I'll unload it, unplug and let it sit for a bit. See if that by chance resets it. Otherwise looks like I'll be in the market. Of course HD just sent me a 10% off card, so that doesn't hurt.
post #86 of 163 Old 05-31-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Well I have been out of town for a couple days and get back and grab a beer and none of them are cold! Looks like I may have spoken to highly of my cheap unit and it is out! The light comes on, but no cold. I tried turning the temp up and down to get the compressor to come on, but no go. I'll unload it, unplug and let it sit for a bit. See if that by chance resets it. Otherwise looks like I'll be in the market. Of course HD just sent me a 10% off card, so that doesn't hurt.

That definately stinks. I purchased the unit above and plugged it in, let it run and was happy with it. I then unplugged it and it has sat for a few months while I work on the basement so I have my fingers crossed on it working when I in fact need it

post #87 of 163 Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM

Wanted to kick my info in if anyone is considering a kegerator for their beer serving. Couple months ago I picked up a Sunbeam model at Menards. I believe it was 499.00. Comes with everything. CO2 bottle, all the 3/8 tubing, "D" Sankey...drip tray etc. It will go down to 37F and I am really happy with it. Doesnt run a lot. Only problem is with a half barrel (full keg) the damn door will open on its own at some point. I just happened to be home when and caught it and went and bought a strap to keep it snug. Obviously with a anything smaller in size its a nonissue.Compared to online prices I am really happy with this purchase. A keg easily stays good for 2 months for me under the correct pressure. Pics are in my link and I can provide a model # if anyone is interested.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=jimmybobo
post #88 of 163 Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 AM

I have been looking for a Beverage Center for a while now. I need one that gets down to close to freezing (I like my drinks COLD).
post #89 of 163 Old 06-05-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1314 View Post

I have been looking for a Beverage Center for a while now. I need one that gets down to close to freezing (I like my drinks COLD).

You have to read carefully. There are few "beverage centers" that get that cold. Generally you need a refrigerator for that. Mine (before it went out...lol) went down down to the low 40's and maybe up 30's. But that is more then cold enough for the beer I drank. In fact, I usually kept it 42-44. No clear beer went in here. Tho when my buddy was in town I picked up some Coors light and those mountains turned blue fairly quickly, so by that scientific standard it got cold! LOL
post #90 of 163 Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Of course now that I need one, and need it quickly, I can't find a deal....

Guess I'll keep looking....anyone find anything recently? I'd prefer glass shelving this time, tho I can live with wire. And want a beverage center as I want LOTS of bottled beer. So no freezer and no door storage. I'd prefer a glass door but for the right price I could live without.

Freezing cold or even mid-30's is not needed. I only drink full flavored beers which like wine taste like crap "ice" cold. I have a full sized refrigerator in the garage that I keep some Corona, and Mich Ultra for guests that just won't drink my house beers (Fat Tire, Smithwicks, Old Speckled Hen and Guinness or my seasonal stuff).
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page