What kind of beverage center did you use? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 163 Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I really hope GE Expert's answer is wrong, he says the temperature range is 10-15C, that's only 50-59F. Not near low enough to be called "icy cold" in my opinion.

Please let us know what the real temp range is once you get them up and running. I'm still interested in buying a beverage center, but haven't found one I've liked yet. This one looks good, but I need it to get down around freezing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 163 Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebach View Post

@wudevious I recently purchased the EdgeStar 84 Can Beverage Center... it's a "pretty" unit at a great price, but it is a poor refrigerator. I can't get it lower than 46 or 47F, unless I turn the dial to "on" which actually runs the unit constantly... until your drinks freeze.

I actually like how it looks so much that I considered getting a separate thermostat to operate the the fridge, one that is more reliable at keeping a good temperature. BUT the fridge is so loud in my home theater/studio that I decided that even if I could fix the temperature, I couldn't fix the noise. After it turns off, it makes a rather loud "trickling water" noise like a small babbling brook... it's the coolant settling or something. So I've decided to return it, which I have to pay for shipping back PLUS a 15% restocking fee from Compact Appliance. So think twice about that one.

I replaced it with the very basic 2.6 cu ft Frigidaire from Lowe's because I used the 4.4 cu ft Frigidaire to build a kegerator last year, and that unit is relatively quiet. BUT it turns out that the 2.6 is much noisier (go figure), clicks extremely loud when it turns on/off, and it actually cycles way more than it's big brother (about every 10 minutes to keep beer at 34-36F). So that one will be going back as well.

So now I'm looking at a few others. Does anyone have any suggestions for a QUIET 2.6 cu ft fridge for a home studio? I don't need anything larger in that room because the big beer fridge is down in the garage. I'm also not too concerned about looks anymore since I plan to either build it into a small cabinet or use tinted stainless steel paint on the door. Of course, if I could find one as nice as the EdgeStar that actually worked, that would be a bonus.

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for the info Dave, sorry to hear you had to return the unit and eat some of those costs. It's too bad re: the temp and sound, because it does look nice, but those are probably two of the top three factors in having a cooler, so that's definitely a no-go for me. Hope you have some better luck this time finding something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I really hope GE Expert's answer is wrong, he says the temperature range is 10-15C, that's only 50-59F. Not near low enough to be called "icy cold" in my opinion.

Please let us know what the real temp range is once you get them up and running. I'm still interested in buying a beverage center, but haven't found one I've liked yet. This one looks good, but I need it to get down around freezing.

Curious also about the fridge, and not sure why the temp range is that, that seems pretty warm for beer. Any updates on the fridge gsearles?
post #123 of 163 Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Interested in the GE cooler also, checked out the website and it lists the range from 40 - 60 F. (Page 5), so that's better!

http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...e=49-60563.pdf
post #124 of 163 Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I bought the Vissani (Magic Chef) from Home Depot and got it installed over the weekend. I love the look of it, and the price was right. Unfortunately mine sounded like a lawn mower whenever the compressor kicked on, which was often. I took it back today, got another one to try, hopefully I just had a bad one and they aren't all that noisy.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #125 of 163 Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM

These fridges are easy to mod. I did it in about 20 minutes by moving the temp. probe which is located in the bottom of the fridge to the top area with simple wire and heat shrink tape. Now the top rack of the fridge is about 40 and the bottom is near freezing. I can explain further if needed.

If at first you do succeed- try to hide your astonishment.

My Concrete Counter Build!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1151574
post #126 of 163 Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

That sounds like a fun project! My new fridge is in place and the countertop is all installed, it would be a pain to get it all out and taken apart at this point. If you don't mind typing it up though, I'd like to see what the project entails. Thanks.

post #127 of 163 Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeister View Post

These fridges are easy to mod. I did it in about 20 minutes by moving the temp. probe which is located in the bottom of the fridge to the top area with simple wire and heat shrink tape. Now the top rack of the fridge is about 40 and the bottom is near freezing. I can explain further if needed.

Is that all that you did? I have had one of these for a year now and it does not get cold enough for my taste. Is there anything else that can be done?

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #128 of 163 Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking at his thread, it does not seem like he has the same style fridge.

post #129 of 163 Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 AM

Somewhere in the the fridge is a plastic cage that pops off and the temp probe is tucked inside. Once you get it out, unplug the fridge and cut the probe free. Should have two small copper wires. Go to lowes or HD and buy a couple feet of same gauge wire and heat shrink tape. I ran the new wire behind the racks so the probe is above the top rack. I heat shrank each wire and then wrapped them both together with one large one. I've found that I need to place bottles on the bottom because when I tried cans some would explode from freezing- so keep an eye out.

If at first you do succeed- try to hide your astonishment.

My Concrete Counter Build!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1151574
post #130 of 163 Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Cool. That sounds really simple! Thank you!

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #131 of 163 Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

I bought the Vissani (Magic Chef) from Home Depot and got it installed over the weekend. I love the look of it, and the price was right. Unfortunately mine sounded like a lawn mower whenever the compressor kicked on, which was often. I took it back today, got another one to try, hopefully I just had a bad one and they aren't all that noisy.

How's the new one? Are you sticking with the Magic Chef model?
post #132 of 163 Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The new one is much quieter than the first one. It has the much documented issue of not getting colder than 38 degrees, but I have gotten used to having my drinks at that temp and I can live with it.

post #133 of 163 Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
i bought that same one and i wasnt happy. As for cosmetics it looks great nice and elegant/expensive but when it came to cooling its a cooler now where near a fridge. My beer and drinks where no where cold enough for me but thats me. I did like the fact that i could play with the shelves. I used it to store my drinks and kept them there instead of the pantry.

FYI it looks very nice and i Like the stainless steal with satin finish but i would have like it to be colder.
post #134 of 163 Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am now in the market for a bevridgerator smile.gif and am reviving this thread to see if there are any new coolers out there that need my attention (aka money)!

My requirements...it must maintain a temp around 32-34 degrees...I really like my beer cold, near freezing. I could live without a glass door as well.
post #135 of 163 Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Man - you guys are making me jealous. My wife is insistant on having a full size fridge in our bar, and it appears to be a no-negotiation type of thing. I think we've at least come to a compromise with a glass front full size fridge though.
post #136 of 163 Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Man - you guys are making me jealous. My wife is insistant on having a full size fridge in our bar, and it appears to be a no-negotiation type of thing. I think we've at least come to a compromise with a glass front full size fridge though.

Jason, are you and I the only ones on this forum anymore? I still dont like the new format...since it changed, I am not perusing like before..I just dont find it eye appealing when scanning threads.

Anyway....hoping someone chimes in...getting close to needing to pick one of these bad boys up.
post #137 of 163 Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Jason, are you and I the only ones on this forum anymore? I still dont like the new format...since it changed, I am not perusing like before..I just dont find it eye appealing when scanning threads.
Anyway....hoping someone chimes in...getting close to needing to pick one of these bad boys up.

It sure feels that way sometimes. I had initially wondered if it was because most of the action was in the dedicated area, but I don't think so. Speaking of the format though, I NEVER get e-mail updates on threads anymore, even though my profile is configured for them. What that means is I have to hunt back through individual threads now to see if anyone has replied.
post #138 of 163 Old 11-23-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

It sure feels that way sometimes. I had initially wondered if it was because most of the action was in the dedicated area, but I don't think so. Speaking of the format though, I NEVER get e-mail updates on threads anymore, even though my profile is configured for them. What that means is I have to hunt back through individual threads now to see if anyone has replied.

I just updated my profile as it was set to Never notify me, I changed it to Immediate so let see how it works for me.

The new site just seems so impersonal.
post #139 of 163 Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Liked: 11
I am planning on putting in a SIDEBAR beverage center. I don't have the ability to put in a water line, so this seems to be the next best thing for spirits. Not sure what to do for a beer system, yet.
post #140 of 163 Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have experience with this brand/unit?

EdgeStar 103 can supreme cold beverage coolerl
post #141 of 163 Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

The new one is much quieter than the first one. It has the much documented issue of not getting colder than 38 degrees, but I have gotten used to having my drinks at that temp and I can live with it.

I like this look I think I might steal the idea smile.gif
post #142 of 163 Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, steal away smile.gif

One note not to do what I did - if you put in an oak hardwood floor, don't drag your mini fridge (or anything else) across it! It left tracks or dents in the top finish layer of the wood and there is no way to fix that. We wound up putting a rug over the tracks. Kind of heartbreaking.

post #143 of 163 Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

was the fridge the exact height of the cabinets?

Did you stain the cabinets?

Did you have to do something for the granite to be installed on top of it?
post #144 of 163 Old 11-26-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes fridge is the same height, I think non custom cabinets are all going to be the same standard height.

I bought them from Lowes, they came already finished. You could certainly buy unfinished ones and do it yourself, or build your own if you are a good woodworker.

Granite is really easy to install, all you do is put a thin line of silicone on the top of the cabinets, then lay the granite down. Then add your tile backsplash.

post #145 of 163 Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Very interesting.. I guess If my mini fridge is not the same size of the cabinets I could put some would underneath to make the same size... How much did you pay for your granite do you remember?

Basically just have the granite cut and simply lay on top of the cabinets? Then put the bead of silicone?
post #146 of 163 Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My piece was a remnant and was around $200. Yes it just sits on top, nothing fancy.

post #147 of 163 Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Not bad at all I got to
Find a granite deal with scraps
post #148 of 163 Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I still check this thread whenever I see new posts (I get daily emails if there are new posts). I still haven't seen anyone recommend a unit that can get real cold yet though. At least not with any consistancy. I've seen someone post that a certain model does, but then go read reviews that have a bunch of people complaining that it doesn't keep stuff cold, or that it's really loud, etc that make me end up not getting it.

Just seems like the cheaper budget models are a huge crapshoot. Seems like most of them are just wine chillers with different shelves in them so they don't get cold enough for me (I want it to be able to get down near/below freezing if turned down all the way).

I don't know that I can justify the price to get something like a commercial model (True, Perlick, Summit, etc.).
post #149 of 163 Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I still check this thread whenever I see new posts (I get daily emails if there are new posts). I still haven't seen anyone recommend a unit that can get real cold yet though. At least not with any consistancy. I've seen someone post that a certain model does, but then go read reviews that have a bunch of people complaining that it doesn't keep stuff cold, or that it's really loud, etc that make me end up not getting it.
Just seems like the cheaper budget models are a huge crapshoot. Seems like most of them are just wine chillers with different shelves in them so they don't get cold enough for me (I want it to be able to get down near/below freezing if turned down all the way).
I don't know that I can justify the price to get something like a commercial model (True, Perlick, Summit, etc.).

GE makes one that does, it MSRP's for $1499. If you search you can find it for $1249. smile.gif

Units that get to frosty cold levels do exist, I think the reason you are not reading about them here is because they all cost over $1000. Maybe I'm only speaking for myself but I don't think this forum caters to that crowd. We are DIY'ers, I'm looking for the best possible deal I can find. If I was the kind of guy who would spend full $1500 MSRP on a mini fridge I wouldn't be reading AVS...

post #150 of 163 Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about, I'm not willing to spend $1000+ either. However, I'm not set on only paying $200 or less either. I'd probably be willing to go up to around $600 or so if I knew that it would keep everything really cold.

I just don't understand why the manufacturers don't seem to be able to figure this out. They can make mini fridges that get plenty cold, that's what I'm using right now. But it doesn't have a clear door, and the shelves aren't set up that great for fitting a lot of beer/cans of pop/etc. so I end up with a lot of wasted space. Why can't they just take a regular mini fridge, put a glass door on it, and make the shelves so they fit 12oz cans better, or just put a lot more adjustment to the shelves. I'd even like it if they left the little freezer section most of them have at the top, so I could use it to store ice, vodka, etc for mixed drinks.

Instead they all seem insistant on taking a wine chiller (which never really get that cold) and putting different shelves in it and calling it a beverage center.
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page