Is this Jukebox Possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In my minds eye I've wanted to build a touchscreen jukebox that uses P2P technology sort of like Napster or bit torrent to be able to stream other people music to my own jukebox.

Maybe its more like jukebox media sharing over Peer to Peer. Does this make sense and is it possible?

Flan

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Possible? Of Course. Easily Done? Not Really.

The issue would be getting everybody else to allow you access to their music outside their network. This is possible with software like Hamachi which allows the configuration of virtual VPN's, but you would have to setup Hamachi on all the "source" computers. Then you would mount all those shares on your jukebox. I guess you could also use Hamachi and use iTunes to access the audio from everybody's iTunes servers also.

If everybody else was using the same configuration for their servers, then it might be easier, but with everybody else using different software, it would be more difficult, and require custom software.

Check out my theater! My Theater
Here is the Arcade: The Arcade
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 PM

reedl said it, the real issue people accessing your files OR you accessing their files and or viruses. I used my Linksys Wireless Home Audio to network to my brother and father, it works great but I trust the "security" of their networks. I couldn't imagine doing anything but streaming content from someone else and I suspect that would cause some network lag if you had enough people accessing your files at once.

I had considered coming up with a system on my own but decided to go with a pre-built solution in the end. My choice came down to the Linksys or a SONOS system, the deciding factor was the Linksys was N. My brother has a SONOS music network and there was no issue in getting them to talk.

Both solutions let's you access Rhapsody, Pandora, lots of other internet radio (about any statio you can get on WinAmp) and access songs from your iPod. For me songs have not been an issue, I usually play "I bet I have that song" when friends come over and I've won every time.

I must admit the Linksys looks kind of pricey but for what it does it's more than worth it.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-09-2009, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ydarling View Post

Both solutions let's you access Rhapsody, Pandora, lots of other internet radio (about any statio you can get on WinAmp) and access songs from your iPod. For me songs have not been an issue, I usually play "I bet I have that song" when friends come over and I've won every time.

I must admit the Linksys looks kind of pricey but for what it does it's more than worth it.

This may be more what Im looking to do. What is this Linksys System your talking about? I have used Pandora and Rhapsody before also. I guess Im looking for something like it that guests can come over and pick 'any song' like you said and play it with minimal effort.

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
post #5 of 5 Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflanagan View Post

This may be more what Im looking to do. What is this Linksys System your talking about? I have used Pandora and Rhapsody before also. I guess Im looking for something like it that guests can come over and pick 'any song' like you said and play it with minimal effort.

Just Google "linksys wireless home audio" (sorry NewB not able to post links yet) They have components that are compatible with both existing system (receivers, amplifiers and speakers) and they have stand alone packages. The nice thing is you can always add zones when you are ready, I have seven zones now (garage, rec room, patio, living room, family room, master bedroom and guest room).
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page