Is Too Old for Pinball Possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe my bride and I are going through just a temporary phase but we have a few of the nicest pin games you can have and I just realized that we haven't played a single ball in about six months.

If this is a permanent change due to getting older then someone from N. Florida please send a PM cause right now we are thinking it's time for our last four games to go to a home game room where they will be appreciated and enjoyed. YIKES! Getting old just ain't golden at all!!!

Our lonely and unappreciated games are TZ, MB, NGG and FT.
UPDATE
Almost had the FT traded for a bartop Vibe but it was a complicated 3-way deal that may have fallen through.

Anywho, I gave in to an urge to buy another pin - maybe dementia has set in!

I bought a The Addam's Family and am driving four hours down to pick it up tomorrow! Maybe we're not too old YET! LOL!!

I've tried to deny the urge but I've always wanted The Addam's Family since we first saw one in Angelina's Pizza on Duval Street in Key West back in 92.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-07-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

Maybe my bride and I are going through just a temporary phase but we have a few of the nicest pin games you can have and I just realized that we haven't played a single ball in about six months.

If this is a permanent change due to getting older then someone from N. Florida please send a PM cause right now we are thinking it's time for our last four games to go to a home game room where they will be appreciated and enjoyed. YIKES! Getting old just ain't golden at all!!!

You have PM.

John
post #3 of 8 Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

6 months isn't too long to go between games. If yours are all really good examples and if you ever regret selling them they will be hard to replace in the shape you are selling them in, particularly the MB. If you are sure you are done in the hobby and you got those pins for a good price I'd imagine you'd make some money on the deal.

If you decide to keep one, I'd keep the MB for value, the prices on those things aren't coming down anytime soon, but for replay value, you'd think TZ, no? Or NGG if you have kids? Haha, hard decisions, those are some good titles!

I sold off all my pins 4 years ago and all though I don't regret it, I did it for different reasons then not playing them, I know I will never find a Fathom in the same shape as the one I sold. I'll get back into the hobby again when the kids are grown I figure.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2009, 03:32 PM

Liked: 11
I know someone that rotates games in that if he doesnt play one for a couple of months out it goes to make room for another.
I buy to keep. Half the challenge for e is finding the "perfect" condition game for a bit over market $.
Some people I know trade games for a month or two.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great to see someone mention "The Fathom".

While I'm feeling old and considering selling the last four in our house our oldest son "adopted" our Fathom, F-14 Tomcat and our most pristine Bally Eight Ball and his most recent additions were Freddy Nightmare on Elm Street and Judge Dredd so maybe one generation fades and the next carries on.

Yeah, I agree about the Monster Bash and my bride has weakened saying we should keep the Bash and Twilight Zone and sell the No Good Gofers and Fish Tales - I'm still thinking the "grown up" thing is to let em all go - also the Tournament Tornado Foosball - it's a FANTASTIC foos but we haven't played it in a year - worse than the pins - it probably needs to go also.

OKAY - this is beginning to sound like therapy - Sorry!
post #6 of 8 Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great to see someone mention "The Fathom".

While I'm feeling old and considering selling the last four in our house our oldest son "adopted" our Fathom, F-14 Tomcat and our most pristine Bally Eight Ball and his most recent additions were Freddy Nightmare on Elm Street and Judge Dredd so maybe one generation fades and the next carries on.

Yeah, I agree about the Monster Bash and my bride has weakened saying we should keep the Bash and Twilight Zone and sell the No Good Gofers and Fish Tales - I'm still thinking the "grown up" thing is to let em all go - also the Tournament Tornado Foosball - it's a FANTASTIC foos but we haven't played it in a year - worse than the pins - it probably needs to go also.

OKAY - this is beginning to sound like therapy - Sorry!

You are a true pinhead if you know Fathom It hurt to sell mine, I did a full playfield swap, put countless hours into, it was my baby... before I had real babies

The foos is another table game that you really really need 4 players for, unless your wife and you are really good competition for each other it really goes unused. I'm no world beater on foos but I can hold my own and I don't think I could own one because my current circle of friends just aren't that good at it and would rather just spin the rods and see if they can get the ball to fly off the table.

I would hold onto the TZ and MB if you have the room to spare and if you don't may I make one last suggestion... have a 'games party', invite all your friends and family over for one last bash, setup some foos tournaments, singles, mixed doubles, stuff like that, setup some pinball tournaments, fun stuff if that is your guests level, like playing pinball in partner's, or cross-handed or 'blind' (Where you cover the bottom 1/8th of the table so you can't see the flippers), whatever other games you have in the gamesroom. Give away some prizes, small trophies, whatever.

If seeing the joy others take in your games doesn't do it for you anymore, then let them all go (The games, not your family ), if there is still some pleasure there then I say try and schedule an annual party or something to get excited about and make those toys worth having a place in your house.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 PM

You are NEVER too old for pinball.... wash your mouth out young man!

Don't sell them you will only regret it - especially if they are excellent examples. I did toy with the idea of getting rid of my CV. But there is something intoxication about the bright green artwork, the purple scrolls and the french feel to the old girl.

So glad I didn't as I just replaced flipper coils and she now plays like a dream!

I also have a MB that I searched high and low for. They are a very sought after Pin in the UK and with good reason. How can you get rid of one of the funniest pins out there. I love the sound bites and still laugh at them. Perhaps thats the beer I drink when playing?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Isn't life strange.

I picked up TAF this morning - great cabinet and playfield and with most of the available mods. New topper with LEDs that really let it "POP" and the boards were clean - probably paid too much but it is a nice machine.

We'll set it up tomorrow morning so we're back to five pins, the foos and the Cougar Valley dart game. I learned that even if you don't play often it is NICE to have the games and if you don't need the space or the money keeping the games is better than not having them so I'm thankful to everyone that encouraged us to hold on to them for a while.

Tomorrow will be SEC football, wings, cold beer and The Addam's Family!!

You're as young or old as you feel!
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page