Two questions before I buy a Popcorn Machine - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, the wife and I really like the Benchmark Premiere w/ pedestal base but it doesn't have a tray warmer. How long until a batch of popcorn becomes chewy w/out a warming tray? It's generally going to be my wife and me - and occasionally one or two of the (adult) kids. We do entertain on New Years so the popcorn may sit awhile then, but that's it.

Second, any clearance requirements due to heat output? I'm not planning on leaning it against the wall but need some input so I can properly plan a home for it.

I've got the Benchmark Metropolitan and Paragon 1911's as plan B depending on your experiences and replies.

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-24-2009, 11:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Not a direct response to your questions but based on my experience with a large popper I wish I had installed an exhaust vent in the ceiling above where my popper sits while I was building my theater. Heat should not be a problem it's the steam and smoke that will come out of the machine that you should plan for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 AM

Liked: 11
I have the Paragon 1911's 6oz size and can recommend the tray warmer. It helps to let the fresh popcorn sit for a while in with the warmer on to dry it out a little. Also, pop with the doors open slightly to let the steam out.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skers View Post

I have the Paragon 1911's 6oz size and can recommend the tray warmer. It helps to let the fresh popcorn sit for a while in with the warmer on to dry it out a little. Also, pop with the doors open slightly to let the steam out.

That is the same size I am planning on getting. Do you see the need for a vent/exhaust like BigMouth?
post #5 of 11 Old 10-27-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
We have this Waring Popcorn machine. http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?it...rchTerm=waring popcorn

It has no heater, but there is a lightbulb inside it. It keeps the popcorn surprisingly crisp for a couple of days at least. Frankly I could not beleive it.

An exhaust fan nearby would be a good idea as we do notice a pretty strong smell when using it. Luckily, we do have a bathroom with the door about 10 feet away and we run that fan which helps quite a bit. I would be a little careful about putting a fan right at the machine as it will suck in oil and whatnot that a bath fan is not designed for. Maybe a kitchen hood would work.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check
post #6 of 11 Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Yes you need a fan rated for kitchen use. The difference is a sealed motor versus an open motor. The later if exposed to an oily residue can be a fire hazard.

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I gave my 1911 4 oz machine (no warming tray) to #2 son and bought a 4 oz with a warming tray. Like you, it's usually the wife and I and we think the 4 oz is sized right for us. The warming tray has made a world of difference in the crispyness of the popcorn. No regrets.

Randy

post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

I gave my 1911 4 oz machine (no warming tray) to #2 son and bought a 4 oz with a warming tray. Like you, it's usually the wife and I and we think the 4 oz is sized right for us. The warming tray has made a world of difference in the crispyness of the popcorn. No regrets.

Thanks Randy. On a side note, the popcorn machine will be in the family room w/ bar that you and so many others influenced from your bar build thread. I'll tack some pics onto your thread as soon as I get a few good ones.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 AM

I've found that it's the popcorn type that determines whether it gets chewy faster...

I went through a few different brands until I found this: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=148178

MEGAPOP!! It's the best I've had and tastes better then what you can get in the theatre. Look around the web for different size packages for the best price and the size you need. MEGAPOP comes in different size packages depending on how big your popcorn machine is.

Also, I bought my popcorn machine from COSTCO. It has a light inside that keeps the popcorn slightly warm but there is no warming tray. Hope that helped.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 AM

I've owned two machines (both 1911 models) and, trust me, you want the warming feature. The light bulb is more for aesthetics than keeping the popcorn warm. Every week I host a football party and pop the first batch about 1 hour before game time to allow enough time for it to dry properly.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 PM

Yes, I bought an antique popcorn maker for my waiting lobby (I have an oil change business) and when I did not have a warming tray the popcorn got really stale, really fast. It did not take long, only about an hour or two, after the popcorn was made that the popcorn was not crunchy any longer. I got a warming tray and the popcorn stays nice and warm and crunchy for my customers to munch on while they wait for their car to be service and my employees.

-Wes
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page