Flight 2000 for $150 -- worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-31-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been looking on and off for my first real pinball machine. Somebody locally is selling "Flight 2000" (Stern Electronics) for $150. A few issues with the machine:

1. Fourth player LED score doesn't light up
2. Plunger that pushes ball out of final chute isn't working properly
3. Backglass has been replaced w/a blank piece (no artwork on backglass)
4. Sides have been stained and varnished

Other than that, the machine works well. The backglass can be replaced online and I'm not concerned with original artwork on the sides (and not a huge dealbreaker for me) but the other two issues are concerning. I guess the plunger moreso than the 4th player LED.

Questions: Is it worth purchasing if everything else is functional and paying to have the plunger (and possibly the 4th LED) fixed? What kind of $$$ are we talking to have it fixed (ballpark figure)?

So I'm guessing I can probably get the game for <$150.

Anybody that has any experience with pinball....worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know the machine, and im not the best with pinball games but $150 is cheap. I would buy it in a heartbeat if the game works for the most part. Theres a video on youtube if you want to check it out. Even if the game turns out to be a piece of junk you only have $150 invested in it.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you're going to have to replace the back glass with an after market glass what will that cost? You HAVE TO HAVE the back glass to enjoy the game.

"plunger"?? - sound like you're describing an outhole kicker. Could be dirt in contacts, broken wire or an open coil or something else.

Score display - they can be found pretty inexpensive - either an old original display or a new after market display - IF the display is bad and NOT a more serious problem with a circuit board - games that old can have all kinds of board and wiring harness/terminal housing and pin oxidation/corrosion problems.

The four important value components of a pin game are:
Playfield - is it visibly and badly worn or in pretty good cosmetic shape?
Back Glass - is it intact or flaking or otherwise bad (this game doesn't have one) Not Good
Cabinet Condition - self explanatory.
Does Everything Work Properly?

If you're not electronically gifter it can cost several hundred dollars to have someone fix the problems with game play and the display. Are you handy with a meter? Soldering iron? PCBs? Reading a schematic?

Parts, a new back glass, repair/labor, cleaning with new bulbs and rubbers and adjustment could cost hundreds of dollars on top of the base price.

It could still be a good deal but for a 1980 game maybe not such a good deal.

Check out craigslist and other local advertising venues for games. If you can afford it, I would prefer to buy a game in good physical condition and good working order than a "project" game that needs a lot of fixing up.

I'd suggest you try to find a "everything works" pin for your first home pin.

I'm in N. Florida and often see pins for sale for just a few hundred bucks - A year or so ago I bought a nice 1992 Williams DMD game for under $500 and it took about two hours for me to correct what needed correcting.

The way you describe the game I'd think twice.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks! You're absolutely right... I'm not all that handy with electronic repair, and spoke to my local repair shop after reading your post. Looking like $250 to repair it, then another $100+ for new backglass... Too much. Thanks
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page