PX5 Headphone setup question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not sure if I'm posting at the right section but I have the Turtle Beach PX5 headset. I recently bought a new Sony 1020 A/V receiver and a 3DTV Sony XBR-55HX929. I now connect my PS3 and XBOX 360 video and audio via HDMI cable to the receiver and then from the receiver to the 3DTV via HDMI cable also.

For those who don't know, the PX5 receiver only accepts audio via digital audio TOSLINK and then it will transmit audo wirelessly to the headphone. So my problem is how can I get my PX5 working with my new setup? The 3DTV has an audio optical out, I tried connecting the PX5 thinking the HDMI audio from the receiver to the 3DTV and then from the 3DTV to the PX5 via optical cable will work but for some reason it's not working. I tried turning on/off the TV speakers but still not working. Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 PM

Liked: 10
I just got the same unit and my setup will be almost the same. Here's how I'm planning on getting connected. Since the BR and/or PS3 is connected via HDMI I just connect the optical cable from those devices directly to the PX5 since they pass audio thru both. I also notice that my Sony passes audio from HDMI to the optical out in Dolby Digital if I change the setting from the TV speakers to Audio System in the sound settings. I don't have the XBR but yours may be the same.

I think I'm going to go with the output from the TV option because it will allow me to listen to whatever is showing on the TV and I won't have to change wires for whatever I'm viewing. The problem with that is nobody else will be able to hear the TV since all of the sound will go to the headphones.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 10
Did this solution work for you? If so, can you provide more detail on how the audio from the receiver's HDMI connection was passed to the TV's Optical out? I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 with all my components connected via HDMI, and a single HDMI running from the receiver to my Sony XBR55HX939. My receiver will not pass the HDMI audio to its own optical out, so I cannot use the receiver to connect directly to the PX5, Pioneer has verified this, and it's in the manual as well. I was hoping to use the optical out on the TV to connect to my PX5 instead, but don't get any sound. Sony said that the TV will convert the HDMI audio signal to be used with the optical out on the TV, and I have verified this by connecting my PS3 and DVR to the TV's HDMI inputs, and was able to get sound to my PX5 using the optical out on the TV. However, the only time I don't get sound is when using the HDMI out from the receiver to the TV, and the TVs optical out to the PX5. Do I need to change any setting on the receiver or TV in order to have the HDMI signal passed to the optical out on the TV? I would like to be able to use 5.1 or 7.1 headphones with my PS3 for gaming and movies, DVR, and Apple TV. I would prefer not to connect the optical out from all of my components to the receiver in order to use the optical out on the receiver. Any ideas? As I have 2 HDMI outputs on the receiver, is there any headphones with an HDMI in? Thanks!
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page