Need some MAME advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-24-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am planning to build a MAME machine of some sort, and have a few questions.

Rather than build a traditional, upright arcade-style cabinet, I was thinking of building "Arcade2TV" style, and using X-Arcade's Tankstick (their version pictured below, along with a similar concept from Recroom Masters). If I hang a monitor or TV on the wall in traditional, horizontal fashion, am I sacrificing vertical games? Do the various MAME titles that feature vertical play work on a horizontal monitor setup?

I've got a spare 20" LCD monitor and a spare 32" LCD TV that are candidates for use. The monitor is a 20" LCD 1440x900, and the TV is a 32" 720P. Is going larger a problem, visually? Do the graphics look to pixelated when the image gets too large?

Finally, I've got lots of retired PCs hanging around. In particular, I have a Dell Dimension with a 2.4Ghz Celeron, and an 8400GS graphics card, running Win XP that I thought might make a good candidate. Any concerns? I have other machines of similar processing power as well. I'm comfortable working with both Windows and Linux, but I get the impression that most MAME happens with Windows boxes.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Arcade2TV style:

Recroom Masters style:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 10
I recently build a similar setup as the Arcade2TV style (i don't have the side legs on mine), a real pleasure to plays mame again with a proper setup.

The computer spec looks good enough to play most mame/emu, you can start with that and see your needs in the future. You should give it a test, download mame and the games you want on the PC you will have in the arcade.

I'm using Hyperpsin (with Emumovie) as the front end to select system and games and it looks awsome on the 42 in plasma TV.

There is a learning curve with hyperspin but their forum provide great help.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought a pedestal-style MAME cabinet similar to your pictures (4-player) and I have it under a wall-mounted 40" LCD TV. I think the size is about perfect. I would probably have been happier with something a bit smaller as well. I don't think you'd be sorry with a 32" or 40". Vertical games work fine and the bigger TV probably does pay off more for those as you are just using the center real estate on the screen.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 AM

Liked: 10
I think that most MAME games will be fine on that PC but Hyperspin or any other graphics intensive frontend will not be. I would also like to try and talk you out of the XArcade Tankstick. It does not have quality components. Build your own. It is not that difficult and you will have more flexibility when using a better keyboard emulator. If you haven't already, go look around forum.arcadecontrols.com for a few hours. Here is my build page on that site.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,118144.msg1252331.html#msg1252331
post #5 of 5 Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
I have built several MAME machines, and this is what I am building on the next round myself.. I saw on one forum where the guy mounted the monitor so it could be rotated for vertical or horizontal games and with a simple sensor and some software he wrote and made available you could rotate the monitor and the games would flip... POOF... always right... I will try and find the link.

Rotting my brain one movie at a time!

Sony 55A3000

Sony 5100 BD

Mitsu 73837

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page