AVS Forum banner

Help planning a bar

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  llerradg 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about adding a nice bar/dart room to my basement (man cave). I've been browsing this forum for a few days, and searching the internet, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so I can try and plan the bar (and see if it's even feasible to fit in).

I saw some amazing bars posted here, so I figured you guys would have some helpful insight.

First, I'm wondering what kind of space should one plan between the back bar and main bar?

Also, I read that most people here recommend a 10-12" overhang for stools. But what kind of cabinets are you using underneath? Standard 24" cabinets? And to support the main bar counter are you adding a 2x6 frame? (Therefore making the entire foot print 42"?)

Space is at a premium in my basement, so I'm very conscious of space, but at the same time I want to do it right! Any input is helpful.

#2 ·
I have some pictures of my bar in my build thread.

I have 3' between the front and back bar, which works pretty well even with a few of us behind the bar.

I have 10" of overhang on a custom built bar with 14" deep "cabinets" which are really just shelves in a single cabinet that is about 7ft long. I didn't see the need to put doors on them. I just have glasses there. That gives me a 24" deep top at 42" which seems pretty good for us.

I'll see if I can find a pic of the backside of the front bar.

#4 ·
Here are some pictures of my set up. I used standard 24" base cabinets with a 2"x4" wall behind the cabinets. Then they put a roughly 5" deep "backsplash" on top of the back of the base cabinets. This gave me a roughly 18" deep lower bar counter and provided the support for the bar top.

#5 ·
That looks great! I love how you have the TV on a rock accent wall too (May have to steal your idea).

Any chance you could share the length of the bar? And how much space between the front and back bar (so I can get an idea too).

And if I'm not being too pesky, what kind of beverage fridge did you purchase?

#6 ·
Steal Away! Not sure if I had many original ideas myself. The bar is "L" shaped and the dimensions are 4'x9' with an 18" wide top. That gets extended by 4" or so due to the bar rail. I get one or two stools on the 4' run and 4 stools on the 9' run. Back bar is 11' long and the space between the two is 4'.

The most compliments I get from guests are on the rock behind the TV. The camera flash doesn't do it justice, but it looks awesome with the accent lights and the Flatscreen on. It is a manufactured synthetic panel system, made out of Styrofoam. 4 panels that just needed to be trimmed to fit. Very easy install. Antico Elements is the company.

The beer fridge is a 48" commercial unit from True. Since the bar area is surrounded by the foundation walls, I couldn't do a built in standard fridge. I like the looks of this much better anyway.

#7 ·
That's really helpful! Thanks again.

From my screen the rock looks real. It was a look I was originally looking for before, but I figured it'd be a lot of work

How does the foam hold up to abuse? Does if have a coating on the front to strengthen it? Or does it feel like foam? If you hit it with a bottle, will it dent?

Just really curious. The cost doesn't seem bad, and if durability is there, install will be a lot easier I imagine!

It'd make for a nice accent wall in the basement as well....

#8 ·
There are many examples of commercial and outdoor uses, so I would expect it to hold up well. It is solid and you can't bend the panels. It is solid to the touch, almost lifelike.

" If you hit it with a bottle, will it dent?"........Not sure, but may I suggest a chicken wire fence as used in The Blues Brothers to stop any thrown bottles!!

#9 ·
Ha, I should have worded that a little better. My friends/family can be a bit rowdy, but they typically refrain from destroying the place...

I was more thinking if you went to put a bottle away and the edge hit the foam before the shelf, would you be left with a dent? I'm picturing a styrofoam cooler, and how damage prone they can be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.