AVS Forum banner

New TV recommendations for gameroom.

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Plasma5300 
#1 ·
Hi guys, haven't been around for a looong time, but I come before you, to humbly ask for honest opinions, read on!

We just closed on another house, bigger, better, and now I will finally have my own gameroom/tech cave.

I need to first, get another TV, we already have three flat panels (50 inch in kids gameroom, a 32 in our master bedroom and another 32 for the living room) so I still need another one for myself.

Here are the requirements:

50 to 60 inches.

Under a grand.

TV will be connected, for sure, to a PS3, and my HTPC (for watcing 1080p movies and general PC use, and to play my MAME games).

Such TV doesn't have to have killer audio since I already have a nice soundbar and sub.

And now some questions for y'all:

Regarding Smart TV's, should I consider one or get me a Roku 3?

Most importantly......LED or Plasma? Obviously I like the best picture quality possible, my only concerns are longevity and power usage.

This TV will be used just by me, an hour or so after work and longer sessions on weekends.

So, yeah, if I can get opinions first on the LED or plasma debate and regarding Smart TV or Roku 3, then I'd like to hear about what models to consider.

Here in Texas I have the following retailers close by:

Best Buy

Fry's Electronics

Conn's

Micro Center

Sears.

Thanks in advance.

I almost forgot, 3D is not a requirement.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just my 2 cents on the hole smart TV thing..

No need for a smart TV if you have a computer hooked up to it. I don’treally understand why you need to have a smart TV if you have a PC hook up toyour TV already. The smart TV really makes your TV more like a computer withAPPs so why not just use your computer for all that stuff (XBMC, Netflix, Hulu etc). I am anadvocate on just hooking up a computer to a TV, I am personally not sold on the wholesmart TV thing. Most things first are available on a computer before they become an app for a TV, as well as you don't have to wait for new firmware or and new App that a manufacture makes if it's already available on a computer.

Again this is just my opinion

#3 · (Edited)
My smart tv opinions
I have a vizio smart tv, its not too bad. Its slow, sometimes has signal issues, and the apps are limited. Its in my bedroom so I dont use it too much. Now in my living room I have a Roku 3, its so much better than the smart tv. Faster, way more apps, sooo much better than the vizio smart tv. I also used to hook up my computer to the TV. It worked but I hated the cord. I now have two chromecasts, not perfect but I love them. The apps are opening up for chromecast and I think it will only continue to get better. I love that I can use my phone or tablet to control my chromecast apps. So my opinion, skip the extra money on smart tv, and get a Roku 3 and a chromecast.

Unfortunately I dont think I can help on LED or plasma, not enough experience. Any other questions let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.