Looking for multi game upright arcade machine - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for multi game upright arcade machine

I apologize if this was addressed in other threads - I'm currently reading through them now. But in the meantime...

I'm looking to buy an upright arcade machine for my basement. Size and cost are not an issue. What I want more than anything is reliability, quality and a wide variety of games.

I found a site- with an upright MAME based machine that would have 8,000 games loaded on it for $4k. They told me that I would have the ability to delete the games I don't want myself - and only about half are arcade games. The rest are Nintendo and Sega which is kind of cool too.

What should I be looking for as I start this search. Any pitfalls or things to avoid? Is this custom machine what I should buy?

PS- Obviously I want the classic games like Pacman etc but would love to have NBA Jam, Track and Field and Golden Tee too which seem to be harder to find.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually these machines on ArcadesRFun look great. Didn't realize that with Hyperspin interface you can play just about any game. So many others seem to advertise a limited (but still big) library.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullender View Post
I apologize if this was addressed in other threads - I'm currently reading through them now. But in the meantime...

I'm looking to buy an upright arcade machine for my basement. Size and cost are not an issue. What I want more than anything is reliability, quality and a wide variety of games.

I found a site- with an upright MAME based machine that would have 8,000 games loaded on it for $4k. They told me that I would have the ability to delete the games I don't want myself - and only about half are arcade games. The rest are Nintendo and Sega which is kind of cool too.

What should I be looking for as I start this search. Any pitfalls or things to avoid? Is this custom machine what I should buy?

PS- Obviously I want the classic games like Pacman etc but would love to have NBA Jam, Track and Field and Golden Tee too which seem to be harder to find.

Thanks in advance!
So I had a custom MAME/emulator system built for me. There are a handful of companies out there that build them - some are a little more 'stock' and other people build them more 'custom'. You can find them googling or looking on ebay.

I paid about $2800 for a 4-player pedestal (goes underneath a LCD TV I have on a wall) - arcade stand-up styles tend to be more expensive but I liked the pedestal better.

The ROMs that play games with these tend to be somewhere between quasi-legal/gray-area/illegal depending on who you ask. The place I got my original system for set everything up but I had to provide my own game ROMs, as he didn't want to touch that part of it due to the legality questions.

The software interface for it broke randomly after about a year and I had to spend a bunch of time reconfiguring the system myself as I got no support from the guy who made it - who I think tended to be more of a hardware builder than focused on the software experience. I recently upgraded the whole system to a new HyperSpin setup (spent another $400 for a whole pre-made drive with that setup on it for me from a different guy who is more software-focused) which had a much better user interface in my view than what I got with my hardware originally. Replacing that on my system still took me probably 10 hours of tinkering with settings to get everything perfectly how I wanted it even after that as now I had to get the new interface configured with all the settings for my hardware configuration.

I love having it, it looks awesome, people love playing it when they come over.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Buy used or build one yourself...It is easy to find just about any cabinet and wire it up. I have a dedicated cabinet Im restoring and will be getting a cocktail for my mame. Most of the places I have looked at are just simply absurd on their pricing. You can save a ton and really tailor to your needs and wants.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I took an old filthy, ratty cabinet and rebuilt it from the ground up. $150 for the cabinet and $800 for the rest. Less than $1000 total for mine. Haver a dual-core dell pc running hyperspin. Klipsch speakers w/sub, cup holders, x-arcade 2 player game pad, aimtrak lightguns, custom art-work, whole 9 yards. I had no prior experience and it took me 2-3 full months to complete from start to finish. Fun project and turned out awesome. It's a real treat to do it yourself and have it truly custom. Plus I didn't skimp on components or anything and still came out $1000 or less and compared to $3000-5000 prices of what I've seen online, that was dirt cheap. Plus what I've seen online you don't even get the full hyperspin setup arcade machines. Usually mame cabinets only. I have about 30-40 game systems setup in hyperspin on mine. Highly second the above and if you can, build and set it up yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories