Best way to make Popcorn (stircrazy)? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By window2000bug
  • 2 Post By DIY Guy
  • 1 Post By window2000bug

post #1 of 12 Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Best way to make Popcorn (stircrazy)?

In the almost three years of marriage the most used item from our registry is by far the Stir Crazy popcorn maker. We ad the recommended veggie oil and amount of kernels then pop away. When it comes to adding toppings to it, the wife microwaves some butter then pours it around as well as other stuff. I noticed that the butter makes things soggy and doesn't spread it the flavor around as much. Is there an popcorn oil that we can use that will eliminate the need for butter?

Edit: It is actually a Waring Pro WPM10
Bagua likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by window2000bug View Post
In the almost three years of marriage the most used item from our registry is by far the Stir Crazy popcorn maker. We ad the recommended veggie oil and amount of kernels then pop away. When it comes to adding toppings to it, the wife microwaves some butter then pours it around as well as other stuff. I noticed that the butter makes things soggy and doesn't spread it the flavor around as much. Is there an popcorn oil that we can use that will eliminate the need for butter?

Edit: It is actually a Waring Pro WPM10
I have the large Stir Crazy and have mastered the process. Here's what I do:

I use 6oz popcorn packs. There are many brands available, but I use the megapop brand. They include the coconut oil, flavacol/salt and popcorn. You most likely have the smaller capacity Stir Crazy and you may want to test the 4oz packs first, so you don't go over your capacity.

I drop the oil into the Stir Crazy and start it up.
Drop a couple kernels into the oil and wait for the heating element to come to temperature.
Once your test kernels pop, pour your popcorn into the oil.

TIP: leave the cover off until your first kernels begin to pop. This allows the steam that is being released from the kernels to dissipate and will give you a nice dry, crisp popcorn.

Wait for the kernels to slow to a one second interval and pull the plug on the popper. This will give the maximum pop without burning the corn.

Drop your batch into a bowl.

Recommend having popcorn salt in a shaker available for those that like adding a little more. Popcorn salt is much finer than table salt and can be found at your grocery store by the popcorn kernels.

As for topping you have a couple of choices:

Oil based butter topping, which you enjoy in most theaters these days can be purchased on line. I prefer O'dells. Or the old time theater experience of real butter.

NOTE: Melted stick butter makes your popcorn soggy because there is water in it.

What you need is clarified butter... the water is cooked off and removed, providing you the real butter flavor without the sogginess.. O'dells sells this or look in your grocery store for Ghee, an Indian version of clarified butter.

That will give you the real movie popcorn experience.

Enjoy!
window2000bug and Bagua like this.

Steve

Last edited by DIY Guy; 12-19-2015 at 04:32 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-29-2016, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cool, I would like to try this))

post #4 of 12 Old 01-29-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by window2000bug View Post
Don't melt butter -- it has water in it. Buy some Ghee and melt a bit of that instead. It's clarified butter (no water) and tastes great. Also buy some Flavacol and sprinkle a tiny amount on the popcorn.

Edit: DIY Guy beat me to it.

Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 01-29-2016 at 07:53 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-01-2016, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Don't melt butter -- it has water in it. Buy some Ghee and melt a bit of that instead. It's clarified butter (no water) and tastes great. Also buy some Flavacol and sprinkle a tiny amount on the popcorn.

Edit: DIY Guy beat me to it.
I think I found my favorite way to do it. My popcorn maker makes 2/3 cup of popcorn max per batch and you can do 1/3 if you want do a smaller amount. I have done the following
2 Portion popcorn:
2/3 cup of popcorn kernels
1/2 teaspoon of flavacol
2 tablespoons of off the shelf refined coconut oil

1) Melt Coconut Oil in maker
2) Add Kernels
3) Add Flavacol
4) Put lid on and follow directions

I got some butter flavored seasoning from the grocery store before I got the flavacol. The Flavacol blows the grocery store stuff away also the Flavacol doesn't burn when I add it into maker.

I am liking the way it taste and don't think it needs anything extra like butter, though my wife disagrees. She is using the clarified butter, though I think she prefers regular butter as she thinks the popcorn is to "dry" ><
KBMAN likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-01-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI, you can use Ghee in place of the coconut oil as well since it has a super-high smoke point, even higher than coconut oil. That's what I do.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sunflower oil (unrefined) has a low smoke point. Have you tried ghee?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-29-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Is there any reason NOT to use Coconut Oil?

We have had a gold medal popper for going on 10 years, and have tried just about every oil out there. For our tastes, nothing is even close to coconut oil. Add some flavocal, and it's about perfect. My wife is also a health nut, and has nothing but good things to say about coconut oil.

Our recipe. 4T of coconut oil, 1.5 cups of popcorn, 3-4 t of flavocal. It's not super salty, and sometimes we add some white cheddar or other flavor.

I don't really like talking about my flair
post #9 of 12 Old 03-16-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
thanks for the tips, guys!
post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 171
That sounds great, and even better than the great northern packets I've been using...I've got a slight larger popper coming in the mail...A Paramount 6 oz...Not super fancy by any means, but at least it will supply a few more people with popcorn in the theater My current popper is only a 2.5 oz. and can barely feed two people...THANKS FOR THE TIPS GUYS!
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1/4 cup popcorn coconut popping oil
1 tsp flavacol in kettle
1/2 cup corn

Buttery topping as desired.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Is there any reason NOT to use Coconut Oil?

We have had a gold medal popper for going on 10 years, and have tried just about every oil out there. For our tastes, nothing is even close to coconut oil. Add some flavocal, and it's about perfect. My wife is also a health nut, and has nothing but good things to say about coconut oil.

Our recipe. 4T of coconut oil, 1.5 cups of popcorn, 3-4 t of flavocal. It's not super salty, and sometimes we add some white cheddar or other flavor.
I like the taste of butter better than coconut oil. Ghee is a good idea though.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page