Wall plates... do you use them? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wall plates... do you use them?

I'm in the last 25% of setting up my dedicated home theater room in my basement. One of the things I need to do is wire up my speakers and HDMI to my receiver (Yamaha 2060). I was wondering if any of you use a wall plate as a go between for your wiring (something like the product link)?

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-T...ker+wall+plate

If so, is there any downside? Is there potential to lose the HDMI handshake for 4k content or any other attribute downgrades with using this type of product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I would avoid any wallplate connections for any HDMI link. Make that one continuous cable if at all possible. Especially if you're doing 4K, etc.

I used some wall plates for speaker/coax/RJ45 connections only in places where the wall plate is exposed (visible), or if there's not guaranteed to be a piece of equipment using it 24/7 (so that you don't have a cable dangling out on the floor for no reason. Behind the rack, it's all cables coming directly to the gear.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
I'm using wall plates for hdmi and everything else. I have a 35' cable with a wall plate on both sides and 2 more 4' hdmi cables on each side of that with no problems. I'm not 4k yet fwiw.

Here's a drawback to using 1 continuous cable which I was doing for 10 years until recently. The connectors can wear out over time and quit working. Then you end up like me running a brand new cable through the walls and ceiling. This is why I used wall plates this time.

One piece of advice if you do, use multiple wall plates. Give hdmi it's own because things get cramped real quick working inside those boxes when you've got a big ole thick hdmi cable and countless speaker cables.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong

post #4 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I prefer the recessed wall plates (with the hole in the middle to feed wires): https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

I like to keep my wires one-piece rather than multiple connections when possible. The holes also make it easy to fish new wires as technologies change.

Running 7.2.4 with Denon AVR-X4300W, ATI 2005 and 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Center, 201 Surrounds, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Front Heights, E301 Rear Surrounds, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK Acoustics
, Sony VPL-HW30ES Projector, Carada 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray, Xbox One, Crowson & Buttkicker Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i,
Amazon Echo
post #5 of 11 Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Didn't use it, everything works fine here :-)
post #6 of 11 Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used a wall plate similar to the one the OP posted. My in-wall HDMI cable gave out after 6 months and it was a bit more work to replace. I'll be skipping wall plates for my next build.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 50
HDMI sucks!

I use wall plates for everything except for HDMI (receiver to projector) and for Cat6 for HDMI-net Extenders (Cat6 is box to box).

The projector has two HDMI inputs, from two different locations. Both are fed with "redmere directional cables". Location 1 is from the receiver and is direct. Location 2 is in a pole by the couch (So I can use a laptop with projector), that location is terminated with a wall plate and the few times I have used it, it has worked fine.

HDMI to me is problematic. My Blu-Ray player goes to receiver, and then receiver to projector; playing 3-D was fine, now lately the Blu-Ray player doesn't sense a 3-D display device and refuses to play the discs. It drives me crazy.

Projector: Epson Home Cinema 5030UB
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-90
Bluray: Sony BDPS5500
Screen: Elite Screens ezFrame Series, 100" 16:9 AT AcousticPro1080P3 FF Screen
+ 6 Sonos Connects, Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier
post #8 of 11 Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For HDMI I used a brush plate. It is two brushes facing eachother that you can then pull a cable through it. This way it still looks finished but I can use one continuous cable from my reciever to the projector. I also made sure that where I am running an HDMI cable I put in some vacuum pipe as a conduit, so it would be easier to run new HDMI cables if they die or if technology changes.

Speakers, coax and Cat6, yes definately I used the wall plates with binding poles. Makes it look more finished and professional. I could not use them behind my bipole speakers because they were to close to the wall, so I used some brush plates to finish it off.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmac98 View Post
For HDMI I used a brush plate. It is two brushes facing eachother that you can then pull a cable through it. This way it still looks finished but I can use one continuous cable from my reciever to the projector. I also made sure that where I am running an HDMI cable I put in some vacuum pipe as a conduit, so it would be easier to run new HDMI cables if they die or if technology changes.

Speakers, coax and Cat6, yes definately I used the wall plates with binding poles. Makes it look more finished and professional. I could not use them behind my bipole speakers because they were to close to the wall, so I used some brush plates to finish it off.
I went brush plate as well. I am worried about the long term viability of the cable as a conduit run wouldn't have worked in my case (trust me, I spent too long thinking about future-proofing that endeavor). At the end of the day I'm going to have to put a small square hole in my ceiling to help pull a new cable thru.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have always found the wall plates to be the source of all kinds of problems. I would rather have a hole and stick cables directly out of it.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-23-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I agree with people here, I only used wall plates for areas that may or may not have equipment up... for speaker wall plates in the family room I did have wall plates for the surrounds because it looked like a nicer finish and it's visible.

But HDMI I didn't want to introduce a weak link especially with 4K coming into play. I did use brush gasket plates in certain areas where an HDMI wire was hanging out just to give it a cleaner finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page