Top Notch Golf Simulation made affordable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2017, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Top Notch Golf Simulation made affordable

Hello to anyone there who has the gumption to be a DIY'er, and the mental Illness that affects those who play Golf.

Recently I was tasked by a Fellow whom I had already created a Home Theater for to install for him a Golf Simulator. Having never done one, it seemed a challenge....one that need must be done right.

Now this Golf Simulator was destined to occupy the space in a unfinished Attic area over a 3 car Garage. It feel to me to arrange the Framing for two Rooms, the GS Room being 22'L x 19'W,
and the adjoining Exercise Room being 24'L x 19'W. 24 Hours and $700 later...we were ready to get the Wiring, Plumbing, Mechanical, and HVAC in. 4 days later...done and done. Drywall was next....done in 1 day....2 days of Tape & Mud Finishing, 1 day to Paint, and finally I can work some magic.

I had already researched what was available, and became distressed at the pricing for "Turn Key" Golf Simulators. ($ 20,000 to $35,000 ) That seemed.................well, excessive.

So.........being the veritable DIY Granddad that I am, I started searching for all the individual components.

First and foremost is the need for a Impact Screen....a big one. A very important aspect is the quality / weave of the material, since obviously a "Player" wants to see gorgeous scenery...not a coarse weave. A dependable place to find all things Screen in the DIY mode is Carl's Place

I chose the Premium Impact Version, Finished on 4 Edges (Top & Bottom Edges w/Grommets - Both Side Edges w/Velcro) Custom Cut to 10' x 10' (4:3 Format)

I also purchased from a 3rd Party Vendor 2 - 10' x 10' Black Mesh Nylon Nets, which were Shipped to Carl's for the application of 2 Finished Edges w/Grommets along the 12' sides (Top & Bottom) and 1 Finished Edge w/Velcro to attach to each end of the Impact Screen. Carl's did an exceptionally thorough and professional Job customizing the Screen and Nets to my specifications. Kinda took a lot of the worry out of what was to come. I also purchased a 10' x 15'
Black Mesh Nylon Net for the Ceiling.
$1295.00
total for all that.
(...less the 3 Nets, which were a total of $450 for 3...)

Next came all the Gear.
Total for all Gear & Screen/Nets: $5076.07

Hardware and Extraneous Items: $ 150.00

Total......................................$5126.0 7

That is almost a full $15,000.00 less than the lest expensive "Turn Key" Golf Simulator .
(It does not include my Labor however...but I work for peanuts, so.... )

Below is a pictorial that illustrates a few basic steps taken to assemble the Simulator.

Screen in place in front of non-shielded Window....

Blackout Curtains installed.........

1st Side Net going up................

Close Up showing the use of Lag-Eye Screws w/Washers, and Cable Ties to attach the Netting...

Getting Closer....Both Side Nets in Place.........

I didn't take any progress shots of the installation of the Ceiling Net....got rushed to get'ter dun.
Also dis not show how the Bottom of the Screen and nets are attached to the Floor using Cut Washers and 2.5" Coarse Threaded Utility Screws...which tightened everything down nicely!

But let's not forget why it all happened...shall we?

For now I must get ready to jet out at 5 am to Bel Air, CA to do a Audio / Video installation. When I return next Tuesday I will revisit the location and get those missing shots.

I hope this Thread, and the Links provided can help a few other Golf afflicted AVS Members realize that their dream simulator need not be so much a Dream as a do-able reality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Up 1.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	1971017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Up 2 w-Light.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	1971025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Up 3 w- 1st Side net.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1971033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Up 3 w- 1st Side net Close Up.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1971041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Up 3 w-Side nets.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	1971049  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A Happy Links Enthusiast 1.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	1971057   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Happy Links Enthusiast 2.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	1971065  
tezster and rflores2323 like this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
that's nuts! congrats, that's really neat!
post #3 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazing build, thanks for sharing! It looks like that space was just begging for a golf simulator!

post #4 of 7 Old 04-10-2017, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked: 3057
post #5 of 7 Old 04-10-2017, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
This is so cool I would like to build one of these for my house to. I'll have to check out the links. Have you had any problems with tracking the ball on the screen to the hole.
Not a bit!

Accuracy is amazing.....calibrating to a personal Set of Clubs extremely easy.

There are Sims that cost 10x as much and all they really offer is more Courses.

This Sim could have been a much wider 16:9 affair, but the inward sloping Ceilings just would not allow it. As it was I had to scale the image from 16:9 to approx 4:3, but the Sim itself had those parameters already built in, so in actuality it was almost "Cave man" easy.

The Sim is bigger than it looks at 9.5' Tall by 10' Wide. You can bet I'm itchin' to build one with an Image 15' wide x 8.4' @ 16:9 !!!

BTW...after not having swung a Club since 1994, I gave it a go in "Driving Range" mode and busted 4 straight Drives over 270 yards ea. and each was within 5 degrees from Pin Center!

The owner looked shell shocked, but I had to tell him I cut my Golf Teeth playing on the Southwind Tournament Course in Memphis with every Custom Builder who would let me be part of a Foursome. I could always make the Green 2...even 3 strokes ahead of them all.

But lest anyone think me a braggart...my Short Game always sucked really, really bad. 5 Put bad.
eng-399 likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 04-10-2017 at 10:46 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 70
This is really cool! Congrats on a nice install much cheaper than most simulators.

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but how do you assess putting? Do you just use the putting mat on the side and input your strokes?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
looks great, I had the exact same thought when I saw the prices from TruGolf and Fullswing.....Good thing I surf the 'net sitting down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page