Popcorn Machine Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-23-2017, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Popcorn Machine Question

Greetings. This is home theater related but not specifically AV. My new theater is under construction. Due to the shape of the room we had to build a wall in the back corner that leaves some empty space which will be wasted. I had considered putting a popcorn machine in the theater but we decided to pass as my wife didn’t like the aesthetics. I had the idea of building a recessed cubby in the wall for the machine and then covering it with soundproofing or wall art on a hinge to hide it when not in use. A few questions:
1. Is this a bad idea?
2. Do these machines get hot to the touch? Would I need clearance around the machine?
3. Do you think I would need to vent the machine above or would opening the door be sufficient?
4. Any recommended models? I was looking at Great Northern or Paragon.
5. Should I do 4 oz or 8 oz. We are a family of 4 and my theater will seat 9. Would like to host friends for sports/movies.

Thanks for any help you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-24-2017, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisnthere View Post
Greetings. This is home theater related but not specifically AV. My new theater is under construction. Due to the shape of the room we had to build a wall in the back corner that leaves some empty space which will be wasted. I had considered putting a popcorn machine in the theater but we decided to pass as my wife didn’t like the aesthetics. I had the idea of building a recessed cubby in the wall for the machine and then covering it with soundproofing or wall art on a hinge to hide it when not in use. A few questions:
1. Is this a bad idea?
2. Do these machines get hot to the touch? Would I need clearance around the machine?
3. Do you think I would need to vent the machine above or would opening the door be sufficient?
5. Should I do 4 oz or 8 oz. We are a family of 4 and my theater will seat 9. Would like to host friends for sports/movies.

We have a 8oz Great Northern and although we don't use it a lot, we do enjoy it. I would suggest an 8oz vs the 4 oz if you plan to use it when entertaining

Other than the kettle and the light, I have not noticed the popper to be particularly hot. However, if you are going to build it into a cubby, I would think you want to have some room around the popper. Also, I would think over time you might have some build up from the oil-laden steam. The only downside of these poppers is cleaning them. To keep it clean and looking good, you will easily spend as much time cleaning as it takes to pop a batch or two.

You may consider putting it on a sliding platform that would allow you to slide it out when in use or to clean - should be relatively easy to use some heavy-duty drawer sliders
post #3 of 6 Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the great Northern 8oz as well. Love it. But it would need some ventilation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 91
You'd definitely need some ventilation, or you'd be looking at oily buildup all around the cubby-hole, otherwise known as one helluva a fire hazard. Heat wise I think you'd be ok as long as you're not leaving the heat light on for extended periods in there. And remember, any venting, especially if using a fan, would need to be kitchen rated. Bathroom rated fans aren't sealed against oil buildup on the motor.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-06-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Two more reasons it's not a good idea.

Do you really want any fabrics in the home theater smelling of stale popcorn?

Screens and the oils in the air, also aren't a good match....
post #6 of 6 Old 10-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisnthere View Post
1. Is this a bad idea?

It’s fun, popcorn smells good in your home theater, and it’s the perfect accessory. Definitely get the 8 oz size, it’s not that much bigger than a 4 oz unit, and a 4 oz is typically a batch for about 2 people IMO. I wouldn’t hide the machine but make it a feature of your room. I own the 8 oz. Paragon popcorn machine and love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Tags
hide , popcorn , question , stealth , theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page