post #31 of 856 Old 02-08-2006, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[Coming a little late to the thread...]

I built a bar using plans from here:

precision-images[dot]com
(sorry I can't yet post the link or, apparently, even the full url. Not spamming, promise!)

The plans were great. They don't hold your hand or have step by step pictures but if I was able to follow them....

I'll try to remember to post a link to a pic of my bar after I get up to 5 posts. I don't know anything (yet) about HT hence I just lurk here. But I do know a bit about building a bar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 856 Old 02-08-2006, 08:38 PM
PAW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
toofargone
Just create a thread in the testing forum and post to it. I believe 5 is the magic #.

Aubrey
post #33 of 856 Old 02-13-2006, 07:13 PM

Concerning the link provided on the first page (www.barplan.com), I was curious if anyone has actually purchased and put the bar together in its entirety?

This looks cool, and I might redesign my own theater to accomdate one, yet at the same time, it just looks too easy. You know what I mean? Like a gimmic of some kind.

So, does anyone or has anyone built, seen or purchased anything from this site?

Just curious, and slightly concerned, with a tad of interest!

thanks!
post #34 of 856 Old 02-14-2006, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbageheat View Post

Concerning the link provided on the first page (www.barplan.com), I was curious if anyone has actually purchased and put the bar together in its entirety?

This looks cool, and I might redesign my own theater to accomdate one, yet at the same time, it just looks too easy. You know what I mean? Like a gimmic of some kind.

So, does anyone or has anyone built, seen or purchased anything from this site?

Just curious, and slightly concerned, with a tad of interest!

thanks!

I bought the plan, well actually you don't "buy a plan". You join the site and it enables you in the members area to view and download the detailed plans, all of them. I like that a lot as in the end, I will likely combine a couple of different plans into the bar I actually build. He builds them pretty much all the same way with finishing details and sizes being the difference.

I have not built yet as I'm still working out of town, but plan to. And for the money I highly recommend buying even tho I have not built yet. Why? Even if you don't use an actual plan, the ideas, suggestions, photos, etc are worth the $16.00 or so $$.
post #35 of 856 Old 02-16-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofargone View Post

I'll try to remember to post a link to a pic of my bar after I get up to 5 posts. I don't know anything (yet) about HT hence I just lurk here. But I do know a bit about building a bar!

Gosh, those first 5 posts are the hardest

Here is a link of some of my bar pics (on the avs gallery):

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot.../19417/cat/500
post #36 of 856 Old 02-16-2006, 10:51 AM

Hey,

that looks great! Now I'm assuming this bar was made from the bar plans mentioned in the link above? If it was. . .how was the process and overall expense?
post #37 of 856 Old 02-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbageheat View Post

Hey,

that looks great! Now I'm assuming this bar was made from the bar plans mentioned in the link above? If it was. . .how was the process and overall expense?

Not sure who this was directed to, but I used plans from precision-images.com. The website has a nice gallery of pics of users' projects. I would recommend using the plans as it can easily save you the $20 by helping you to use the wood most efficiently.

The wood (red oak) and supplies probably cost around $500. I used the following tools: ciricular saw, table saw, miter saw, jig saw, drill, orbital sander, and router. I wish had access to a drill press but managed with a hand drill. It would be hard to estimate the time it took, but given that this was my first building project I am sure I was super slow anyway.

See this thread for a description of my adventures with epoxy for the top:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=645326
post #38 of 856 Old 02-24-2006, 12:42 PM

I also went back and forth between plans. The precision-images page has a lot of great pictures and ideas. I think it is geared more towards someone with wood working experience. Barplans.com has some good bars, but they are not as detailed as p-i's. they are more for the beginner. I am a beginner. I purchased plans from barplans.com, but then ended up designing the whole thing myself, based on their plans and other pictures I have seen. I have a commercial keg cooler built in it and also a little fridge. It turned out excellent. measure twice, cut once.
post #39 of 856 Old 02-25-2006, 06:59 AM

Liked: 15
Here another bar, pub style. No plans, except and idea in my buddy head and we took off from there...

http://public.fotki.com/jeffbaker24/.../img_2818.html

http://public.fotki.com/jeffbaker24/...lbar_pano.html

http://public.fotki.com/jeffbaker24/.../stb_2723.html

http://public.fotki.com/jeffbaker24/.../img_2736.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 856 Old 04-04-2006, 05:57 AM

Just to let you know...I am not affiliated in any way with barplan.com .
I just could not figure out why I was not able to post the URL correctly.

I agree, why buy plans? especially $30 per plan! even $15 seem like alot.

The reason I bought from barplan.com was that you get everything on their site for 15 bucks. When I joined about 2 years ago, the price was something like $7.50 and I can still access the site today. If it isn't the plans themselves, it's the cool ideas I got from the membership site. I logged in again the other day and there are more than 500 photos of people bars that have used the plans.

So, to answer cabbageheats question, yes, a lot of people have completed bars using that site. You can se that in the sample gallery they post to the public too.

I figure, if you are an experienced wood worker, why would you need to pay for plans?
The site I mentioned is more for novices like myself who don't have a clue...

It's refreshing to see a site that delivers more than I expected. Sure I paid to join, but I think the membership now comes out to something like 2 bucks per plan...not a bad deal.
post #41 of 856 Old 04-04-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm about 3/4 done with my bar. I have all the framing done and completed the tops for the bartender area and bar top (3/4" particle board + 1/4" concrete backerboard).

After discussing "plans" and even joining a site, I basically threw it all out and did my own thing!

I decided I really wanted doors and drawers. So I researched cabinets and found a wholesale cabinet place here in town. Now, standard 24" deep lower cab's were to wide and making a box for 12" upper cab's would not have been deep enough and no drawers. Solution? I found "vanity" cabinets that had drawers and doors and as a vanity they are 18" deep. Perfect. I made a L shaped bar out of these (+ a beverage center), secured to the floor and one wall. I then basically framed a wall on the back side of the cab's about 6" higher then the cab's for the bar top.

BTW, finding the cab's wholesale seems to have worked well and I don't think I could have framed it for much less. I know it would not have been less if I bought enough stuff to hand build draws and doors.

I'll post some pic's in a few days as I have taken photos along the way. I'm going to start the trim work (molding) tomorrow and hopefully the bar tops this weekend. I bought black granite 12X12 tiles for the bar top and "think" I was smart by making the bar top 12" deep and basically the back bar area 12" deep. So minimum of cutting, hopefully.

I have never done anything like this before, a good friend was helping me, but had to go back to work so now I'm on my own. But with a good start I hope to finish by next week.
post #42 of 856 Old 04-05-2006, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I'll post some pic's in a few days as I have taken photos along the way. I'm going to start the trim work (molding) tomorrow and hopefully the bar tops this weekend. I bought black granite 12X12 tiles for the bar top and "think" I was smart by making the bar top 12" deep and basically the back bar area 12" deep. So minimum of cutting, hopefully.

What do you mean by the "back bar" area? The area where your cabs are?

I'm toying with this same concept and would love to see some pics of what you've done.
post #43 of 856 Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

What do you mean by the "back bar" area? The area where your cabs are?

I'm toying with this same concept and would love to see some pics of what you've done.

Oh yea, sorry I mis-spoke. I meant the bartenders work area. I wanted a two teir counter top, one area for the bartender and the higher area for the actual bar top where people sit.

I'll try to get my photos uploaded tonight or tomorrow.
post #44 of 856 Old 04-05-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Can't wait to see your efforts. Especially the granite tiles. Great idea on the vanity cabinets. I am a granite-bartop-wannabe!

Randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 856 Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yea, sorry I mis-spoke. I meant the bartenders work area. I wanted a two teir counter top, one area for the bartender and the higher area for the actual bar top where people sit.

No prob, that makes sense.

What are you planning to do for a countertop for the cabinets themselves?

Quote:

I'll try to get my photos uploaded tonight or tomorrow.

Looking forward to checking it out.
post #46 of 856 Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK photo time! The photos will show better what I did then my terrible explaination!

Here is the proposed layout. Frig in the aprox place it will go with Blue Tap laying out the rest. The door way directly next to the fig is the door opening leading into the bar from the kitchen. The door opening to the right of that is for the laundry/pantry room.

With only 18" cab's I didn't trust the weight to hold them in place so I used a hammer drill and screwed 2X4's into my concrete slab in the grout lines of my tile flooring. (sorry about the bad photo, I had just swept and that concrete dust was everywhere!).

Cab's over the 2X4's that are screwed into the concrete. I then screwed the cab's into the 2X4's. Had to do some shimming due to uneven floor and uneven tiles.

Here is the bartender side with cab's in place. I did a terrible job staining the cabs, so once 100% finished, I'll pull the doors, do a little sanding and put on another coat and a clear coat (I had never stained before).

Here is the frame for the bar top and will also hold the outer "skin" for the bar,

Here is the two different bar tops framed to support granite tile. I also added foam board between the framing of the bar top so when I "skin" the bar with paneling you won't get that hollow sound and it will give the paneling some support.

Here is what it looks like from behind the bar with frig in place

And a dry fit of the granite tile and tin back splash. The bar top itself I made exactly 12" so no cutting except as I turn the corner on the L shape of the bar. The bartender work area "I believe" is just right for one full tile and then a half of one tile. I can use the grout line to fine tune (hopefully). The square hole you see in the tile is a reflection of my sky light overhead.

post #47 of 856 Old 04-05-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I'm talkin' about baby! OUTSTANDING!!

Randy

post #48 of 856 Old 04-05-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

That's what I'm talkin' about baby! OUTSTANDING!!

Thanks, I still have all the detail work to go and have slowed down since my buddy had to leave (we did the above in 3 full days - well full days with lots of breaks for beer and crown royal!).

As you saw, no sink in the bar, but I have a free standing sink I will put on the wall behind the bar. Easy to install, I just moved it out of the way while working.

Not sure when opening day will be, but I'm saving the tiling till last (have never tiled before) and hope to get to it this weekend or early next week.
post #49 of 856 Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Sdallnct - Love the pics, I get a good idea of what you're doing now...

Coupla questions:

How are you planning to trim out the outer edge of the bar itself?

Is 12" of bar going to be enough considering legroom for seating underneath?

What was a good price for those 18" cabs you put in. I looked around at some unfinished ones at lowes last night.

You didn't want to do a corner cabinet? You probably have plenty of storage space anyway, so it might not have been needed. Just curious.

Again, looks great so far...like the idea for the foamboard too...
post #50 of 856 Old 04-06-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Question for the group:

Since the bar is considered a half wall, is there an NEC code that requires elec outlets to be placed on the outside area of the bar itself? Does it even require that they be on the inside?
post #51 of 856 Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sdallnct - Love the pics, I get a good idea of what you're doing now...

Coupla questions:

How are you planning to trim out the outer edge of the bar itself?

I have decorative wood trim that I will use. I thought about tile, but figured for the look I'm going for, wood trim (stained like the cab's) would be the best.

Is 12" of bar going to be enough considering legroom for seating underneath?

The bar top is 12" while the overhang is about 8". In all honest, I wish I had it deeper, but with my room width, it was a far as I dare go. My plan going in was not to have it as deep as say a table, but I hate bars with no overhang, so I compomised. The total 12" bar top was figured based on mainly only having glasses on the bar, but it is large enough for a plate if we have so many people that someone (or maybe kids) need to eat up there. And of course once I decided to tile the bar top, I wanted it the same size as the tile so minimize cutting.

What was a good price for those 18" cabs you put in. I looked around at some unfinished ones at Lowe's last night.

18" cab's were $70 ea and I used three. The 30" was like $120 (it was so much more as it had a bank of drawers). On the long portion of the bar I was actually hoping to use a 30 and 36 in cab, but they were out of the 36 and they weren't sure when they would get. The Lowe's/Home Depots in my area had very little in the way of vanity and all they did have were stained a light honey color.

I had originally planned to stick build the entire bar, and leave the area behind the bar open, filling in the space with wine racks, maybe a very small wine frig, etc. However, I really like the doors and draws and can still put a wine rack or whatever behind the door.

You didn't want to do a corner cabinet? You probably have plenty of storage space anyway, so it might not have been needed. Just curious.

A corner unit would have made life easier, but the place I got the cab's didn't have any in this quality. These are cheap "builders grade" cab's, tho I am happy with them. They had much, much fancier cab's (Home Depot had some to) that had detail work, etc, but most of these were $400+ for a single 30" cab. I suppose it depends are you budget.

Again, looks great so far...like the idea for the foamboard too

Thanks I really appreciate it. Like I say, mainly learning as I go and one day spent about three hours walking around Lowes getting ideas on what would work, look good and be in my budget. My original budget was $1,000 for the entire bar, sink and frig. I have not added everything up, but I will be really close. I may have gone over when I had to buy a hammer drill as my regular drill wouldn't drill holes in my concrete slab .
post #52 of 856 Old 04-07-2006, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have decorative wood trim that I will use. I thought about tile, but figured for the look I'm going for, wood trim (stained like the cab's) would be the best.

Have you looked into bar trim? I doubt the local home improvement stores would carry it, but I've seen it on the web. Really dresses up the area and would even add a little more overhang to your bar, I think.

Quote:

The bar top is 12" while the overhang is about 8". In all honest, I wish I had it deeper, but with my room width, it was a far as I dare go. My plan going in was not to have it as deep as say a table, but I hate bars with no overhang, so I compomised. The total 12" bar top was figured based on mainly only having glasses on the bar, but it is large enough for a plate if we have so many people that someone (or maybe kids) need to eat up there. And of course once I decided to tile the bar top, I wanted it the same size as the tile so minimize cutting.

I certainly understand wanting to minimize the tile cutting...smart move there.

Quote:

[b]18" cab's were $70 ea and I used three. The 30" was like $120 (it was so much more as it had a bank of drawers). On the long portion of the bar I was actually hoping to use a 30 and 36 in cab, but they were out of the 36 and they weren't sure when they would get. The Lowe's/Home Depots in my area had very little in the way of vanity and all they did have were stained a light honey color.

Thanks for the price info. I guess I'm lucky, as my Lowes has some 18" cabs with drawers or doors in unfinished condition. They're "builder grade" too, but I'm like you, I don't really need anything beyond that. I haven't looked at Home Depot though.

Quote:

A corner unit would have made life easier, but the place I got the cab's didn't have any in this quality. These are cheap "builders grade" cab's, tho I am happy with them. They had much, much fancier cab's (Home Depot had some to) that had detail work, etc, but most of these were $400+ for a single 30" cab. I suppose it depends are you budget.

I saw an unfinished corner cab at Lowes when I went, that's why I asked. Can't remember the price, but it had the pull-out double door, which would add a lot of storage room to the space.

Quote:

Thanks I really appreciate it. Like I say, mainly learning as I go and one day spent about three hours walking around Lowes getting ideas on what would work, look good and be in my budget. My original budget was $1,000 for the entire bar, sink and frig. I have not added everything up, but I will be really close. I may have gone over when I had to buy a hammer drill as my regular drill wouldn't drill holes in my concrete slab .

Gotta love when the job calls for a new tool to add to the collection.
post #53 of 856 Old 04-07-2006, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have you looked into bar trim? I doubt the local home improvement stores would carry it, but I've seen it on the web. Really dresses up the area and would even add a little more overhang to your bar, I think.

I'll have to check it out. Do you happen to have a link or anythng?

I saw an unfinished corner cab at Lowes when I went, that's why I asked. Can't remember the price, but it had the pull-out double door, which would add a lot of storage room to the space.

Really? And these were 18" deep cabinets? The Lowes and HD had almost nothing that was 18" deep. They had a nice selection of kitchen cabinets, but of course those were 24" deep which was more then I wanted. If you can get a variaty of cabinets, 18" deep that would work well.
post #54 of 856 Old 04-07-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Here you go:

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?pa...2&cookietest=1

I got that link from Hey Now's thread on his bar build (he posted earlier here in your thread). His thread is good for info too, check it out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=640633

As for the 18" cabs at Lowes, they definitely had them, both with drawers and doors. I don't want kitchen-depth cabs for my bar either, that's why I was looking at the 18 inchers.
post #55 of 856 Old 04-07-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Here you go:

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?pa...2&cookietest=1

I got that link from Hey Now's thread on his bar build (he posted earlier here in your thread). His thread is good for info too, check it out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=640633

As for the 18" cabs at Lowes, they definitely had them, both with drawers and doors. I don't want kitchen-depth cabs for my bar either, that's why I was looking at the 18 inchers.

Thanks for the links. I had thought about the armrest type trip, but nixed it. Mainly due to budget (that stuff is expensive!). But it is nice!

It is great that Lowes has a good selection of 18" cabs for you, I had to drive half way across town to find these and I live in Dallas!
post #56 of 856 Old 04-08-2006, 07:15 AM

Since my home theater will have a "futuristic" theme to it, I'm going to go with an illuminated glass block bar like these photos (not mine, just some ideas from the web). Glass blocks are reasonable and definitely heavy duty enough for a bar.

A.D.D. stands for attention deficit LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
post #57 of 856 Old 04-08-2006, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equusz View Post

Since my home theater will have a "futuristic" theme to it, I'm going to go with an illuminated glass block bar like these photos (not mine, just some ideas from the web). Glass blocks are reasonable and definitely heavy duty enough for a bar.

Nice! Would have not thought of glass block, excellent idea!

You are right, a different look. Since I'm going more for an Irish/Scottish/English pub look, I don't think I would go with glass, but it is a neat look.

In fact, I think I'm going to nix my tin back splash. I'm using a 5" decorative trim in a couple of areas including the front "kick plate". It looks like it would work perfect as the back splash and since I will stain the rest of the cab's think it might just do the trick.
post #58 of 856 Old 04-09-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm a wood and brass guy, but you have to love that!!! Excellent work.

Randy

post #59 of 856 Old 04-10-2006, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ditto on the previous comments (my bar will be a little too traditional for this), but I love the way this looks. Very Miami Vice, but in a good way!
post #60 of 856 Old 04-13-2006, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's some things I did. We're not finished yet though. I'm looking to build a back bar very similar to HeyNow's. I'm not thrilled with the painted bottom of the bar so I think I'll be covering that in some stained wood, again like HeyNow's....good job!

One thing I was trying to accomplish was to keep the bar area functional after my 7 year old boy is 15 years old and is trying to get to my liqour with his buddies and all the girlfriends! The solution was when we framed out the basement we made a 5x12 foot room directly behind where the bar would sit. I found a garden gate that has a solid bolt lock in order to look a bit more decorative, the alternative would have been an exterior style door with a deadbolt. The kegerator is in the back room along with a full size frig. I drilled a hole through the drywall and back of the cabinetry and ran the beer lines up into the laminate back bar counter top. When not using the liqour it just gets locked up in the back room and I just unhook the beer keg (the second tap is root beer).

For those putting a bar together now I would suggest as large a bar sink as you can accomodate and as long as you are doing plumbing attach a dishwasher. Nothing better than having friends over for the game and when done throwing everything in the dishwasher before going up for the night.

Photos are too large to paste here so here's the links to my gallery.

Randy

Full Bar Area

Back Bar

Room Behind Bar

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page