Bar plans? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 858 Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did all you guys have water/sewer available for your bars or did some of you have to get creative? I'm wondering how much I'll miss having a sink and running water in my upcoming bar area project. I'm wondering if it is that big of deal. My sewage ejector pit/pump for the bathroom is no where near where my bar will be.

Hmph.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 858 Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Mine was relatively close and was able to tap into it. I have a seperate pump for the utility sink in my workshop though. That one is above ground. The bathroom/bar one is below. Any way to add a second?

Bud
post #93 of 858 Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Great bar....Nice job!

Where did you get the wall phone? I've been looking for a replica antique English/British wall phone for my bar and have had no luck.

Here's one like mine.
http://www.ahernstore.com/1950-payphone.html

Bud
post #94 of 858 Old 07-27-2006, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Randy,

Where did you get your barstools from?

Bud
post #95 of 858 Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Bud,

I got them at Sam's. Of course they don't carry them anymore. If you have one near you, check frequently because the styles change all the time. When we bought them, I stood there for over an hour debating whether to buy 4 or 5 of them knowing that I would NEVER be able to match them up in the future. Wife decided that 4 was sufficient. she was right.
post #96 of 858 Old 07-27-2006, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Willis View Post

Did all you guys have water/sewer available for your bars or did some of you have to get creative? I'm wondering how much I'll miss having a sink and running water in my upcoming bar area project. I'm wondering if it is that big of deal. My sewage ejector pit/pump for the bathroom is no where near where my bar will be.

How far is your run?

During my under slab inspection, I asked several questions of the inspector before I went any further. One of the questions was about the extensive run to my wet bar for the sewer line. His answer was for me to place it under the slab and come up in the stairwell wall next to my bar. There was no way that I was going to bust up that much of my slab and I disgreed with his interpretation of the code. I therefore installed joints in my bathroom plumbing so I could 'sneak' in the plumbing to my bar after the rough-in inspection and before the drywall went up. He stated that he was only filling in while my typical inspector was on vacation. I then found out that he was fired for taking 'gifts' and my regular inspector was pretty cool. I went ahead and installed as I planned and had my rough-in inspection and it was approved. Here are some pics showing what I did. I could have done a better job of the connection into the main line at the bathroom, but I did this when I thought I would be hiding it.

This is the connection into the bathroom plumbing. Bottom pvc is for the sewege line, the top is for the venting. Hot & Cold are tapped off of the shower:

This is a pic of it snaking along and behind the stairs:

Connections at the bar. I have since built a cabinet in that corner of the bar where the sink will be installed.
post #97 of 858 Old 07-27-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice, and I found that store. I kind of like this one.

But I was hoping to find one with a little more British feel. Maybe even one with the red box that swung open to reveal the phone?? Know what I'm talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Here's one like mine.
http://www.ahernstore.com/1950-payphone.html

Bud

post #98 of 858 Old 08-06-2006, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the front part of the bar to do. I was thinking of a wainscot or panel system on the front (where you see unfinished drywall). I'm thinking of maybe doing the top part of the bar in your traditional wooden top with a bar rail and doing granite on top of the base cabinets. I'm going to have to either match the stain on the cabinets or do a complimentary color or paint.

Bud

Well I'm certainly happy with the wainscot/paneling I "skinned" my bar with. I even used a cheap photo finish wainscot that looks sort of like leather, then put some stained trim to cover seams.

However, now that I'm done and gotten use to staining, I can't help but wonder what real wood, say bead board panels/wainscot would look like. If you are using a nice rich, dark stain, I can only imagine would be awesome.

Another thing with the cheap paneling anyway, is I already have one little scratch. Not a big deal, I can probably cover with a brown sharpie or something. But it would probably be more durable if wood/stain then able to touch up stain if needed.

Oh...also an update! I installed my sink yesterday! YEA!!! A buddy was in town and we went and got some beer and decided to take it on our self! I had called our plumber be he had been so busy he wasn't sure when he could come out and since we didn't even have rough in done, it was going to charge a little over $300 at least. So we went and bought about $60 worth of stuff and knocked it out in about 3 hours. And I didn't flood the house!!! I went surprisingly smooth. The wall I was putting the sink on had plumbing as the other side is the kitchen sink. And I figured I could do the supply lines easy enough, but I wasn't sure how to tie into the drain line and keep it all in the wall. But we actually had very little problem! That PVC pipe is slick. Pretty much like a jig saw puzzle. An angle here and angle there and it was done!

I'll try to post more pic's within a few days...
post #99 of 858 Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Here's a couple of pics of different British phones in booths. I thought of trying to find one of those, as I've seen them come up on eB*y occassionally, but ended up going with the same phone that Bud bought. Works well and looks good. And I figured that few friends/family would know the difference.
LL
LL
post #100 of 858 Old 08-07-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, mine is authentic, just doesn't work at the moment. Its a Western Electric from the 50s. My father-in-law had it. I got that and a 40's barber chair. Cleaned up pretty well, although has a tear on the seat that's been taped. It's in the garage, but I'll be moving it shortly.

Bud
post #101 of 858 Old 08-07-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, mine is authentic,

Nice-- my replica's ok, but there's a different level of construction and feel with the authentics. I had bid on a few, but the price on them in any kind of shape seems to creep up to over $200 pretty quickly, and then when you add on $50 or so to ship those beasts, it just made the case for me to get a replica.
post #102 of 858 Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, they're quite heavy. I had to make sure I hit a stud when I hung it. I think they typically put a plate on the wall then screw the phone to the plate. I didn't have the plate, so I had to wing it.

Bud
post #103 of 858 Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I had to do some winging with the replica as well. While it mounts on a standard phone wall mount, it sticks out about 1/4" from the wall, giving it a loose feel on the wall. So I had to build a wall plate to firm it to the wall.
post #104 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered 30" bar stools for my bar...finally. I found a deal at JCPenney's and free shipping, so bought four to get started. These have backs and swivel. I will eventually get an additional two or three more plain stools with no backs to fill in when we have that many people.

But my question...I want to go ahead a buy a stool for the bartender work area. What size? Should I get 30" so will be sitting at the same height as guests or 24" so it will be lower to work on the back bar area? I'm thinking 30" as I can't imagine even pouring a beer while sitting down, so mostly would stand up to mix hand a drink then sit back down to have one with guests.
post #105 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure, I'm curious as well. Can you link to the bar stools you bought? Would love to see them.

Bud
post #106 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, the guy was here today and did the templates for my bar counter and concession area. I'm going granite all around. It's call St Cecilia. I decided to do it on the base cabinets and the bar top. One less thing for me to do. It'll make it a little more "kitchenie", but I'm OK with that. Got a pretty good deal, better than expected.

It'll look similar to this:

Bud
post #107 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Willis View Post

Hmph.....

I had the same issue for my bar area. My plumber recommended a drain pump system that pumps the waste water up to your standard drain pipes.

Here is a link to the unit that he put in for me.

Zoeller pump
post #108 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredpamm View Post

I had the same issue for my bar area. My plumber recommended a drain pump system that pumps the waste water up to your standard drain pipes.

Here is a link to the unit that he put in for me.

Zoeller pump

Well that is the main reason I didn't put a sink in my bar, I didn't want to "run" plumbing. However the wall behind the bar is common to my kichen. So I put in a free standing vanity type sink behind the bar and pretty much just lined it up just opposite to the kitchen sink. So everything there. I figure I will mainly use a sink to dump glasses in, wash hands, etc. Since the kitchen is right there I'm sure I'll just take stuff there to be really cleaned.

I need to post some new pic's so you can see.....
post #109 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure, I'm curious as well. Can you link to the bar stools you bought? Would love to see them.

Bud

Well we bought them based on price. Wife and I could not agree. And if we were going to spend $300 or whatever on custom, we did not want to be rushed. So I ordered some close out of JCP's for $50 ea with free shipping. I see they are now up to $60 ea, but there is no longer a pic available.

If you look up item number IF781-9782F at the JCPenney site you will get the item, but no pic. I'm still looking.

They look sort of like this one only with a web back

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Product...=SearchResults
post #110 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, the guy was here today and did the templates for my bar counter and concession area. I'm going granite all around. It's call St Cecilia. I decided to do it on the base cabinets and the bar top. One less thing for me to do. It'll make it a little more "kitchenie", but I'm OK with that. Got a pretty good deal, better than expected.

It'll look similar to this:

Bud

Very nice...should look great!
post #111 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bar sink pic's,

Here is what is looks like if you were walking by the bar or about to go behind the bar. The "window" above the sink is a pass thru to my kitchen and as you can see the sink is just on the other side of the opening. I still need to finish out this opening. (I believe originally the room where my bar is was open to the exterior for there really was a window in this pass thru. I simply removed the window when we did the kitchen).

A close up. As you can see I added Guinness Opener and have a matching "cap catcher" on the way.

An angle shot of what it looks like behind the bar.

This is a "pub" table I picked up. Actually is a close out outdoor "bistro" set from Target. But the colors and such match perfect. The Aluminum framing matches almost exactly with my granite bar top. As you can see I still have some work to do on electrical switches and plugs.

post #112 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

They look sort of like this one only with a web back

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Product...=SearchResults

Those are pretty nice. I know thats not exactly what you got. Are yours metal?

Bud
post #113 of 858 Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those are pretty nice. I know thats not exactly what you got. Are yours metal?

Bud

Yup metal. Which I'm not totally thrilled about. But again, I just wanted to get something to put in there and I will continue to look for what I really want. I had friends over last weekend (one of whom helped me install the sink) and it was such a pain to just stand around. We ended taking our beers in the media room which while not bad, is not really set up to just sit around and talk. It is set up to watch a movie!

They should have been here yesterday and doesn't look like will make it today. And since they are shipped directly from the dealer, I can't track the shipping on the JCP web site. I'll take pic's and report back once they come in....
post #114 of 858 Old 08-20-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

So here is what the bar looks like dry fit with the new framing for the panels. So far, so good. Next Saturday I go to the place that can match the stain for me.

Still figuring out the panels and the molding themselves. I also ordered corbels to support the granite:

http://www.premierwood.com/catalog/S...?idproduct=835

The granite is scheduled for install on the 30th.

Bud
post #115 of 858 Old 08-26-2006, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My bar stools finally came in. I put one together this morning.

The good,

-match well in the room with black aluminum frame including "web" back
-small foot print, don't take up a lot of room
-swivel is really a "lazy susan" that can just spin with no "spring back". I like that

The bad,

-while they have a back, it is pretty low. OK for sitting but looks odd with the chair empty
-they are a low seat. They really stretch to call this a 30" chair. Again, not bad when sitting in it, but looks small just sitting there. I measure and including the cushion it is just barely 29.5", but then when you sit the cushion compresses by about 2.5 inches. Course I may have built my bar a little high
-seems a little easy to tip over when sitting in it. But I am a big heavy guy

Now remember I only paid $50 per chair with free shipping on these. So I got four of them for the price of one decent chair.

My bar will pretty easily seat 6 and maybe 7, but I didn't want that many chairs in there all the time. So my plan was to have four nice matching stools always sitting around the bar and then have 2-3 other in the garage or whatever available if I need them when having a party. So I think I will continue to look for four nice stools, and rotate these to the "fill in" chairs when needed.

I'll try to post a pic later once I get them all built.
post #116 of 858 Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm finally getting a chance to work on mine a little more. It's taking some time since I'm finishing all of the molding and woodwork in my basement at the same time.

It looks contemporary, but this will change as soon as I start adding the finish trim around the lights and edges.

post #117 of 858 Old 08-27-2006, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

I'm finally getting a chance to work on mine a little more. It's taking some time since I'm finishing all of the molding and woodwork in my basement at the same time.

It looks contemporary, but this will change as soon as I start adding the finish trim around the lights and edges.

That is awesome! I'm so jealous of you guys that have basements, all that room!

I like the glass in the middle of the panels. Like your lights. I had some lights picked out at Lowes and they went on clearence, now I can't find them....
post #118 of 858 Old 08-30-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As promised, pics of my new bar stools. To recap, could not agree with wife on bar stools, especially with the money we were looking at. Was tired of no where to sit, so found these on close out from JCP's for $50 ea w/free shipping.

See my pro's and con's in my prior post. The height actually works about perfect. And the overhang is just fine. Sure a little more room would have been better, but I didn't want to take up that much space in the room.

post #119 of 858 Old 08-31-2006, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

post #120 of 858 Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are the granite shots of the bar. Faucet is not attached, just stuck it in the hole. I'll work on my wood front this weekend.

Bud
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page