Bar plans? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 856 Old 08-31-2006, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think those bar stools look very nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 856 Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Here are the granite shots of the bar. Faucet is not attached, just stuck it in the hole. I'll work on my wood fron this weekend.

Bud

That top turned out great! I seriously thought about going engineered stone (quartz) as that is what we did out kitchen, but it really would have blown the budget out of the water (it would have been more for the top then everthing else in the room combined!), so I went with granite tile. But I sure like how yours looks.

I see the 2X4 supports, are you going to have to add some bracing? How big is the over hang?
post #123 of 856 Old 08-31-2006, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

I think those bar stools look very nice!

Thanks, you are kind. I'm not "unhappy" with them, but glad they were so cheap or I would not have liked them at all. And it will be nice having something in there over the holiday weekend.

I think, I want to look for wood stools in a dark stain. With all the wood trim pieces I have all over the bar, I think a nice dark wooden bar stool would look much better then the metal.
post #124 of 856 Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I see the 2X4 supports, are you going to have to add some bracing? How big is the over hang?

I have the panels built for the front of the bar, we did that last weekend. I also have 9 corbels on hand that I need to stain as well. Should be a productive weekend, assuming it doesn't rain. I want to do my staining outside.

Here's what the front panels an d corbels will look like. The overhang is about 9 inches.

Bud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out a video of my  

post #125 of 856 Old 08-31-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bud-- your panels look fantastic.

-Joe

post #126 of 856 Old 08-31-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, you are kind. I'm not "unhappy" with them, but glad they were so cheap or I would not have liked them at all. And it will be nice having something in there over the holiday weekend.

I think, I want to look for wood stools in a dark stain. With all the wood trim pieces I have all over the bar, I think a nice dark wooden bar stool would look much better then the metal.

Yeah, you're right, that would look better. Although the black goes nicely with your black granite countertop.

Having extra stools is good though, for overflow crowds.
post #127 of 856 Old 08-31-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post

Bud-- your panels look fantastic.

Thanks. Can't wait to see how it looks stained.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #128 of 856 Old 08-31-2006, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the panels built for the front of the bar, we did that last weekend. I also have 9 corbels on hand that I need to stain as well. Should be a productive weekend, assuming it doesn't rain. I want to do my staining outside.

Here's what the front panels an d corbels will look like. The overhang is about 9 inches.

Bud

Yup, stain outside if at all possible. I "learned to stain" during this project and while it seems easy, I learned quickly you have to have patience. On my cabinets and trim, I sanded everything before starting, two coats of stain with sanding in between then two coats of clear coat, sanding in between. Between the messy staining and sanding, I'm very glad I did it outside.
post #129 of 856 Old 09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Staining is a major PITA. Messy too. Best attempted outside where you can minimize the mess.
post #130 of 856 Old 09-01-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Staining is a major PITA. Messy too. Best attempted outside where you can minimize the mess.

My wife did our staining, which included the ceiling behind the bar. After a couple of hours of hearing her cursing like a sailor, she emerged, splotched like a leopard with Miniwaw Red Sedona #222. Oh, and it's oil-based as well, so it doesn't clean up with water (but covers and penetrates beautifully). She showered, scrubbing with Comet to get it off.

-Joe

post #131 of 856 Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bud

I have 8" overhang and do wish it was an inch or two more, but it works fine.

I see what you did now. I have 8" granite tile overhang and did not add outside bracing. But I built up the top with 3/4" OSB and then 1/4" cement backer board the exact size of the tile, before putting the tile on.

I really like the nice clean look you got.
post #132 of 856 Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds familiar.

Kudos on passing off the job to the wife. Well done.
post #133 of 856 Old 09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds familiar.

Kudos on passing off the job to the wife. Well done.

A good manager knows when to do the work and when to delegate it.

(please don't tell my wife I said that)

-Joe

post #134 of 856 Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post

A good manager knows when to do the work and when to delegate it.

(please don't tell my wife I said that)

Yikes. Don't worry, I won't. I wouldn't want to have a guy's death on my conscience.
post #135 of 856 Old 09-02-2006, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A special note/warning for those going with granite:

I was really cleaning up the bar this morning and noticed I had a water stain or two on my granite tiles. Now I have been pretty careful (but it is a bar). And after installing I did seal the tile (maybe I need to do it again). It is not enough to worry about (it is on the bartenders side), but it did catch my attention. I do have coasters and napkins.

Now it is possible that these are not the highest quality granite and maybe I should seal them again. But for those using granite you might read up and follow recommendations closely so you don't have an issue with staining.
post #136 of 856 Old 09-04-2006, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are the final pictures of the bar with the stained panels/corbels installed. I jsut need some quarter round and thats it for now. I may do a foot rail at some point.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #137 of 856 Old 09-04-2006, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A special note/warning for those going with granite:

I was really cleaning up the bar this morning and noticed I had a water stain or two on my granite tiles. Now I have been pretty careful (but it is a bar). And after installing I did seal the tile (maybe I need to do it again). It is not enough to worry about (it is on the bartenders side), but it did catch my attention. I do have coasters and napkins.

Now it is possible that these are not the highest quality granite and maybe I should seal them again. But for those using granite you might read up and follow recommendations closely so you don't have an issue with staining.

I know that if you don't seal it, you may get water marks, depending on the stone. I was told to seal mine twice a year for the lighter colors and once a year for the darker (we have a dark granite in our kitchen). I haven't seen any stains yet. It may be less noticeable with granite that has mutliple colors in it as well.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #138 of 856 Old 09-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here are the final pictures of the bar with the stained panels/corbels installed. I jsut need some quarter round and thats it for now. I may do a foot rail at some point.

Gorgeous! I'd definately add some foot-rail, but that's just my opinion. You can get it in silver (stainless looking) or brass for sure.

Great job!!

Click to view

Click to view
post #139 of 856 Old 09-04-2006, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bud

Very, very nice! Very classy looking.
post #140 of 856 Old 09-04-2006, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know that if you don't seal it, you may get water marks, depending on the stone. I was told to seal mine twice a year for the lighter colors and once a year for the darker (we have a dark granite in our kitchen). I haven't seen any stains yet. It may be less noticeable with granite that has mutliple colors in it as well.

Bud

Well my granite tiles are black. I think I'm going to pick up some more seal and do it again. I was more worried about the grout then the tile, but looks like I'm going to have to watch out for the tiles as well.

BTW, I picked up a wooden bar caddy set from this place,

http://alcoholcontrols.barstore.com/

It looks like this only I got the cherry wood set,

Works really well even for day to day stuff. The set I got also came with two coaster holders, and 6 compartment condiment holder.

But the multi function piece the I put the image in is the most useful piece for me. Napkins, coasters, openers, toothpicks, all handy in one organized small "box".
post #141 of 856 Old 09-05-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I think it turned out well. Still waiting on my glass doors, the ones installed were the wrong ones. I need to install the dishwasher and hook up the faucet as well. Oh and reverse the door on the fridge. Still need to figure out the backsplash as well.

I don't think I'd go with a brass footrail, but will likely add something at some point.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #142 of 856 Old 09-05-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think I'd go with a brass footrail, but will likely add something at some point.

Bud

I think that is a good call. As soon as I finished my bar, I was going to add one cause it "really looked like it needed it". But once I added bar stools you almost don't look down there anymore.

Where are you needing the backsplash? Just on the bar itself or above the sink/frig as well?
post #143 of 856 Old 09-05-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Definately around the sink area, but would likely continue under the wall cabinets. I just don't want it to look more like a kitchen, so tile is out. I don't think I want a mirror and wanted to something a little more creative. Someone mentioned stamped copper. I was also thinking about using tin ceiling tiles, assuming I found the right look. Not sure though.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #144 of 856 Old 09-05-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I used the tin ceiling tiles for the back splash in my kitchen. It is fairly easy to work with. You will need a couple of pairs of good tin snips and a metal bit for a drill. I just glued mine on (liqued nail) and didn't mess with nails.

I was planning on using the left over tin for the backsplash on the bar. However, I had some left over wood molding that fit perfectly, so I used that instead. I only had the area behind the bar to do.

post #145 of 856 Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

That looks pretty nice. Are those a dark silver or are they more black? Wasn't sure if the flash washed out the color.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #146 of 856 Old 09-06-2006, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the idea of the tin ceiling tiles as a backsplash. I've been trying to decide how to do a backsplash in my kitchen for a while now. I think I might steal that idea.

Bud - Your bar looks great. What stain did you use, btw?

Sdall - Weren't you considering a bar-table like BuffBakerGA awhile back? If so, I've updated the thread in the theater room forum with my project.
post #147 of 856 Old 09-06-2006, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That looks pretty nice. Are those a dark silver or are they more black? Wasn't sure if the flash washed out the color.

Bud

These are sort of a silver/grey background and if you look closely you see sort of black specks, if the makes sense.

Personally, I liked the tins, but didn't like the color. My wife picked the color so I'll giver her the credit or the blame. But she likes it, so guess that is all that matters.

We ordered about 12 samples before deciding on which color to get. We got from,

http://www.americantinceilings.com/?...FRZXWAoddBBCbQ

They have a section on using them as back splashes. It really is easy, tho remember this is tin. I cut my finger pretty good once. Here is the FAQ's for doing a back splash. BTW, they talk about adding trim to "finish" the ends. I just planned it where I any visible ends were "factory finished" so I really didn't bother with any trim. I had also added under counter lights, and they do reflect off the tin a little and look nice.

I noticed they added a note about uneven cutting with tin snips. This is VERY true. Now in my situation, I was planning on adding under counter lights, so when I had the cabinets installed I had them do a light rail. So when I cut the tins, I put the cut end at the top, where unless you stick your head under the counter, you can't see it. But if you don't have a light rail, you might follow their suggestion and have them cut. In my case I got luck and only wasted two pieces. I was able to slide the cut portion behind the microwave, so again, you don't see anything uneven. I ended up with a pretty clean look. Only one seem didn't come out like I wanted, but it is back in the corner where you don't see it.

http://www.americantinceilings.com/p...plash-faq.html
post #148 of 856 Old 09-06-2006, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the links, I'll check it out. I have Tin snips and from my previous work doing some HVAC, you're right, ragged edge. I was thinking that if you left a 1/2 or so extra on the edge you cut you could probably fold the extra over and flatten it out creating a clean line. Not sure how think the panels are though. When I was forming an in-wall return, i clamped some sheet metal between a few 2x4s and folded it over to get a straight line. Might work, not sure.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #149 of 856 Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bud - Your bar looks great. What stain did you use, btw?

Thanks. I found out about a place that does stain matching. I wanted to match the color of the front of the bar with the new cabinets. You bring in a sample that you want to match, like a door and a piece of scrap wood you want to use and they'll mix up a stain for you. In my case, there was a pre-made stain (#235, but don't remember the color name) that was very close, so I went with that. Apparently the stain is popular among woodworkers, the guy that helped me make the panels owns a cabinet shop and he swears by the stuff. They also made wood fillers for all sorts of woods.

It's called Wood Finishers Supply and they have multiple locations/distributors, including the one here close to me. Click on the complete list of locations.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #150 of 856 Old 09-06-2006, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the links, I'll check it out. I have Tin snips and from my previous work doing some HVAC, you're right, ragged edge. I was thinking that if you left a 1/2 or so extra on the edge you cut you could probably fold the extra over and flatten it out creating a clean line. Not sure how think the panels are though. When I was forming an in-wall return, i clamped some sheet metal between a few 2x4s and folded it over to get a straight line. Might work, not sure.

Bud

Sounds like you have more experience then I do with the metal. I had no luck folding or bending the tin. For example, in the one corner I had, I was just going to use a single piece, bent at the corner. I couldn't get it straight or tight enough, so I cut the piece. But again, with your experience, you might make it work.

You can order samples (like we did for color) and that might give you a hint as to what might work. Also, you might be able to rent or borrow as heavy duty guillotine cutter. I would think this would give you a straight line.

Overall I'm happy with the look and how it installed. I wanted a more nuetral color, but wife one out on that....but I'm not bitter
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page