Bar plans? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 856 Old 12-23-2006, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For shelving, I would install 1/4" thick glass shelves. This is what I did for shelving in my bathroom and love how it turned out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 856 Old 12-24-2006, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Pat, thanks. I see it on their site now. Their search engine is dismal. 199.00! You did get a good deal. I need to pick up a second beverage cooler as well in the next month or so (prior to Superbowl).

Looks like you last posted in early November. I've got it marked now. Looking forward to the new pictures!

Bud

I saw a unit similar at Costco for about $150 a while back. After reading a fellow AVS'ers experiece with these units, I passed. He had mentioned that they can develop mildew if not cleaned frequently between usage ( I am assuming after the unit is off and not being used and water is left in unit).

Here is what Skippy31 said about this type of unit;

I used to have one of these portable ice makers not the exact one referred to here. Now I have an ice maker built into my main fridge.

The portable unit worked really well (make ice really fast and lots of it) and did not require a water hookup. The only drawbacks were:

1. You need to clean it regularly to make sure it is sanitary especially after it's been sitting for a while (parhaps with water in it).

2. The fan on mine was quite loud. As a result in my open concept house I would only run the unit when I needed ice and then turn it off afterwards. Unit was too loud to run all the time in my application. It would preclude using it near a theater etc where it would be distracting.

Best Regards,

Skippy31

Randy

post #183 of 856 Old 12-24-2006, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

For shelving, I would install 1/4" thick glass shelves. This is what I did for shelving in my bathroom and love how it turned out.

You think it could handle the 36" width with no support in between? There would not be a lot of weight on them, 5-6 empty pint glasses. I would love to do glass. I know to get 4" X 36" I would have to have it cut and it would need to be tempered...just in case.

Guess I'll check with a couple of local glass companies....
post #184 of 856 Old 12-24-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Haven't posted any new pic's since my bar stool pic's. But really havn't done much more. Just some decorating (and father and law got a dart board for us for X-mas).

I did get my TV mounted and the trim installed around the opening under the TV and above the sink.

I am looking for some suggestions for shelving. See the window just left of the bar? It is about 4" deep and I thought I would put some 4" shelving in there to hold my pint classes. The window is 36" wide, so a little big for glass. Was thinking about just using some 1x4's and paint to match.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

I had a ~6' span HERE behind my bar that I wanted glass shelves for. I opted to put a center support in to break it in to two 36" spans. I was supporting liquor bottles, so I went w/ 3/8" glass, and they are VERY strong. I'd suspect 1/4" would be ok for just some glasses.

-Steve
post #185 of 856 Old 12-26-2006, 07:09 AM

I was going to say the 36" should be fine too, as long as you use think enough glass. I had a 30" window in my old house spanned by glass shelves. They held my glass collection with no problem.

As for an update on my bar, I found a sheet zinc supplier for the counter top and they are supposed to be sending me a sample of the .030" zinc today. That way I can get a better idea of the look along with an idea of how difficult it will be to fabricate.
post #186 of 856 Old 12-26-2006, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

I had a ~6' span HERE behind my bar that I wanted glass shelves for. I opted to put a center support in to break it in to two 36" spans. I was supporting liquor bottles, so I went w/ 3/8" glass, and they are VERY strong. I'd suspect 1/4" would be ok for just some glasses.

Nice looking. And your are right, you have a lot more weight on those then I will.
post #187 of 856 Old 12-28-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

You think it could handle the 36" width with no support in between? There would not be a lot of weight on them, 5-6 empty pint glasses. I would love to do glass. I know to get 4" X 36" I would have to have it cut and it would need to be tempered...just in case.

Guess I'll check with a couple of local glass companies....

Mine are 4 feet long and 12 inches wide. I got mine from one of the Glazing contractors we frequently use. With my span he said 1/4" was enough for what I was going to use it for, <20lbs overall.

post #188 of 856 Old 12-28-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I was in Best Buy the other day and saw the following fridge for $250, but they are showing it on their website for $350. Hopefully the store price it correct. It locks & has dual zones which I hadn't seen before.

If the price is really that much, then I'm thinking about this danby. Anybody know anything about them?

post #189 of 856 Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

I was in Best Buy the other day and saw the following fridge for $250, but they are showing it on their website for $350. Hopefully the store price it correct. It locks & has dual zones which I hadn't seen before...........................................

Just make sure either way, you get something that is made to be "built-in" if in fact your building it into a bar (ie:dishwasher in your kitchen) as they need to be vented differently. Most built in fridges/wine have vents down at the very bottom in the front.

Here are some good online companies to browse/shop:

http://www.summitappliance.com/
http://www.u-line.com/

Click to view

Click to view
post #190 of 856 Old 12-30-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just and FYI for this interested:

Just before x-mas Lowes had a small counter top wine frigerator, holds like eight bottles. It was like $80, now down to $60. They still had a pallet full of them. I asked the guy if they would go lower and he said maybe another $20 off after the weekend!

I'll keep my eye open. I really wanted something that would hold a case, but if I can pick it up for $40, I might just do it. Heck, might get two....
post #191 of 856 Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I've gotten a little bit further with mine. My main goal is to the top completed so it can be used for serving food for my little girls birthday party so I really need to hurry. The rest of the finish trim is going to have to come later. It's taking a while since I'm working on the rest of the trim for the Media Room at the same time.

I'm trying to figure out what to put behind the bar; plate glass mirror, picture/painting? I might be able to fit thin shelves for bar glasses, but not sure what I want to do.

post #192 of 856 Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
how did you make the elbow rest on the top? Is it a solid piece?

post #193 of 856 Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 AM

I finally got around to playing with the zinc sheet samples last night. I received two small squares at .030" and .027" thickness. The .027" sheet seems like it will easily be thick enough and it is quite a bit less expensive.

I cut and bent the .027" square to simulate a corner piece and then soldered the joint. Trying to bend it with the tools I have at home proved to me that I'll need to find a sheet metal break to get the bends I need, but I am not too concerned about that. The other thing I learned is that regular old tin solder does a fine job joining the seams. I don't have fine enough sand paper at home (probably need 1000 grit) to blend the seam to the zinc, but I am convinced that when I do, it will be nearly invisible. I'll post a pic this evening.
post #194 of 856 Old 01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I'm curious, have any pictures of the zinc stuff?

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #195 of 856 Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM

It took a while to get a clear picture because the sample is small and I had to zoom quite a bit to show detail, so getting it focused was a bear...

(...and I am about worthless with a camera)

Anyway, here is the .027 sample with two ends bent and the corner joint soldered. I think it will come out quite nice.

Like I said, I will need to find someone with a sheet metal break to get nice clean bends, but that shouldn't be too hard. It cuts really nice with metal shears, seems very dent/gouge resistant and can be finished many different ways. Apparently, zinc has been the material of choice for years at oyster/raw bars.
post #196 of 856 Old 01-23-2007, 09:40 AM

I found a home bar tutorial from Kegworks before I started designing my home bar. It was a HUGE help as I was better able to plan things.
The link is in their Tips & Tricks section at the very bottom of the web page.

I also bought most of my bar supplies from them.
post #197 of 856 Old 02-13-2007, 07:32 AM

Out of curiosity, what height did everyone use for their bar counter? I purchased my wine fridge and most of the wood this past weekend and am getting ready to start building this week.

It looks like standard bar height is around 42", but I would like to know what you guys used and if it is comfortable. Also, how much of an overhang were you using for your counter tops? 1" 1 1/4"?
post #198 of 856 Old 02-13-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

This weekend I actually found my original cutout layout that I took to Lowes for them to cut my plywood sides. I figured 42 inches for my finished top. So my side panels were 40.5 inches with a layer of 3/4 plywood and then the final 3/4 inch flooring on top of that. I wouldn't change my current bar height and the stools fit perfectly. If you decide to go with lower stools then you could drop your bar height down to accomodate lower stools.

Randy

post #199 of 856 Old 02-13-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Right about 42"

-Steve
post #200 of 856 Old 02-13-2007, 04:05 PM

Lots of great bars! Here is mine. Its modest, but it does the trick on a teacher's budget and its all mine!

Under the bar I have a small refridgerator, a wine cooler and my beer miester.
I used hanging cabinets and built them up to be base cabinets as I recessed them into the wall and I didnt have the depth for standard base cabinets.

I would like to do a couple of other things, but they will have to wait.

The pool table is a 4x8 w/ subway returns.

The LCD and AV equipment is upstairs in the living room.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
post #201 of 856 Old 02-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what height did everyone use for their bar counter? I purchased my wine fridge and most of the wood this past weekend and am getting ready to start building this week.

It looks like standard bar height is around 42", but I would like to know what you guys used and if it is comfortable. Also, how much of an overhang were you using for your counter tops? 1" 1 1/4"?

Most bars are generally 2-tiered - the 42" is for comfortably accomodating bar stools and those sitting on them. You are still going to want standard counter height (34"?) for a second, lower level for you to work at while behind the bar. 42" is too high (for most) to work on comfortably.
post #202 of 856 Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Most bars are generally 2-tiered - the 42" is for comfortably accomodating bar stools and those sitting on them. You are still going to want standard counter height (34"?) for a second, lower level for you to work at while behind the bar. 42" is too high (for most) to work on comfortably.

I agree w/ MS. My bar measures 41" from floor to top. My stools are 29" from the floor to the seat and it is quite comfortable. However, I built my bar about 10 years ago, before I had internet and people started to post plans. What I did was go the local establishments and measured. Yes I got some crazy looks, but I got the measurements I wanted.

The only thing that I regret is not making it 2 tiered. I also regret that I didnt buy a bigger house that would have allowed me to do that.

As for a sink, I wish I had one, but I just take the dishes (mainly glasses ) right upstairs and toss em in the sink. Its not too bad but...
post #203 of 856 Old 02-14-2007, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers71 View Post

Lots of great bars! Here is mine. Its modest, but it does the trick on a teacher's budget and its all mine!

Buck...where did you get your bar stools?
post #204 of 856 Old 02-14-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post

Buck...where did you get your bar stools?

To tell the truth, I dont remember I did a search on the net and found a place that had them. I will look through some of my paperwork and see if I have the place.
Sorry.
post #205 of 856 Old 02-14-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmustang View Post

Mine is 42-1/2". I only have a small 2-tiered area for the bar sink with a custom cabinet below and love how it turned out. Even though I didn't have the top completely done, testing it out at a party, it worked wonderfully. I was glad I didn't have the 2-tier because people congregated behind & in front of the bar and commented how nice it was. It was a great gathering area that I was hoping it would be. Once I install the bar rail, the overhang in front will be ~12" and I sit comfortably without hitting my knees on the front of the bar.

post #206 of 856 Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 PM

I thought it was 42", but I wanted to make sure. You know, "Measure twice..."

I was planning on doing a two-tier construction as well. Unfortunately, no sink. I didn't plan for running water or a drain down there when I finished the basement last year.

Anyway, here are the cabinets and the wine/beverage fridge. Actually, they will be moving forward about 4", so that outlet will be hidden (pure luck there). Don't pay attention to the mess down there right now.
LL
post #207 of 856 Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM

did you get them at lowes? they were similar to the ones that i was looking at for my back cabinets.

may i suggest getting another one around the same size and possibly a smaller one? I will tell you one thing, they will fill up quick. Being married, the wife has filled up the ones that I built behind the bar.

what are you going to do for a top? i did a piece of 3/4" oak vaneer ply and then stained it and put some Behr 50 over it.The Behr 50 is like 50 coats of poly in one application. I dont know if they make it anymore, but if you are going the wood route, check at a marine supply store, they would have some type of water proof varnish.

Good luck w/ the project and keep us posted.
post #208 of 856 Old 02-15-2007, 06:55 AM

I got them at Home Depot. I believe that both stores carry the same brand cabinets.

I would like to get more, but unfortunately space is at a premium downstairs. I kept trying to find a way to make it a L-shaped bar, but to keep it from overwhelming the room made the space behind the bar to tight.

I am thinking a way to get around this will be a second phase...a back bar. The pictures don't show it well, but there will be some room directly behind the bar for a back bar. Since that won't need to be full depth, I am planning on buying more of the same cabinets and cutting down the depth of them to maybe 18". I haven't sketched all that out but it seems like the way to go. If you go back a page or two, you will see a SketchUp render that shows my original plan (with a older design for the bar) from the other angle showing the bar from the front and you will see where I can put the back bar.

For the counter top I am going with metal. I purchased 3/4" MDF that I will be building up to standard counter top height 1 1/2" and then covering with .027" sheet zinc.
post #209 of 856 Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 PM

CF, might I suggest this for your back bar cabinets. Get some hanging cabinets. I know, I know, "They are way too short." The get some 2x10's and some plywood. Build up the base until they are the height that you want.

I did this with some cabinets behind my bar and recessed them. I put a small oak shelf on them and viola. A little work station and some extra cabinet space.

I will see if I still have the pics of the job.
post #210 of 856 Old 02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers71 View Post

Under the bar I have a small refridgerator, a wine cooler and my beer miester.
I used hanging cabinets and built them up to be base cabinets as I recessed them into the wall and I didnt have the depth for standard base cabinets.

I would like to do a couple of other things, but they will have to wait.

The pool table is a 4x8 w/ subway returns.

The LCD and AV equipment is upstairs in the living room.

Now that is a bar that I could belly up to and feel at home. Thanks for sharing your bar!

Randy

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page