Bar plans? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 858 Old 08-27-2005, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone got any suggestions for bar plans or places that sell them? Anyone actually have any experience with these plans or overall suggestions for building?

I'm wanting to buld a typical L shaped bar. The long end right at 8 ft then the shorter L part attaching to the wall at about 5 to 5.5 ft. I'm going to run electrical through it but not plumbing (I'm doing a free standing sink on back wall behind the bar).

I'm putting this in a room where the length is not an issue, but it is slightly narrow. Meaning I want the bar itself to be as narrow as possible so that you can easily wall around the bar even with people sitting at it. The only thing as far as depth goes that I want in the bar itself is a beverage center (bar fridgerator). I do want a lower level work space behind the bar and I want the bar top to cantilever out at least some so your legs are under the bar top.

I can't find a bar plan on line that fits all the major components I want. One is close but it is a full three feet in depth before I stick the bar top out a little. So I'm wondering how easy these plans are to modify? Should I just get one to give me the general idea, then make the size as I see fit? Or really, is there a point in getting plan? Should I just frame some boxes and go from there? My concern is not the rough in part, but in the finishing details. This will be in a very visible place in our house and my wife agrees we should put up a bar, it better be nice, or I'll never hear the end of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 858 Old 08-29-2005, 08:40 PM

When I was planning my basement bar, I went to quite a few sites for ideas, and one I believe is called barplans.com. I didn't use their plans, but I figured out the design and got ideas from the many sites I visited with examples. Good luck! It's a fun process...
post #3 of 858 Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Not really a bar, but I've been looking for a couple of years for something like this:
http://www.dannyveghs.com/bar23.htm

for my gameroom that has limited space around the pool table. No luck except for the unit in the photo, but they want like $1200 each whether 4, 5, or 6 foot.
post #4 of 858 Old 08-30-2005, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Sdallnct...

I was looking for the same thing a while ago, but I was hoping for free plans and I couldn't find any. If you dont mind paying for the plans, there are quite a few web sites willing to sell them.

I went ahead and build my own and designed it as well. Here is a simple plan that you can modify to your size and liking!! See my gallery or sig for a couple of pictures.

-Sean

Sorry about the image quality....converting from AutoCAD to Jpeg isn't pretty!

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
post #5 of 858 Old 08-31-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the idea guys! Due to my job, I'm probably going to have to put the actual building on hold (I work for a large insurance company on their Catastrophe Team- so sooner or later will be heading to the gulf coast area). However, I want to keep collecting ideas, maybe go ahead and buy some plans so when I get back can jump right in!

MaximAVS, geat bar! Did you attach to the ground or anything? I have tile over concrete slab. So I COULD go in the grout and into the slab, but I figure with even just basic framing and real plywood it would be heavy enough not to have to attach to the ground.
post #6 of 858 Old 09-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

The bar is not attached to the floor. It is plenty heavy not to move, but if you want to anchor yours down, you can use a masonary bit and some blue screws to tie it to the floor. Or use a power nailer (the .22cal variety) and fire nailes into the concrete throught the tile, but you risk cracking the tile unless you shoot through the grout lines!!

-Sean

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
post #7 of 858 Old 09-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Thanks for the idea guys! Due to my job, I'm probably going to have to put the actual building on hold (I work for a large insurance company on their Catastrophe Team- so sooner or later will be heading to the gulf coast area).

MY heart goes out to you - I wish you safety and health (both physical and mental) on that trip. I cannot even comprehend having to experience that and have to do it in a way to save your employer money when you feel for the victims.

Dennis
post #8 of 858 Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisgg View Post

MY heart goes out to you - I wish you safety and health (both physical and mental) on that trip. I cannot even comprehend having to experience that and have to do it in a way to save your employer money when you feel for the victims.

Dennis

I certainly appreciate the kind words, but I'm not sure what you mean by "save your employer money"????

I'm on a permanent Catastrophe Team a position I put in for 10 years ago and was fortunate to be selected. As part of this team all I ever do is travel the country helping people when they need it the most, after a disaster.

I have worked Hurricanes, Fires, Tornado's, Hail Storms, Floods, etc, etc. It is all I do. While I'm not technically an adjuster, I'm part of the same group. I mainly do training, assist with difficult issues, quality control, etc. If needed I can fill the roll of an adjuster, fill in for management, help with technical issues, be a classroom trainer, train one on one, etc.

I very, very proud of what I do and that I get to help people. I'm also proud for the company I work for who has never (in over 15 years total working for them) asked me to do something that I was uncomfortable with. And as further note of why I'm proud of who I work for, I just got an e-mail yesterday they my company donated a large some of money to the American Red Cross AND will match contributions dollar for dollar of any donation us employees make.
post #9 of 858 Old 09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I certainly appreciate the kind words, but I'm not sure what you mean by "save your employer money"????

I'm on a permanent Catastrophe Team a position I put in for 10 years ago and was fortunate to be selected. As part of this team all I ever do is travel the country helping people when they need it the most, after a disaster.

I have worked Hurricanes, Fires, Tornado's, Hail Storms, Floods, etc, etc. It is all I do. While I'm not technically an adjuster, I'm part of the same group. I mainly do training, assist with difficult issues, quality control, etc. If needed I can fill the roll of an adjuster, fill in for management, help with technical issues, be a classroom trainer, train one on one, etc.

I very, very proud of what I do and that I get to help people. I'm also proud for the company I work for who has never (in over 15 years total working for them) asked me to do something that I was uncomfortable with. And as further note of why I'm proud of who I work for, I just got an e-mail yesterday they my company donated a large some of money to the American Red Cross AND will match contributions dollar for dollar of any donation us employees make.

Hi,

I hope I didn't offend by that, I didn't mean to. I made the comment based on an insurance company is a company that, like the majority, is trying to make money. This is not to say that is wrong, if it weren't for companies making money there would be no jobs. Insurance companies gamble that these disasters won't happen and the customers are gambling that they will hoping they make out in the long end (by the recovery/repair will be more money than they paid for the insurance over a course of time). I realize that insurance companies do help, but they are not to be compared to the Red Cross or other non-profit organization that volunteers and is run on charity donations. Insurance companies are profit-oriented businesses. I help people with computer and network problems, disaster recovery (business IT side), etc., but I work for a profit company. I try to help my customers in any way they need, but the money the company makes helps keep me in a job. I am not the same as a volunteer helping poor with computer problems. Your job sounds very noble and very difficult (I could probably not do it as I would not be able to handle seeing such suffering and dying), but if you wanted to go above an beyond what the requirements of helping were, your company would probably not appreciate the extra costs, like mine if I gave away a bunch of my time free.

I hope I cleared up my comment.

Once again, I apologize if I offended you,

Dennis
post #10 of 858 Old 09-02-2005, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisgg View Post

Hi,

I hope I didn't offend by that, I didn't mean to. I made the comment based on an insurance company is a company that, like the majority, is trying to make money. This is not to say that is wrong, if it weren't for companies making money there would be no jobs. Insurance companies gamble that these disasters won't happen and the customers are gambling that they will hoping they make out in the long end (by the recovery/repair will be more money than they paid for the insurance over a course of time). I realize that insurance companies do help, but they are not to be compared to the Red Cross or other non-profit organization that volunteers and is run on charity donations. Insurance companies are profit-oriented businesses. I help people with computer and network problems, disaster recovery (business IT side), etc., but I work for a profit company. I try to help my customers in any way they need, but the money the company makes helps keep me in a job. I am not the same as a volunteer helping poor with computer problems. Your job sounds very noble and very difficult (I could probably not do it as I would not be able to handle seeing such suffering and dying), but if you wanted to go above an beyond what the requirements of helping were, your company would probably not appreciate the extra costs, like mine if I gave away a bunch of my time free.

I hope I cleared up my comment.

Once again, I apologize if I offended you,

Dennis

Thank you for the note, no offense taken...

While you are correct, an insurance company is a "for profit" business, you want your insurance company to be profitable. You want your insurance company to make money, and make LOTS of it for years and years. Why? Because when something like Katrina hits, it will take every bit of it and wipe out all of those previous years profits. You certainly don't want an insurance company to "not make money". Why? Where will the money come from if you have a claim?

Insurance companies realize exactly what could happen. It is not a gamble. Especially after hurricane Andrew, companies realized the importance of being ready with something major hits. They have worked with the federal and state governments to make sure those that want insurance, can get it from some place. I won't speak for all companies but I have been working for mine long enough to know one simple thing, when something like this happens they will spare NO expense doing everything they can to help. They will bring in toys for kids who have lost all of their stuff, they will have water, coffee, snacks, they will let people use our phones, faxes, they will help people find someplace to stay, whatever. None of which is "covered under the policy" but it is the right thing to do. You are correct, we do not pay for damage that is not covered, we do not go around handing out money to those that did not have insurance. But if everyone had bought insurance, the right type with the right coverage, then all would get some money. And I understand that some have to choose between eating and buying insurance and this is where in almost every case, the federal government will step in.

Also, people who by insurance should not look at it as a gamble or "savings account". Insurance works by a very simple principle, a lot of people pay premiums that cover the claims of just a few. Insurance does not and cannot work if everyone turns in a claim. You buy insurance for the piece of mind it brings you and for the rare times something happens.

No offense was taken and I certainly didn't mean to sound like I do my job for free. We made a promise to those that bought our product, and I feel great that I get to help honor that promise and help them get their life back together. And I agree, I often work right next to, in the same tents, in the same office with the American Red Cross or other organizations. They are wonderful people!
post #11 of 858 Old 01-28-2006, 07:41 PM

Back to the original discussion...

A great place for for Home Bar Plans and ideas is The Easy Home Bar Plans site.
Just search for Easy Home Bar Plans in Yahoo or Google.
post #12 of 858 Old 01-28-2006, 07:44 PM

Ok, here it is...

Easy Home Bar Plans

The best Bar Plans I have found for the price!
post #13 of 858 Old 01-28-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
skip92 barplan.com was in post #2.
post #14 of 858 Old 01-28-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

skip92 barplan.com was in post #2.

props for being nice about it

i would have said skip92 was a troll trying to promote the website for his financial gain.

oops crap... sorry just hate bad intentions

post #15 of 858 Old 01-29-2006, 08:09 AM

http://rabeb25.mikesdecks.com/Theater%20Room/

Towards the bottom you can see the bar I built, nothing too fancy but works great.

Bryan
post #16 of 858 Old 01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
PAW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
skip92
I believe you can't post URLs until you reach a certain # of posts. I think the # is 5. That's to prevent trolls from promoting a website for financial gain. The forum rules and policies are posted some where. I was wondering why you post the same thing like three times.

OH! Welcome to the forum.

Aubrey
post #17 of 858 Old 01-31-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip92 View Post

Ok, here it is...

Easy Home Bar Plans

The best Bar Plans I have found for the price!

Actually that is the site I joined about a month ago. I have not started yet as I had been working out of town, but MAY be home for a while. As it turned out, it may have been good to wait. The guy at the site is coming out with a new plan any day of exactly the type bar I want to build. He will call it the "Kegger L shape bar", but I do not plan to put in a keg, but will put in a frig. But the overall design is exactly what I want, L shape with work bartenders work area (I plan to have electrical, but no sink as my sink will be a free standing unit behind the bar).

Soon as his new plan is up, I will at least print and start to modify the size for my needs.
post #18 of 858 Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabeb25 View Post

http://rabeb25.mikesdecks.com/Theater%20Room/

Towards the bottom you can see the bar I built, nothing too fancy but works great.

Bryan

Very nice! Is that flagstone? Did you use concrete backer board?

Right at this moment, I'm thinking about an engineered stone bar top - quartz, home depot has it as Silstone. We did our kitchen in it and the guys did a great job and might see if I can get it directly through them. For the bartender work area, will probably do either a stained/sealed top or my formica.

I'd rather save the money and find a DIY top, but the granite look is hard to beat.
post #19 of 858 Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM

Well Thanks!
The top is Slate, and the sides and footrest are just regular ceramics. No I did not use a backer.

Bryan
post #20 of 858 Old 02-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I'd rather save the money and find a DIY top, but the granite look is hard to beat.

I used granite tile on my DIY bar. Pretty much the first thing I ever built/designed of any substance and it turned out not too bad.

only caution is seal the entire thing not just the grout.... my dumb ass had a new years party and now there are ring stains from the bottom of glasses...... not very happy about it.... read that it may just have to do with quality of the granite especially with the black ones... oh well its a bar.

Anyhow the look is cool and relatively cheap.

http://www.crackity.com/gallery/Bar

post #21 of 858 Old 02-01-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Still a work in progress, but I used dimensional lumber and plywood and came up with this;

a bit behind the bar

This bar is a single plywood thickness attached to the existing sink cabinet. Remove two small bolts and I can slide the bar (via nylon slides attached to the bottom) anywhere in the room to move items in and out of the door on the right.
post #22 of 858 Old 02-01-2006, 07:44 PM
PAW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heynow^
Very nice!!

Aubrey
post #23 of 858 Old 02-03-2006, 11:06 AM

Liked: 12
Very Nice HeyNow^!

Very clean and professional looking. Looks very functional too!

Love the helmet collection you have going there.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #24 of 858 Old 02-04-2006, 12:55 PM

Why buy plans????? Its sooooooo easy. I love that helmet collection. I started mine last week. Im i the process of glueing all the college pictures and mini scheudles i have to the top, i will then apply laquer (sp) to it. Bar is going to be all cheery, gonna be sweet. I havea similar helmet collection but mine is all college and hs helmets. IO have over 100 mini and full sized helmets
post #25 of 858 Old 02-04-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mantown2,

That's a lot of helmets. I just have the 32 NFL team helmets. My Buckeyes helmet and of course the most important one is my son's HS helmet, jersey and his two state championship games(lost both).

Show us some pics ManTown2
post #26 of 858 Old 02-04-2006, 02:05 PM

I played peewee , High School, and college football, so ive collected them over that time period. Many of the Helmets are mini helmets. I also have a large collection of other "odd" college football memorabilia. I coach hs football. I am somewhat of a fb junkie. I cant imagine life without, when i go out on a saturday morning and see people or hear people talking about doing things during the day, I wonder "dont these people know that ther is college football on!!!!" Kinda twisted I know. Anyway, DO YOU HAve any other pics of your "sportsbar"????
post #27 of 858 Old 02-04-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I will be starting a separate thread soon. I don't want to hijack this thread...

Football is Life.
post #28 of 858 Old 02-04-2006, 02:25 PM

go right ahead start a new one but its too late youve already hijacked this one, friggin terrorist
link me to the new one
post #29 of 858 Old 02-04-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Here you go Coach. Thanks for all that you do for our youth! Your countless hours contributing to our youth and making men out or our boys is sincerely appreciated. My son idolizes all of his coaches especially his Pee Wee coach. Makes me proud.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=640633
post #30 of 858 Old 02-04-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Heynow,

Great bar. Gave me some great ideas! I like your track lighting (Home Depot/Lowes - think I have seen those.). Lighting will be an issue for me as I have vaulted ceilings and right now the only thing for lighting I have is a ceiling fan and some skylights! I may have to pop some wall lighting in...
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page