I need an AV switch; Any recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 419 Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to buy an AV switch, for my Denon AVR-3300 does not have enough optical and component inputs--it only has 2 component inputs and 3 digital audio inputs. I am in the process to add a Japanese import PS2 to my system, but I don't have a way for my Denon receiver to accommodate this new PS2. And before I forget I have comcast top box set hooked directly to my HDTV, but I was not able to hook up its optical 5.1 audio output to my receiver; also let me just mention that I have two component inputs on my HDTV, one used by the comcast box, and the other for everything else via my AV receiver.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope to avoid many questions down the line.

I'd appreciate any comment and suggestions. Please, only post where to buy if you have had experience with the e-tailer (or online vendor), and you know it is a reliable online retailer.

Thanks.

Regards,
orestesdd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 419 Old 12-04-2005, 04:49 PM

I own, and am very happy with, the Audio Authority Model 1154A. I have had it only for a couple of months, but I am impressed with it so far. It has four Component/Optical/Digital Coax inputs. This is the only item I have purchased from this e-tailer but I had no problems with them. I believe the name is Copperbox. It will probably be one of the first ones to show when you search the product. Happy on-line shopping!

Re:Calibration
It may not always be bright, but it is never wrong!
post #3 of 419 Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Tyson. I will look into it. I think this is what I want.

Regards,
orestesdd
post #4 of 419 Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 PM

You're very welcome, and welcome to the forum!

Re:Calibration
It may not always be bright, but it is never wrong!
post #5 of 419 Old 12-08-2005, 10:27 PM

Liked: 12
I just purchased the Joytech 240C. It was recently released and has 7:1 (7 in and 1 out). It has component, composite, optical and Ethernet. It can be controlled manually or with a IR remote. This is great since I can program my Pronto easily for it. The comparable Pelican product was similar but was a manual switch box. Plus the Joytech was cheaper than the Pelican!

It doesn't do any conversion (component converted to composite or s-video). But it will convert all video signals to RF if you just want to hook it up to a plain ol TV.

So far so good. For the price, it can't be beat.

Look for it at your local Best Buy.
post #6 of 419 Old 12-11-2005, 03:51 AM

I'll second the above recommendation on the Joytech 240C. I bought one last week (also from Best Buy) for $89.99 after going in there to look for the Pelican product.

I had a similar problem as orestesdd in that my Harmon Kardon AVR75 receiver is so old that it doesn't even have component inputs, only one optical input, and one digital coax input and my TV only has two component inputs and I had run out of capacity, plus I hated having to select different a/v inputs on the various devices just to switch between cable and DVD, for example.

This device killed two birds with one stone, as it were. As you can see from the back panel it has plenty of capacity, and I now only have to press one button on the Joytech 240C's remote to switch both audio and video between devices.

To my untrained, though at least moderately discerning eye I could see no difference between video from my SA 8300HD cable box, or my 480p DVD player connected either through the Joytech 240C or directly to my HDTV.

It looks a lot nicer than the Pelican, and has a hi-fi component footprint. The other thing that I'd add to Elfman's comments is that you can program the 5 character LCD display to match whatever devices you have connected (e.g 1 = Cable, 2 = DVD, 3 = Media, 7 = Front, etc.)
post #7 of 419 Old 12-16-2005, 07:48 PM

I've heard and read other reviews that the Joy Tech 240C doens't pass a full HDTV signal, it'll have wavy lines or what not. Anyone try it?
post #8 of 419 Old 12-21-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremegamer View Post

I've heard and read other reviews that the Joy Tech 240C doens't pass a full HDTV signal, it'll have wavy lines or what not. Anyone try it?

I will say I had the Pelican switcher box and I was experiencing wavy lines rolling up the screen when in 1080i mode. A friend reproduced the SAME problem on his own Pelican switcher box on his 1080i TV. This is the more recent Pelican A/V switch with the remote control.

I took it back and got the Joytech 240C and can report, quite happily, that there are no interference issues at all, and 1080i looks great. I'm using it for all my consoles including my 360, and it works great. I even have it plugged into my universal remote and it changes inputs like a champ.

+1 for the Joytech over the Pelican.
post #9 of 419 Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

This Joytech 240C sounds promising! I have the Pelican switch box and have been happy with it. My only gripe is no remote control.

I might go in and pick up this Joytech just for that!!!

Sean

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
post #10 of 419 Old 12-21-2005, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs View Post

This Joytech 240C sounds promising! I have the Pelican switch box and have been happy with it. My only gripe is no remote control.

I might go in and pick up this Joytech just for that!!!

Sean

If you have the non-remote Pelican, keep it. My friend and I had no problems with our non-remote Pelican switchers. As soon as we switched to the "new" remote-controlled Pelican switchers, we encountered this 1080i interference issue. Clearly there isn't enough shielding somewhere in the casing around the IR hardware.

The Joytech is a much better unit since it's smarter, you can customize the LCD to however you want to call each device (5 letters max), and just feels more sturdy than the Pelican device.
post #11 of 419 Old 12-22-2005, 03:04 PM

I ended up buying the new Pelican 2.0 switch. It has an LCD screen, switches optical and coaxial audio as well. Hooked it up and played around with it today, no issues in 720p or 1080i that I can see. Very happy with it.
post #12 of 419 Old 01-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremegamer View Post

Yes. I have both a SA 8300HD cable box, and a D-Link DSM-520 HD Media Server hooked up to the Joytech 240C. Both pass a 1080i signal to my HDTV and there are no issues with any distortion that I can detect. My HDTV does not, however, support 720p (it's old) but I suspect that this would not be an issue either.
post #13 of 419 Old 01-02-2006, 05:04 PM

That Joytech one looks pretty good, but I'm looking for one with coaxial digital inputs, anyone know of any that aren't too expensive?
post #14 of 419 Old 01-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Yeah, it looks like that Pelican Universal System Selector Pro 2.0 that extremegamer mentioned above will work for you. It has three digital coaxial inputs and one out and is in the same price range as the Joytech.
post #15 of 419 Old 01-02-2006, 09:46 PM

Does it come with extra cables like the Pelican? Granted I would never use them, but it never hurts to ask.
post #16 of 419 Old 01-17-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm think about the Joytech too. Any negatives esp. on quality?

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #17 of 419 Old 01-17-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoz View Post

That Joytech one looks pretty good, but I'm looking for one with coaxial digital inputs, anyone know of any that aren't too expensive?

Depending on your set up, you could easily set this up. If your are using component or s-video for your inputs, your unused video composite connection (yellow) could technially work for your coax digital audio connection. All of your connections should do that though since your output composite would have to go into the the coax input of your amp. But I think it could work.
post #18 of 419 Old 01-17-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hernandez32 View Post

Does it come with extra cables like the Pelican? Granted I would never use them, but it never hurts to ask.

Yes it does. It does NOT come with a Digital (optical) cable though. But comes with one set of everything else.
post #19 of 419 Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

I have been using this for about a month with great success. I have not noticed any video or audio signal noise what so ever.
post #20 of 419 Old 01-21-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfman View Post

I have been using this for about a month with great success. I have not noticed any video or audio signal noise what so ever.

Same here.

I have my SA 8300HD cable box, d-link DSM-520 HD media server, progressive scan dvd player, and dvd recorder all hooked up to it using component / optical cables. Video out to my HDTV and audio out to my receiver. No signal issues whatsoever.
post #21 of 419 Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Anybody know where I can find the Joytech in the US? I've been searching... drove around, no dice.

TIA

(sorry... forgot to mention that I have been scouring the sites listed on Joytech's retailer list, and nothing is coming up other than Best Buy)
post #22 of 419 Old 01-31-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, only BB here in the USA I have seen it also. THey are backorder.

post #23 of 419 Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Yep, only BB here in the USA I have seen it also. THey are backorder.

Crap. I guess I'll wait. I have the Pelican Pro (not the 2.0) and it does look pretty assy in HD on a 55". Thanks. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
post #24 of 419 Old 01-31-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Someone over on the 4805 thread mentioned that the Pelican 2.0 has issues with bright scenes and explosions so I am staying far from that, however I have not heard of any issues thus far of the Joytech in this regard.

post #25 of 419 Old 01-31-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Someone over on the 4805 thread mentioned that the Pelican 2.0 has issues with bright scenes and explosions so I am staying far from that, however I have not heard of any issues thus far of the Joytech in this regard.

The only issue I do recall seeing with the Joytech was something in regards to a screen in Guitar Hero. I just wish I could find the stinking thing... their website, and supposed list of North American retailers, is pretty much a lark.
post #26 of 419 Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGraney View Post

Anybody know where I can find the Joytech in the US? I've been searching... drove around, no dice.

Yeah, the only place I've seen it available was Best Buy... which is where I got mine (in-store).
post #27 of 419 Old 02-03-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I have no issues whatsoever with my Joytech box in this regard. Since my last posting I added a Panasonic DMR-ES20 DVD recorder to my setup and been playing around with video from the different sources.

Last weekend I was playing Batman Begins (plenty of explosions) and The Day After Tomorrow (lots of bright snow scenes) on my regular progressive scan DVD player, the ES20, and VOD copies wirelessly (802.11g) from my media storage server to my D-Link DSM520 HD media server all of which go through my Joytech 240C and there were no issues whatsoever.

As I mentioned before I also have my SA 8300HD cable box routed through the Joytech too and there are no issues there either.

At the end of the day this box doesn't cost a lot, delivers a lot, and if you buy it from BB and happen to not like it, then they have their 31 day money back guarantee. My recommendation... give it a try.
post #28 of 419 Old 02-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsxrayelk View Post

Yeah, the only place I've seen it available was Best Buy... which is where I got mine (in-store).

It's on order from Best Buy... none of the local BBs had them. Sadly, it's on backorder, so I have to wait.
post #29 of 419 Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

unfortunarely my local 6 BBs do not have it and it is backordered online. I wish I could pick it up locally since I have some gift cards for them.

post #30 of 419 Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:

The only issue I do recall seeing with the Joytech was something in regards to a screen in Guitar Hero.

I have yet to hook my PS2 up to the Joytech, because I have it in another room on a different setup. If I have time I'll give it a try, but I don't have Guitar Hero.

Quote:

I just wish I could find the stinking thing... their website, and supposed list of North American retailers, is pretty much a lark.

I found mine in Best Buy, but in-store. I walked in all ready to buy the Pelican switcher, and then saw this thing next to it... looking sweeter, and $10 cheaper. This was a couple of months ago though, back when they first arrived... so maybe I got mine before too many people had heard about it but I seem to remember seeing them on the shelf in my local BB the last time I was in there.

Are you looking online only, or did you look in-store? Hope you find one.
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page